old tree health

Help Support CattleToday:

tuck

Reaction score
My parents have a huge oak in their backyard, it has to be 150 years old, they had a man that said he was 93 years old and when he was a boy he would swing from that tree and remembered it to be a big tree then. Any way my point is the health of this tree is deteriorating, getting some rotten branchs. It also has those little balls growing on it, I have heard that is an oak disease, I will do some more looking to find out more. I wanted to see if you guys had any recommendations.

All good things do come to an end. I had the second largest black hickory in the state on my place. Had it verified by the forester. He said the tree was pushing 200, it died after Rita.

Depends on where the little balls are. Does the base appeared to be swelled larger then the rest of the tree. Depending on the type of oak, 150-200 years is about the maximum and most are closer to 100. We had on on the old farm that was huge, one spring it started to leaf out and then just quit. It hd finally just died. The squirrels and wood peckers are still enjoying it to this day but now there are only a couple fo realy large limbs left. Was really sad to see that old tree die.

dun

Unfrtunately even the giants will die - keep replanting!

If you are truly concerned call an arborist - DO NOT use your friends and neighbours for this - it is a specialty. One mistake and the whole thing has to come down.

Trimming and painting can extend the life of a tree - but not indefinitely.

Bez>

Have a friend, that had the tallest/oldest pine (in town) in his yard, when it started to die, he had it cut down and taken to the lumber mill and cut for car siding. Did his whole basement with it.

Michele

We had one of the biggest White Oaks anyone had ever seen, and it blew down in a bad storm... Forestry man estimated it to be 200 years old. I used to walk out in the Pasture and stand under that tree, and wonder what it could tell me if it could talk. Broke my heart to have to cut it up. Log brought 350.00.

Bez>":1p9ymm1c said:
Unfrtunately even the giants will die - keep replanting!

If you are truly concerned call an arborist - DO NOT use your friends and neighbours for this - it is a specialty. One mistake and the whole thing has to come down.

Trimming and painting can extend the life of a tree - but not indefinitely.

Bez>

No way possible I can reiterate how important this advise is. trees are a science in them self and a GOOD licensed arborist is the ONLY person I would allow to take care of this tree. That is if you really care to save it. Some people round here don't want to spend the nickels to have a large or old tree professionally preserved, but what they don't realize is that what it costs to save it is less than the value it takes away from your property value if you lose it!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/low/wales/2016912.stm

this is a story I read a few years back. there is also an Oak Tree in Nottingham Forest said to be the one used by Robin Hood, that's about 500 years, and there is one in Lousiana that is recorded to be 375 year, so yours is still a baby, to these ones. but sorry can't help on the original question of how to preserve it.

With your first desire being to save the tree get an expert, maybe a couple as opinions will vary.

When I was falling timber I cut a number of Douglas Firs, Western Red Cedars, and Sitka Spruce that were all over 1,000 years old. Those old trees survived a lot until they met me.

The high school in town burned in '02 and in front of the school stood a Southern Red Oak estimated by a forester to be 250-300 years old. This tree is so large that the side walk that was poured in front of the school when it was built in 1937 had to be re-routed around the tree because it has continued to grow. Anyway, the tree was scorched pretty bad by the fire since it was only 20-30 feet from the building, but the old giant is still living and seems to none worse for the wear. We all worried that the fire had killed it but it produces acorns every year and right now it's leafing out for the fifth time since the fire.

Latest posts