old propane tanks

Help Support CattleToday:

Be very careful cutting the tank's as home propane contains ethane methane and hydrogen as well.
Hydrogen can leach into the metal of the tank causing an explosion when you start cutting.
Be careful in what you clean the tank with as well as propane can have violent reaction with chlorine and acids.

I never figured it was worth the risk. I knew a guy that lost his upper half, or maybe it was his lower. Depended on whether you are an optimist or pessimist I guess. Listen to CB

highgrit":2m6ploo5 said:
A.C. How do you cut them apart for culverts??
Thats just what I was going to ask. I could use them for that and use the ends for campfire pits. I may see what a pro welder would charge to cut the end caps off. Once cut, are there any issues welding on them? Say like braces for the inside when using for a culvert.

We get most of them with the ends cut if we know we are making culverts out of them. We get some that we know will be tanks and have them leave them whole.
We also get some that will be used for anything and they are left whole till we need them. They make great air tanks too.
Anyway we cut quite a few of them a year.

I have one I made a diesel tank out of and it worked well. CB is right on about welding on used propane tanks as it can be extremely dangerous if you are not able to test for residual gasses or have a way to purge them. I have welded on several used propane tanks but always purged them with nitrogen or argon gas first. I have been told you can hook a hose to a vehicles exhaust and use carbon monoxide to purge one but then you have to worry about breathing that. The main thing is you have to get rid of the oxygen in the tank before you fire up on it if it contains gas.

jedstivers":1hb34btl said:
We get most of them with the ends cut if we know we are making culverts out of them. We get some that we know will be tanks and have them leave them whole.
We also get some that will be used for anything and they are left whole till we need them. They make great air tanks too.
Wasn't it you that made the toothed muncher attachment for your fel out of a propane tank? That thing looked awesome--and fearsome.

I have 3 of the old 20 gallon tanks, one 40 gallon, and a couple of 15's. They are all purged out and now used as air tanks. I fill the 40 gallon and leave it at the farm. 175 pounds of air in it and when the valve is closed, it does not leak. I carry a 15 in the truck most of the time.

I have seen one of the bigger ones used as a forge. A guy welded a pipe to it, fills that with coals, and forces air through the pipe into the tank chamber. It works well. Probably the best home made forge I have ever seen.

greybeard":muy357yk said:
jedstivers":muy357yk said:
Wasn't it you that made the toothed muncher attachment for your fel out of a propane tank? That thing looked awesome--and fearsome.
2E156A3E-B76F-48D2-8A36-2307A2FFB54A-3423-000002E38E6DDD85.jpg

I could use that on the front of my car for my daily commute!

Latest posts