Old McDonald Had a Farm...and He Got Arrested?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Interesting goings-on in the direct farm to consumer arena. First mainstream source I have seen mentioning the corporate protection function of supposedly consumer protection agencies.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071203/gumpert

Wonder why he didn't want to test, though. Seems like test results would be good marketing tool, unless they stick you for high dollar costs for the tests?

Could just be the principle of the thing. Big brother has got some big sharp teeth that most folks don't know about. Occassionally I think its good for the public to see what teeth they do have because many of us are ignorant to this until it affects us. I'm wary of government regulations that are supposed to help us. Each regulation limits our liberty and freedom to some degree. Of course, that's just my opinion based on my Jeffersonian beliefs.

I am continuously amazed by the new "lows" that our federal and state governments can sink to. The bureaucracy is sickening. The next thing you know you will have to contact a USDA inspector so he can stand over your shoulder and watch you skin a deer! WE as Americans need to wake up, and stand up and take our country back from the lawyers, and no I'm not crazy. Think about it, our country is run by lawyers! Judges (once lawyers), politicians (many of them lawyers), lawmakers (duh). They want the red tape, they like to complicate matters, they want to take away your rights! It's a matter of self preservation for them. They are choking the life out of this country. No, I don't hate lawyers, and no I don't hoard food and ammunition, just trying to point out the obvious.

Whew! Do I feel better!

Just more government idiots, that know nothing about what they are doing, trying to justify their existence in the public eye at someone else's expense.
When you give someone power they will find a way to use it.

TREY-L":3lpgxbc7 said:
.... The next thing you know you will have to contact a USDA inspector so he can stand over your shoulder and watch you skin a deer!....

As long as he's standing next to it while I'm shooting it that's fine by me....

grannysoo":ggdc987w said:
"I'm from the government and I'm here to help you.........."

One of the biggest lies ever known to mankind.

The other one is the respnse "And we're glad you're here"!

Seems to me the food inspectors need to wake up and do a better job inspecting some of these huge food processing facilities. Recalls and such are getting to be all to common place. Why mess with a little guy that hasn't had any problems or complaints. Sounds similar to the territorialistic nature of a hen buzzard around her nest.

Jogeephus":hnb4z7bv said:
Seems to me the food inspectors need to wake up and do a better job inspecting some of these huge food processing facilities. Recalls and such are getting to be all to common place. Why mess with a little guy that hasn't had any problems or complaints. Sounds similar to the territorialistic nature of a hen buzzard around her nest.

Inspection issue...yes.

But,

It's also a COOKING issue. Some people have never caught on that GROUND BEEF MUST BE COOKED WELL DONE! Regardless of who killed and processed the animal. Well done = Killed E. Coli. :roll:

Hippie Rancher":3hc0f9tm said:
Interesting goings-on in the direct farm to consumer arena. First mainstream source I have seen mentioning the corporate protection function of supposedly consumer protection agencies.

http://www.thenation.com/doc/20071203/gumpert

Wonder why he didn't want to test, though. Seems like test results would be good marketing tool, unless they stick you for high dollar costs for the tests?

You betcha there are costs to all the testing, farm call + per animal test charge + farm call to come read test. Michigan has TB free zones but the Northern counties with the large deer herds are still designated. Problem is the zone thing means nothing to other states, require testing no matter where you are coming from to go into their state. We have mandatory RFID which is also an additional expense. We need to get serious about reducing our deer population and need to stop feeding/baiting.

I don't understand the folks who defy the state milk inspection laws. Speaking only for myself, I don't want to buy milk which is uninspected and unpasteurized.
I have had raw milk, and liked the taste. But, even when we had a "family cow" in my youth we pasteurized the milk.
What proof is there that "raw" milk is healthier? I really don't know.
The inspection laws grew out of the furor over Upton Sinclairs'
book "The Jungle", an indictment of the meat packing biz a century ago.
If small farmers can escape inspections then larger operations will argue that they too should be immune to inspection. Then, we are right back in the jungle.
I really don't sympathize with this guy. I would not buy his product.

Latest posts