OLDER COW HAD CALF ONE MONTH AGO, COW IS OFF HER FEED

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

COW IS 10 YEARS OLD MORE OR LESS, WAS IN GOOD CONDITION PRIOR TO CALVING. ONE WEEK PRIOR TO CALVING SHE WOULD HANG TO HERSELF OCCASSIONALLY, NOTHING APPEARED TO BE WRONG, SHE WOULD JOIN THE OTHERS IN A FEW HOURS. DELIVERY OF CALF WAS UNEVENTFULL, ON HER OWN , FREE IN THE PASTURE. SHE AND CALF STAYED AWAY FROM THE OTHERS MOST OF THE TIME. OCCASSIONALLY WOULD JOIN THE OTHERS. COW SEEMS TIRED AND APPEARS NOT TO HAVE MUCH MILK. WOULD STAND IN POND FOR SEVERAL HOURS ABOUT THE FIRST WEEK AFTER DELIVERY. CALF SEEMS FINE. SHE JOINS THE HERD FOR A DAY OR TWO HERE AND THERE. THEN SHE IS BACK TO HANGING TO HERSELF. CALF BEGINS TO SHOW A LACK OF PROGRESS. COW WILL FOLLOW A BUCKET OF FEED BUT WILL NOT EAT. AFTER CONFINNING FOR TWO DAYS SHE EATS ALMOST NOTHING AND DRINKS VERY LITTLE , TENDS TO HER CALF, ALLOWING IT TO SUCK AND SHE LICKS IT A LITTLE. SHE APPEARS TO HAVE NO MILK. WE ARE STARTING THE CALF ON BOTTLE.COW APPEARS BLOATED, AND HAS BEGUN TO DROLL, BUT LOOKS ATTENTIVE WHEN APPROACHED. SHE CAN WALK OKAY, BUT DOES SEEM WEARY. HAS DIFFICULTY IN GETTING UP, BUT DOES SO ON HER OWN. I HAVE WONDERED IF IT IS A OUT OF PLACE STOMACH , FROM DELIVERY?
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hi.Best advice I can give you is to get your vet to examine her. It sounds like an LDA.

Good Luck
V
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
ANNGUSS":2ok701io said:
COW IS 10 YEARS OLD MORE OR LESS, WAS IN GOOD CONDITION PRIOR TO CALVING. ONE WEEK PRIOR TO CALVING SHE WOULD HANG TO HERSELF OCCASSIONALLY, NOTHING APPEARED TO BE WRONG, SHE WOULD JOIN THE OTHERS IN A FEW HOURS. DELIVERY OF CALF WAS UNEVENTFULL, ON HER OWN , FREE IN THE PASTURE. SHE AND CALF STAYED AWAY FROM THE OTHERS MOST OF THE TIME. OCCASSIONALLY WOULD JOIN THE OTHERS. COW SEEMS TIRED AND APPEARS NOT TO HAVE MUCH MILK. WOULD STAND IN POND FOR SEVERAL HOURS ABOUT THE FIRST WEEK AFTER DELIVERY. CALF SEEMS FINE. SHE JOINS THE HERD FOR A DAY OR TWO HERE AND THERE. THEN SHE IS BACK TO HANGING TO HERSELF. CALF BEGINS TO SHOW A LACK OF PROGRESS. COW WILL FOLLOW A BUCKET OF FEED BUT WILL NOT EAT. AFTER CONFINNING FOR TWO DAYS SHE EATS ALMOST NOTHING AND DRINKS VERY LITTLE , TENDS TO HER CALF, ALLOWING IT TO SUCK AND SHE LICKS IT A LITTLE. SHE APPEARS TO HAVE NO MILK. WE ARE STARTING THE CALF ON BOTTLE.COW APPEARS BLOATED, AND HAS BEGUN TO DROLL, BUT LOOKS ATTENTIVE WHEN APPROACHED. SHE CAN WALK OKAY, BUT DOES SEEM WEARY. HAS DIFFICULTY IN GETTING UP, BUT DOES SO ON HER OWN. I HAVE WONDERED IF IT IS A OUT OF PLACE STOMACH , FROM DELIVERY?

Typically DA's are seen in cattle on a high grain diet with too little roughage. I would temp her first off. Then start thinking in the lines of ketosis/milk fever, grass tetany, bad teeth. Just SWAGs on my part

dun
 

Texan

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 3, 2004
Messages
1,887
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
dun":3bzubf4y said:
Then start thinking in the lines of ketosis/milk fever........

And a bottle of Norcalciphos in her while you're thinking might not be a bad idea.
 

certherfbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
3,052
Reaction score
0
Location
OH
I grew up on a dairy farm, have yet to see a twisted stomach in a beef cow. The just aren'y pushed hard enough. Have you thought of Hardware???
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
certherfbeef":w3mgvpl0 said:
I grew up on a dairy farm, have yet to see a twisted stomach in a beef cow. The just aren'y pushed hard enough. Have you thought of Hardware???

That idea had just occurred to me also. Is she humped up, acts like it's painfull to walk?

dun
 
OP
A

Anonymous

COW SEEMS TO WALK OKAY, NO HUMP IN BACK, SHE APPEARS VERY TIRED AND MOVES SLOWLY, ARTHERITIS(SPELLING??)
 

dun

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 28, 2003
Messages
47,334
Reaction score
1
Location
MO Ozarks
ANNGUSS":qevw7wpc said:
COW SEEMS TO WALK OKAY, NO HUMP IN BACK, SHE APPEARS VERY TIRED AND MOVES SLOWLY, ARTHERITIS(SPELLING??)

The humped back is frequently a sign of hardware. I'll still be thinking the ketosis/milk fever angle. But if she has an infection in her uterus that can cause problems also. Butthe best bet is as someone else recommended. Get a vet to check her out!

dun
 
OP
A

Anonymous

THANKS FOR THE HELP, LOOKS LIKE WE WILL TAKE HER TO THE VET TOMORROW.

THANKS TO ALL [/img]
 

Beefy

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 2, 2004
Messages
8,754
Reaction score
0
Location
Georgia
Thats more along the lines of what i was thinking--infection. How did she clean up? Does she have any odor? any retained placenta? free choice minerals couldnt hurt anything.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

certherfbeef":28lqea4y said:
I grew up on a dairy farm, have yet to see a twisted stomach in a beef cow. The just aren'y pushed hard enough. Have you thought of Hardware???

Frankly, I'll agree it's uncommon but I've seen quite a few. Especially when they'll only eat roughage now and refuse grain. Hardware tends to cause a thump as they breathe from the pain. However, I only have 18+ years of experience as a large animal vet, doing both beef and dairy. I guess you have more.
 

certherfbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
3,052
Reaction score
0
Location
OH
However, I only have 18+ years of experience as a large animal vet, doing both beef and dairy. I guess you have more.

I have evidently stepped on a toe or two here. I have never or will never claim to be a vet.

I'm sorry
 

Latest posts

Top