oldest bull

Help Support CattleToday:

S&S Farms

Reaction score
Just curious what is the age of the oldest bull and breed you have walking your pastures breeding cattle.

Mine is an Interstate son, polled hereford, a 2000 model.

My nephew just shipped a Red Angus bull that I sold him that was 13 so I guess he bred till he was 12. I've had quite a few bulls last till 9 or 10-i've found if your a little tough on them when they're young they'll last a long time. I've had some grain fat ones that never got through a summer too.

Northern Rancher":1mszfyi2 said:
My nephew just shipped a Red Angus bull that I sold him that was 13 so I guess he bred till he was 12. I've had quite a few bulls last till 9 or 10-i've found if your a little tough on them when they're young they'll last a long time. I've had some grain fat ones that never got through a summer too.

That must make you feel good though as a breeder that your boys last that long and are still productive to what they (the Buyer) want that they do not get rid of them until they have too.Some would say you are not going to make any money that way,and others would say your boys are worth alot of money if they can out produce and outlast the others.

just shipped a 9 year old angus bull that was still breeding and producing nice calves but started to get an attitude.

Oldest I ever had was a Beefmaster bull who was 9 when I took him off. I now got a 6 yr old Limousin, but will be replacing him very soon. Usually like to trade them out 3-7 years of age.

My current bull is a 2000 model Brangus. We had one old boy until he was 12!! I personally like a bull that can go the distance and I really like his daughters!! :)

That Red Angus bull was a bull I bought from Dylan Biggs-the original grass test bull man-sorry Kit lol. He was the high gaining bull on grass that summer but had a real good VC 105 mother-I sold him as a five year old to my nephew and luckily I talked him into drawing him when he was ten so there's a bit of semen on him-he leaves pretty useful daughters. Personally I think every excess bucket of grain a bull gets is just another nail in his coffin.

This Butler bull is a 93 model and is still breeding. Had someone try to buy him a couple of weeks ago when I was in Gulfport, MS at a sale and I told them that he was at his final place. We're still getting calves out of him. We use him on small groups of cows now.

100_0265.jpg

Northern Rancher":f2nndz3v said:
Heck 13 is just warming up for a longhorn-he doesn't show his age too much now does he.
I believe 2007 - 1993 = 14

How many cows? Do you have to supplement him much, or does he hold his own on grass?

He got a few beef pellets with his hay over the winter but that's about it. He holds up pretty well. He's put out heifers that have 50" of horn tip to tip at two years old. That's what these horn folks are looking for.