Old John Deere Corn Picker

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
[youtube]CsMmsvkGqFE[/youtube]

My brother had this trucked down from Minnesota late last year. First time out.

My grandfather had an old single row new idea corn picker. It would probably still work but it needs new tires and some bearings put in it.

Only thing about those is you need to start in the center of the field and work your way out as you can't make very good right hand turns.

Very nice looking picker. I have a 323 one row new idea been working in it for the last couple days getting it ready to start picking with next week. I finally found a man that sells parts for them so I have been repairing some things on it that has been needing fixed for a while.
How do you all store your ear corn? Do u grind it or just feed the whole ear?
I liked the video I love watching equipment work. When I start picking next week I will try and get some pics and maybe a video of my rig.

Those #300 John Deeres are a corn picking machine. Either 2 row or 3 row head. That 3 row head will fill a bin wagon quick in good corn. They don't shell it as bad as other pickers.
Ground ear corn is the best feed for beef cattle.

Nice looking picker. Looks to have been well cared for considering the age.
My grandfather had a one row JD 100 corn picker. We picked 40 acres with it every fall. Stored the corn and ground the corn for cow feed all winter.
His big tractor was a JD 60. I pulled the wagons back and forth with a Deere M. Did this until 1977 when he died.

I pulled 35 acres with a 2 row New Idea this year. If I pull it as fast as you brother does it would clog up every time. We made 70-80 bu. to the acre, which is really good for us.

He got 625 bushel off 5 acres.

He piled it in his metal shop. Next year he wants to convert his wooden barn to a corn crib with wire stalls so air can move around. Plus he needs an elevator and a feed grinder with auger.

He said he picked about $3,000 worth of corn so that paid for picker and if he does not have to go to feed store it will be worth it.

M5farm":3kj9s9xy said:
did he dust it ? weevils will eat it up here if you don't treat it.

I store my corn in a crib. I haven't so far have any problems with weevils. What would u dust it with?

I used to have a corn picker. I really enjoyed using it, and somehow it seemed to get me in the mood for fall. I lost it in a storm, and never replaced it. I had already came to the conclusion I could buy corn cheaper than I could raise it. When corn went to $7 I rethought that, but didn't buy one.

highgrit":1ae394eq said:
I pulled 35 acres with a 2 row New Idea this year. If I pull it as fast as you brother does it would clog up every time. We made 70-80 bu. to the acre, which is really good for us.
I remember my grandfather got 60 bushels per acre and was happy. Now days I read where they get 160+ bushels per acre shelled. Mind blowing to me.
Picking ear corn, grinding feed and feeding cows was a lot of work. Kept me out of the trouble my school friends eventually got into.
I was in high school before I saw my first corn combine. I remember seeing it throw the cobs on the ground and thinking they were wasting some good feed. The guy was a hog farmer and did not need the cob.

HDRider":2iaei5dy said:
lavacarancher":2iaei5dy said:
I still have one of those. Mine might be a little older and is a single row picker.
Do you use it?

Last time I planted corn was about 5 years ago and yes, I used it. I used a Ford 3000 to pull it with. Kind of an odd attachment because if I remember correctly the right rear wheel of the tractor had to be turned to the narrow position to allow the "pick up" to straddle the row being picked properly. You would lose the first few rows of corn because the rear wheel of the tractor would run over it and push it down then the trailer would push a couple more rows down. No big deal though because it sure beat the heck out of snapping the ears off by hand.

I start 16 rows in. And run 2 rows of corn down while picking 2 rows. Then I come back and pick the corn I ran down from the other direction. I lower the head so it's just touching the dirt when I am coming back to pick the row.

I wonder if this would have been the better buy. It appears it could be purchased for less than $10,000

100_1190.jpg

https://www.proxibid.com/asp/LotDetail. ... ey-Combine

Look to be popular on Tractorhouse
http://www.tractorhouse.com/list/list.a ... mdlx=exact

Depends on what your doing with the corn. I grind mine for feed and use the cob as a filler. When we grind combined corn we mix hay in with the minerals and protein supplement. It's way faster to grind ear corn in our old feed mill.

highgrit":3seyxlwn said:
Depends on what your doing with the corn. I grind mine for feed and use the cob as a filler. When we grind combined corn we mix hay in with the minerals and protein supplement. It's way faster to grind ear corn in our old feed mill.
Good point. I did not think of that when I posted the Massey.

That is what we want too.

Can you list the equipment and facilities you have to manage that?

What is your scale? How many bushels per year do you process?

Latest posts