On the subject of hay balers, and getting one's hay rolled....

Help Support CattleToday:

ohiosteve said:
I run all old. iron at home and put up a decent amount of small squares. At work however I run a 7310r and a Hesston big square baler, and in that field in your video I'd be running about 20mph and thinking about what a waste of time and $$ it was.

I tried to buy this baler but my John Deere dealer said they weren't available in the U.S., I even offered to have it imported, but no dice.

https://youtu.be/QncdCK8pCoc

************* said:
Richnm said:
Love John Deere! That baler could easily handle a double raked row. This is my rake it's a Darf, the best rake ever made and is what I use. https://postimg.cc/ZvYxJwQQ

I want!!!

That alfalfa looks awesome. That's what it is right?
Yes Alfalfa

i should of made a video of me pumping out bales every 10-20' .. baled the neighbors down the road a couple years ago.. probably some of the best soil in the world. you walk on it and its so fluffy you sink. driving the tractor over it the ground moves. i bet if you went down 20' it'd still be top soil

I hate thin hay. Even when raking at 12-14 mph I still had to weave.
That baler probably didn't even know it was being used. Mine is on year 3 with around 11,000 bales and I bet 90% of them have been wrapped up at 10-12 mph. We don't mess around.

sim.-ang.king said:
M-5 said:
sim.-ang.king said:
Big shot of fertilizer a month ago would of helped things along.
Wet winters mean you need more fertilizer in the spring.

I'm just jealous you can make dry hay. Doesn't look like we will get any done for another week, or maybe two.
Ought to be good and done by then. :cry2: :lol:

You would think a bto would know that.

I wish this STO could afford to buy more fert like a BTO could.

Toss in some Austrian Winter (Field) peas this fall. Wink. Amazing what they will do for a pasture at 40 bucks a bag and 15#/Ac.

T & B farms said:
That baler probably didn't even know it was being used. Mine is on year 3 with around 11,000 bales and I bet 90% of them have been wrapped up at 10-12 mph. We don't mess around.

what baler are you using?

cowrancher75 said:
T & B farms said:

what baler are you using?

That's a nice set-up BH. I run a similar one.

Having baled a lot of hay in two different areas of the country I will simply say putting up hay is so locally specific it almost boggles the mind.

As a kid I used to get sent out to bale at dusk and bale until 2 am just to have enough humidity to put up alfalfa with some leaves. I had to explain to my dad that I live somewhere now where it can be "to humid" to bale. He thought I was nuts. I have a tiny field with enough elevation change/humidity change that I can bale the low area and be too dry on the hill and bale the hill fine and have thick dew covering the low ground.

Latest posts