Okra+maters+cukes+corn+peppers=

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
It all adds up to a lot of canning soon. I may have planted too much. 6 pickle cuke plants, 8 plants of different varieties of maters, 20 okra plants, 10 different pepper plants, and 8 30' rows of sweet corn (put down at 3 different times)

We've never canned before but we have my grandmothers old ball book and a newer guide. Seems there isn't much to it. Jo, were fixing to put your recipes to use. Thanks for putting them up

Good luck with it. You are right, there is nothing to it other than its a feast and famine type thing. When it comes in you will be busy but it pays off for a long time.

Dang Hook I thought you were making gumbo! Toss all of that in a pot with boudin, apple slices, and brown sugar and I just may be there for dinner.

Hook":2yk5df0s said:
It all adds up to a lot of canning soon. I may have planted too much. 6 pickle cuke plants, 8 plants of different varieties of maters, 20 okra plants, 10 different pepper plants, and 8 30' rows of sweet corn (put down at 3 different times)

We've never canned before but we have my grandmothers old ball book and a newer guide. Seems there isn't much to it. Jo, were fixing to put your recipes to use. Thanks for putting them up

My entire childhood was spent in the garden and putting up vegetables. I have never had a garden.

Mom and Dad bought coffee, TP, sugar, flour, spices, medicine and the occasional luxury items from the store. Eggs, milk, ice cream, butter, pork, beef, vegetables, and chicken all came from home grown. It seems we always sat around shelling peas in the heat of the day.

THe boss lady and I make a lot of jelly. That's about it. Boysenberry is my favorite. I picked 4 gallons of wild mustang grapes a few weeks back and she converted it all to jelly.

If rain here was consistent, I might consider a small garden. Just got too much of it in my childhood.

Latest posts