on the road

Help Support CattleToday:

well it's great to hear the offers! and the suggestions for unloading at different places since i've not done this before. :)

kathy":1teyjemd said:
what's the longest anybody's had to travel to get to a show? How do your animals fare while traveling?

Well I,m not in to showing We have transported bulls from almost 2000 miles away we would usually overnite / feed /water twice along the way for 12 hrs.

Kathy;

Here is a message from someone in Sequim, WA that brought cattle to the Star of Texas show in Austin. I sent him an email specifically for you and your situation. I talked to John tonight about your delimna. I agree with all of John's statements.

If you are coming to Houston, for heavens sake come on. Ignore most of the posters on this board. They have not ever done it and they don't know what they are talking about. I'm hauling some to NC at the end of the month. They will look just fine when we get there. They may lose some gut, but will pick right back up when we get there.

Good luck
Greg

"Hi Greg,

I'd be glad to tell you how we travel. The first time we were going to haul 1000 miles or more I thought the only way was to go like hell and get there non-stop. We quit doing that on our annual trip to Cow Palace and started staying overnight in a motel each way.
I put a rail at about 16 inches off the deck down the left side of the trailer. We tie the cattle with maybe 18 inches of lead to that. This gives them enough slack to get up, lie down and to eat. We don't haul more than what they can mostly all lay down at once. ( even if you made certain they all had room to lie down at once, some would crowd forward or back in such away to prevent others from being able to lie down at times.)If most of them have room to lie down they seem to work it out. Tieing them all to one side keeps the manure all on the right side; and lets me feed and water on the left with only minimal trouble. We feed medium quality grass hay and show cows get a little grain while traveling. They seldom will drink for 24 hours on the road. I usually try to present water to them from 12 to 24 hours out then twice a day after that. This means climbing over the leads and that can be fun. I also keep track of which ones have not drank at 24 hours and spend more time encouraging those until they do drink but I don't worry about it until after 24 hours. Also, we do not carry water with us but that would be advantages to do so. We find we can beg or find water at rest stops, service stations and so on. We try to get from 500 to 800 miles each day. We stay in motels at night along the freeways. I always ask for access to water for the stock when checking in and usually find that they are very accommodating. We find Super 8's usually have parking for larger vehicles and have proven to be helpful, but we have stayed at many other chains.
The cattle did fine in one trip over the southern Rockies at temps below zero. That night we kept going to get to lower elevation and about 16 to 20 degrees above zero before we stayed the night. A brand new Super 8 let us haul water buckets through their new lobby and didn't complain. The cows seldom bawl or make any noise.
The longest haul: We left home with 8 head dropped 3 before going across the Rockies at the beginning of day 4 we were in eastern Nebraska and had seen a sign for a county fair grounds. The trailer was getting pretty foul and our destination was New Jersey, so we found the fair grounds, noticed their was a horse event going on, drove in around the horse trailers and RVs until we found a manure pile, pitched out and went on our way. We have seldom sought out a place to unload for the night and until recently I didn't even lock the trailer at night. Sadly, I think I should do that now. We have never had an animal get sick or die on the road.
Hope this will help you.

John

Kathy,
Lay over at least once at a fairground or breeders farm. Breeders can be quite accomodating. Just call them. Take the halters off to let them run and exersise. Feed them a little grain to keep their rumen going and lots of hay and water. Over night in the trailer feed lots of hay and water. Take the halters off if possible so they can move around. No grain. They will do pretty good . Arrive 2 or 3 days early. Paste them after arriving to get the rumen working better and feed grain, hay and water. Houston has chorline in the water. Take Care, Sterlingbp

this is for all who have helped, thanks to sf for forwarding that email. We're headed down!

kathy":i6l132vj said:
this is for all who have helped, thanks to sf for forwarding that email. We're headed down!

That is terrific Kathy. Glad you are coming down. Maybe we'll see you in Houston.

Latest posts