Old Bulls

Help Support CattleToday:

Mosho

Reaction score
I know there are many factors to be considered in determining when to get rid of a herd bull but I am interested in the age factor. How old is old for a bull? :?:

For me it would be when he fails to settle the same # of cows as is normal for him. It is hard to put a year # on it but if I had to I would say around 10yr give or take a couple.

Mosho":3m7ffo56 said:
I know there are many factors to be considered in determining when to get rid of a herd bull but I am interested in the age factor. How old is old for a bull? :?:

Lot of questions here you left out a ton of info, how many ladies does he service are you a hobby less than 10, partimer less than 100 or full timer. What are the range conditions how far does he have to travel, what are the weather conditions are you in a bad drought. There are numerous other factors effecting the Bull and cows reproduction BCS, a host of diseases.

As CB says there are too many unknowns here.

But an 8 year old bull is usually doing short time even if his health is good.

We have a 9 y.o bull that has done well for us but he lost a lot of weight in the winter. He was on bahia hay, minerals and range cubes. He still is thinner than he should be. He has 20-25 cows to service and he doesn't travel that far. Our weather is very hot and we are in a drought. I wonder if we should get another herd bull now.

jemo":32jqzn6o said:
Thanks for the replies. My bull is 9 y.o. and services about 25 cows. He is registered Black Angus. These cows are on an 80 acre pasture. We are in a drought situation. He came through the winter with less muscle than I wanted and he has not put on as much this spring as I thought he should. As far as being a hobby, part-timer or full-timer- we would be considered part timers because we do other work. As far as the amount of time and labor we put into our farm we could qualify for full-timers. :)

9 years old is getting a little long in the tooth IMO, but don't nessacarily blame the bull if cows are missing in a drought.
Drought can cause cows to breed back late or not take at all especially if they have a leach hanging on them. One drought management stategy is to wean early A&M has quite a bit about this on there web site..
Are the cows missing?
Are calving cycles getting longer?
Or are you just Curious about bulls?
I wouldn't throw away a bull if my calving % is staying the same, his body codition is still good, cause you are going to get hamburger prices for him and have to dig in your pocket for replacement money.
Fogot to ask what calving strategy do you use year around which is less pressure on an old bull versus a season spring or fall and he is seviceing 25 ladies over 60 days or 365 days?

Just to throw in another equation, what about the size of an older bull? One of ours is now six and is too big for his own good. Turned his ankle last year along about the last of the breeding period, luckily he was one of two in the herd. This year, he's been in about 30+ days and is limping on the same ankle. We are culling him soon. He's a Saler by the way but we have a registered Angus that is getting very large also and I can see a couple more years for him.

Si

I got a bull around 7 years old and he keeps up just fine with the younguns...and he dont seem to be slacking any over the years

If you are in a drought and the cattle have the pasture grazed close he may be broken mouthed. Could add the the demise of an otherwise sound bull.

My bull just hit 12 yrs still keeps the lady's happy. I know it's
getting close to cull him though. I have 32 cows to keep him
out of trouble.

Your taking a chance if you keep a bull more then five years.
One thing if you have the right genetics and feed, a bull will go over a ton at 3 yrs of age, to big for heifers and smaller cows. With all that weight better chance of going lame, then they don't breed and go down hill fast, then you will get only cull price when you sell. Bulls in their second and third breeding season cover the most ground and cows. Its a stretch to get 4 breeding years out of a bull.

mnmt

I may be beating a dead horse by continuing this thread but I posted a picture of our bull which was made yesterday. Believe me, he has not gone hungry!! Calves were born in Dec. and January. Weaing wts. are not at all good this year. There is a picture of one of our cows which is typical of our herd. We still have more grass than most but we are very dry.

mnmtranching":2y4s6mie said:
Your taking a chance if you keep a bull more then five years.
One thing if you have the right genetics and feed, a bull will go over a ton at 3 yrs of age, to big for heifers and smaller cows. With all that weight better chance of going lame, then they don't breed and go down hill fast, then you will get only cull price when you sell. Bulls in their second and third breeding season cover the most ground and cows. Its a stretch to get 4 breeding years out of a bull.

mnmt

a stretch to get 4 breeding years out of a bull?...I've had plenty of bulls that have had 6 or 7 great breeding years...and they aint on 1 or 2 cows...they are usually covering about 35-40 cows at least

Mosho":23c39evw said:
I may be beating a dead horse by continuing this thread but I posted a picture of our bull which was made yesterday. Believe me, he has not gone hungry!! Calves were born in Dec. and January. Weaing wts. are not at all good this year. There is a picture of one of our cows which is typical of our herd. We still have more grass than most but we are very dry.

Maybe It's just me but he cow you posted look's to be a BCS of about 4.5. I can't tell about the others but she is for sure not overfed. Looks to be pulled down a little hard for this time of year. Looking closer at the bull he might have to be treated for holler tail.

Wow! from the look of your black bull and brown cow you have had one heck of a hard winter. I hope you get the rain you need soon.

Caustic and S.R.R, Thanks for the replies. Now this is why I am concerned. All through the winter they had free choice hay, loose minerals, and 50# range cubes a day for 22 lactating cows and the bull and a sweetlix tub most of the winter. Our winter was not bad at all. They did not have any winter grazing. They had a BCS of maybe 3 at the end of winter. The cows have picked up a lot since selling the calves a couple of weeks ago. We feed more than any other cattleman around us. Is it us or is it the cows? :help: We worm and vaccinate on schedule too.

Mosho":3jhz3vjk said:

Mosho,unless you are a pure bred breeder and have high dollar bulls,it makes little sense to keep them longer than it takes to breed your cows,I know there are folks that run bulls with their cattle year round,they also calve year round,its hard to add value to your calf crop when they are not uniform,besides workin your tail off.
I will winter a bull if I Have plenty of home grown feed on hand and I like the bull,but not often.
I buy bulls from a repuatable breeder,get my cows bred in 90 day period,then take the bulls to sale,the price you recieve,subtracted from the price you paid,roughly equals the cost of breeding your cows.
Depending on weather,I like to early wean my calves and background them on home grown feed,till they are 7 or 8 weight,just makes it all come together much easier when you are banding tagging pouring etc. a uniform calf crop.You just got to find a way that works best for you,the one I described does for me,I know there are alot of fine cattle men that run bulls year round,buy the best bull they can afford & leave him on the cows till he gets old,like you said,many factors determine how long to keep bulls,decideing how "you" want to manage "your" herd is the first step ;-) ..................good luck

Most I buy as yearlings and use for 3 seasons if they have no faults- maybe an exceptional one will stay 4...After that you take more of a risk with vibrio-lepto and the std's- and I want to keep putting in new genetics.....

Oldtimer":1kglh3if said:
Most I buy as yearlings and use for 3 seasons if they have no faults- maybe an exceptional one will stay 4...After that you take more of a risk with vibrio-lepto and the std's- and I want to keep putting in new genetics.....

Hey OT - the way some on this thread are talking - you and I better be wary of being put out to pasture.

Bez?

Mosho":14mfixm6 said:
Caustic and S.R.R, Thanks for the replies. Now this is why I am concerned. All through the winter they had free choice hay, loose minerals, and 50# range cubes a day for 22 lactating cows and the bull and a sweetlix tub most of the winter. Our winter was not bad at all. They did not have any winter grazing. They had a BCS of maybe 3 at the end of winter. The cows have picked up a lot since selling the calves a couple of weeks ago. We feed more than any other cattleman around us. Is it us or is it the cows? :help: We worm and vaccinate on schedule too.

What kind of hay and wormer?

Latest posts