old cow down in stall

Help Support CattleToday:

Scroote":3q7o6acx said:
Ya know, I aint trying to go all PETA on you, but some poor old cow goes down in your barn, shoot the dang thing and put it out of its misery! The fact that you took the time to come inside and post this then wait for responses and try the dumbest one doesn't show very well for you. In the mean time the cow is drooling all over the floor in some kind of yoga position sucks really bad. This site is for exchanging ideas, not for posting and awaiting advice in emergency or semi-emergency situations.

Here's your sign!

For as many signs as you hand out and the enjoyment you take in handing them out, you must have amassed quite a collection of them ..... too bad ....... hard to go through life so angry.

angus9259":3w4pvcx0 said:
Scroote":3w4pvcx0 said:
Ya know, I aint trying to go all PETA on you, but some poor old cow goes down in your barn, shoot the dang thing and put it out of its misery! The fact that you took the time to come inside and post this then wait for responses and try the dumbest one doesn't show very well for you. In the mean time the cow is drooling all over the floor in some kind of yoga position sucks really bad. This site is for exchanging ideas, not for posting and awaiting advice in emergency or semi-emergency situations.

Here's your sign!

For as many signs as you hand out and the enjoyment you take in handing them out, you must have amassed quite a collection of them ..... too bad ....... hard to go through life so angry.

Come on now buddy, I aint all angry and stuff. You are the one that lives in communist Michigan, I have nothing but compassion for folks like you. Just admit you were wrong and we are good.

This situation should be discussed after the emergency is taken care of so good folks here (and the up-tight stick in their hinder kind) can learn from it. Then when it happens on your place it can be dealt with maturely. Not hiding in the house awaiting 40 amatuer responses of doping cows up with pop rocks and such.

In case you are one of the politically correct dense headed ones, I try to deliver some truth through sarcasm! Your kind takes all the fun out of it.

Cheers mate!

I reposted but it didn't show for some reason. All is well I managed to get her out without tearing down the stall, which was the intent of this post originally, didn't expect her to "get well". Good thing is had a new calf born yesterday so the world continues to spin. This is a good board with folks ready to help with learned past experience. Large animal vets are becoming very rare. You can usually find someone to work horses but if you depend on a vet around here for cows your out of luck not to mention $$$$$. Oh, by the way I always enjoyed my visits to Michigan! Thanks yall, lets move on.

The truth is, you don't know the best approach because you've been so busy handing out signs you haven't really assessed the position of the fella asking for advice on his cow.

It's entirely possible that a cow down in a barn is not suffering at all but have a rather enjoyable day of it so the fella has a reasonable amount of time to think through things and try a few approaches before resorting to the fire arms. Thus, perhaps, there's no emergency at all.

I'm NOT saying I would give her a shot of syrup - perhaps banamine - but with the banamine I might also tube her with some coffee or something to give her some pep - some "will to move" one last time out of the barn. I might even put the tractor on her BEFORE the bullet to see if that could help the entire situation for ME as well as the animal. But, because we haven't asked enough questions, we don't even know if that's an option either.

Now, if she's been in there a week and truly is splayed out yoga style and drooling - then it likely is what it is. But, we must take a moment from sign distribution to assess the reality of the matter. Perhaps she's sitting comfortably on some straw in the barn chewing her cud while the rest of the animals are out in freezing rain wishing they were in there with her.

You could be right. You might not be. We don't know. If she is in the condition you've pre-supposed, you have my ascent to your rightness but not in the way you've chosen to distribute it.

:tiphat:

ronniec":2vwfpgvv said:
I reposted but it didn't show for some reason. All is well I managed to get her out without tearing down the stall, which was the intent of this post originally, didn't expect her to "get well". Good thing is had a new calf born yesterday so the world continues to spin. This is a good board with folks ready to help with learned past experience. Large animal vets are becoming very rare. You can usually find someone to work horses but if you depend on a vet around here for cows your out of luck not to mention $$$$$. Oh, by the way I always enjoyed my visits to Michigan! Thanks yall, lets move on.

Well done - sorry I missed this before my last post. Agreed. Moving on.

Scroote":35fi5abd said:
Limomike":35fi5abd said:
angus9259":35fi5abd said:
There's nothing wrong with posting here in emergency and semi emergency situations.

Yep.. its what this forum is all about.. opinions, discussions, help, and advice.. no matter what situation someone is in.

Are you two for real? Those situations require two things, be a man and do what is right or what you know and/or two, call a freakin vet!

Remind me or anyone else not to break something or fall ill around you both, wouldn't want to suffer for hours while you guys screw around on WebMD.

Here's some more advice, next time you have a downer cow shoot her up in the neck with some Mrs. Buttersworth, shove your thumb up her arse, and then tug real hard with a solid fishhook in the corner of her mouth. After a few minutes of this hopefully you will realize how cruel and cheap you are and call a vet!

Scoote.. Yes, I am real. I was only stating a fact about this forum. Did not require your negative comments about me or what I am like. Glad you DONT live around me for sure.
And yes.. I would have given that cow a 22 shot right between the eyes and dragged her off.
Yep. moving on for sure.

Scroote":3ji54pd6 said:
Remind me or anyone else not to break something or fall ill around you both, wouldn't want to suffer for hours while you guys screw around on WebMD.

Honestly I would be more worried about getting hurt or falling ill around you since I would only have a few minutes to recover or I would get a bullet in the head. ;-)

Just because a cow is down doesn't neccessarily mean that she is suffering. Maybe, maybe not. Since we are not there it is a little hard to know.

The syrup injection might have some merrit actually. When we had sheep there were times when a lamb was too weak to get up and we would sometimes inject dextrose right into their belly and in a few minutes they were on their feet.

ChrisB":2w2jiolu said:
The syrup injection might have some merrit actually. When we had sheep there were times when a lamb was too weak to get up and we would sometimes inject dextrose right into their belly and in a few minutes they were on their feet.

We tube gatorade/coffee or some such to help keep cold "dummy calves" moving also.

And, from what I recall from my ER watching days ;-) - they were always putting humans on "glucose drips" and/or "saline drips" depending on the need of the patient.

ChrisB":335wgw29 said:
Scroote":335wgw29 said:

Honestly I would be more worried about getting hurt or falling ill around you since I would only have a few minutes to recover or I would get a bullet in the head. ;-)

Just because a cow is down doesn't neccessarily mean that she is suffering. Maybe, maybe not.
Since we are not there it is a little hard to know.

:lol: :lol: I'm have an image of going to scroote's, having a couple of cold ones on a hot day, resting under a tree only to wake staring up at the barrel of his rifle.

The Karo syrup and water mixture works, a vet showed it to us a few years ago. Mix it 50/50 with warm water, body temp, and give sub Q. All it is, is a form of glucose, a quick energy boost for a dehydrated animal. It is not a medication, just fluids and energy. Not to be confused with pop rocks or Mrs. Buttersworth, just use the clear Karo not the dark.

Glad things worked out with your downer cow.

Alan

Glad we all could have a laugh!

BTW Alan, if you wake up to a bottle of Mrs. Buttersworth and me giving you a thumbs up, then you better get worried. I would have some cold ones with ya any day.

I'm have an image of going to scroote's, having a couple of cold ones on a hot day, resting under a tree only to wake staring up at the barrel of his rifle.

That one got me tickled!! Only worse thing would be not waking up..... :clap:

Something worth keeping around is 50% dextrose solution you can get from any vet or animal health store. I think the bottles are 500 ml and are cheap only $3-$4 and last quite a while in the cupboard. Given iv it really gives them an energy boost to get up and start eating. I used to use it all the time on my dairy cows after calving.

ohiosteve":38hlukvc said:
Something worth keeping around is 50% dextrose solution you can get from any vet or animal health store. I think the bottles are 500 ml and are cheap only $3-$4 and last quite a while in the cupboard. Given iv it really gives them an energy boost to get up and start eating. I used to use it all the time on my dairy cows after calving.

It is a good idea to have some of that on hand but if you don't then I do the best that I can with what I've got. I bet those cows that I got up with the sugarwater and Karo sure are glad that they didn't belong to scrotum.

Cabo":e7bx7sd4 said:
ohiosteve":e7bx7sd4 said:

It is a good idea to have some of that on hand but if you don't then I do the best that I can with what I've got. I bet those cows that I got up with the sugarwater and Karo sure are glad that they didn't belong to scrotum.

Cabo you or Dun might remeber there was some stuff we could pop them with in the seventies, the cow was going to get up or die. For the life of me I can't remember the name.

TennesseeTuxedo":2xanryr1 said:
My mistake fitz, the OP mentioned a new calf was born and I mistakenly put the two events together.

Thanks for catching that.

It's all good. I just hate ronniec lost the cow. Hope the new calf is healthy. To me it doesn't matter if it's an old cow or a new born, losing them never gets much easier.

fitz

Caustic Burno":esbz7c7n said:
Cabo":esbz7c7n said:
ohiosteve":esbz7c7n said:

Cabo you or Dun might remeber there was some stuff we could pop them with in the seventies, the cow was going to get up or die. For the life of me I can't remember the name.

I remember hearing about it but I was rerailing freight cars and locomotives then and didn't have cows. Wish I could help.

Caustic Burno":21h9umn2 said:

Sounds like what my wife uses on me . . . . either way she wins.

Latest posts