old cow down in stall

Help Support CattleToday:

ronniec

Reaction score
I have an old cow that I was going to try to put some wieght on to take to the sale before she croaked. She's down in a stall right now and appears not to be able to get up. Any thing I can give her for enough of a boost to get her up at least to get her outside. Don't think she'd make it to the processor or be very good but would it be worth butchering her and grinding up a lot of hamburger?

That's about what I thought. I hope she'll come through the door without taking the front down..........day late and dollar short.

This sounds stupid but I have got a few up by it. Inject some white syrup SQ, not much to lose.

Cabo":1ss039h8 said:
3waycross":1ss039h8 said:
Cabo":1ss039h8 said:
This sounds stupid but I have got a few up by it. Inject some white syrup SQ, not much to lose.

You mean like Karo?

Yes or just lots of sugar in water.

Had one that did so well that we called her Karo. Fattened her up and away she goes.

Cabo, how much are we talking injecting and just in the neck? I'll give it a try, cheaper than a bullet.

ronniec":21inq48y said:
Cabo, how much are we talking injecting and just in the neck? I'll give it a try, cheaper than a bullet.

Needle and some syrup?

Your 22's must be cast out of gold.

Scroote":3ulx2zw6 said:
ronniec":3ulx2zw6 said:

Needle and some syrup?

Your 22's must be cast out of gold.
Throw in the cost of fuel to go to the store and get it and the bullet is a lot cheaper.

Ya know, I aint trying to go all PETA on you, but some poor old cow goes down in your barn, shoot the dang thing and put it out of its misery! The fact that you took the time to come inside and post this then wait for responses and try the dumbest one doesn't show very well for you. In the mean time the cow is drooling all over the floor in some kind of yoga position sucks really bad. This site is for exchanging ideas, not for posting and awaiting advice in emergency or semi-emergency situations.

Here's your sign!

I have to agree with Scroote. If she is laying there and can't get up, put her out of her misery. The possible money, to me, is not worth making her suffer.

Thanks for the advice, simply trying to get her out and not rebuild the barn, don't mind doing the right thing. I feel kinda like I did walking into the Apple computer store the other day...............not. Thanks to those replying to help.

Scroote":23suzmcy said:
Ya know, I aint trying to go all PETA on you, but some poor old cow goes down in your barn, shoot the dang thing and put it out of its misery! The fact that you took the time to come inside and post this then wait for responses and try the dumbest one doesn't show very well for you. In the mean time the cow is drooling all over the floor in some kind of yoga position sucks really bad. This site is for exchanging ideas, not for posting and awaiting advice in emergency or semi-emergency situations.

Here's your sign!

this made me laugh pretty good for a bit but really in all fairness to the OP he isnt the only one that ever tried to get a cow up when she went down. I have helped alot of guys try and get cows back up some do some dont thats the way it is. I have even helped the FIL take and lift a cow every day for over a month. i would say in my opinion end her cause its hard to put weight on a cow like that anyway specially if she is old. but without knowing the actual physical condition she is in since i have not seen her first hand i wouldnt be able to say withh 100% if i was in the OP shoes.

Lon":1fxej829 said:
in all fairness to the OP he isnt the only one that ever tried to get a cow up when she went down.

....and there's pages and pages of posts of us making suggestions to folks how to do it.

There's nothing wrong with posting here in emergency and semi emergency situations.

angus9259":23yc4v7p said:
There's nothing wrong with posting here in emergency and semi emergency situations.

Yep.. its what this forum is all about.. opinions, discussions, help, and advice.. no matter what situation someone is in.

Limomike":pvylvlji said:
angus9259":pvylvlji said:

Yep.. its what this forum is all about.. opinions, discussions, help, and advice.. no matter what situation someone is in.

Are you two for real? Those situations require two things, be a man and do what is right or what you know and/or two, call a freakin vet!

Remind me or anyone else not to break something or fall ill around you both, wouldn't want to suffer for hours while you guys screw around on WebMD.

Here's some more advice, next time you have a downer cow shoot her up in the neck with some Mrs. Buttersworth, shove your thumb up her arse, and then tug real hard with a solid fishhook in the corner of her mouth. After a few minutes of this hopefully you will realize how cruel and cheap you are and call a vet!

Lon":24chm29q said:
Scroote":24chm29q said:

Here's your sign!

this made me laugh pretty good for a bit but really in all fairness to the OP he isnt the only one that ever tried to get a cow up when she went down. I have helped alot of guys try and get cows back up some do some dont thats the way it is. I have even helped the FIL take and lift a cow every day for over a month. i would say in my opinion end her cause its hard to put weight on a cow like that anyway specially if she is old. but without knowing the actual physical condition she is in since i have not seen her first hand i wouldnt be able to say withh 100% if i was in the OP shoes.

Glad I made you laugh

Latest posts