Growing Corn

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":2r6dij6e said:
Arkansas":2r6dij6e said:
I had seen online that hard boiled eggs and goats milk or cows milk and then some corn can be more then enough to fatten a pig up on the cheap.. But I want to feed the pigs off of what I can grow or get from my own place.. Really don't want to dive into feed bags unless its a have too.. I would like to have 4 pigs really, but if I can't feed 2 without a feed bag I don't see how I can feed anymore without a feed bag?
I understand but you're gonna have a world of fat.

Wife and I, and her sister and BIL bought 2 each hogs from the same litter. They fed garden and table scraps only. We fed garden scraps also, and extra milk and eggs. But we also fed commercial bag feed, and the last 3 weeks on commercial finisher.
Our pork was excellent. Sis and BIL couldn't give theirs away. Like TB said, it was all fat, and not even tasty fat. Just nasty blubber.
I suppose there are ways to feed them out at less cost than store bought, but you've got to have access to some good foodstuff close by, for free

Kscattle":1n5t7qrv said:
TexasBred":1n5t7qrv said:
12251HD":1n5t7qrv said:
I plant corn each year to grind for creep feeding calves and to feed cows in winter. Including my labor, I couldn't buy same quality of feed cheaper, and most importantly, the satisfaction of seeing a full crib of my own corn is priceless.

Good hybrid seed corn use to cost about $125.00 a bag. Any idea what today's cost is??
Anywhere from $250-$315 a bag. One bag will plant approx 4 acres.
We only get 2.5 acres or less out of a bag on irrigated corn. Planting 32-34,000 seed per acre.

With that much seed you must be close to 250-300bu. per acre? Your making somekind of corn out there Jed.

jedstivers":2pkhyamk said:
Good hybrid seed corn use to cost about $125.00 a bag. Any idea what today's cost is??
Anywhere from $250-$315 a bag. One bag will plant approx 4 acres.[/quote]
We only get 2.5 acres or less out of a bag on irrigated corn. Planting 32-34,000 seed per acre.[/quote]

I reckon making ol' AC count those seeds keeps him out of trouble and not tearing up equipment. :mrgreen:

TexasBred":137ajyi1 said:
Arkansas":137ajyi1 said:
I had seen online that hard boiled eggs and goats milk or cows milk and then some corn can be more then enough to fatten a pig up on the cheap.. But I want to feed the pigs off of what I can grow or get from my own place.. Really don't want to dive into feed bags unless its a have too.. I would like to have 4 pigs really, but if I can't feed 2 without a feed bag I don't see how I can feed anymore without a feed bag?
I understand but you're gonna have a world of fat.

So then there is no cheap way to feed hogs without paying out the butt ? Ouachita said he done the same as I was saying but added some commercial feed is that gonna be the cheapest way to go then ?

How much is the commercial feed cost to produce a good butcher weight hog? Are there any feed-mills nearby that grind and mix bulk hog-feed? If you want quality it will cost you some cash. If you just want to pay the least just buy the sale pork at the cheapest place you can find! Run some cost figures before you get the pigs so you will have some idea what the most expensive option is. Then start adding some of your cheaper stuff to the mix and bring down the feed cost as you can within reason. Do not think you can buy a couple of pigs and feed them on grass hay, stale bread, and dirty water and make any money. When you are asking why your 6month old 80 pound pig is not butcher size like his litter mates it is not going to be a good answer.

Feeding a commercial feed will give you more meat and a better product in the end . Protein is needed to produce muscle. Feeding a high fat unbalanced diet will not supply the protein, vitamins and minerals will give you a fatter hog and more waste.

Also you do not have to feed as much commercial feed as just corn, milk and eggs. If you get a lot of eggs, you ought to think about selling them.

I picked up two pigs on Friday. A Hampshire and a Yorkshire. : )

mwj":1jl0l06d said:
How much is the commercial feed cost to produce a good butcher weight hog? Are there any feed-mills nearby that grind and mix bulk hog-feed? If you want quality it will cost you some cash. If you just want to pay the least just buy the sale pork at the cheapest place you can find! Run some cost figures before you get the pigs so you will have some idea what the most expensive option is. Then start adding some of your cheaper stuff to the mix and bring down the feed cost as you can within reason. Do not think you can buy a couple of pigs and feed them on grass hay, stale bread, and dirty water and make any money. When you are asking why your 6month old 80 pound pig is not butcher size like his litter mates it is not going to be a good answer.

It wouldn't matter about how long it takes to finish them out, I really do not plan on selling them on the market. But would be nice to be able to finish them out in 6-7 months. Just using them for meat for my own family any extended family that wants some but I wouldn't sell to break even maybe just sell to them really cheap to get a little back to help with the commercial feed. But I do not intend on making money back on them.(I know sounds stupid) ..But I'm not in it to make money so to speak, well at least not pork. Stocking the freezer would be enough for me and piece of mind knowing what went into it so to speak. I probably spend about 150-200 a month on pork for my family of 6 and its steadily growing..lol Guess you could look at the pigs as more of a hobby more so or like a pet you feed..

Thanks for all the comments :)

Arkansas":gwx6cdzk said:
Anyone here grown any corn on there own for livestock feed chickens, pigs etc ? I was thinking of growing maybe 4 acres of corn and sticking it in a corn crib.. But from what I have read there is the drying out of it or what not to make sure it doesn't mold etc, any clues on how to make it work.. I seen online where some folks throw a whole shuck of corn to the chickens to peck clean.. I am reading that it's cheaper then buying corn by half any truth to this ?? Figuring on raising a few pigs and the chickens are moving up in numbers etc so looking for a cheaper route to go.. Buying in bulk just isn't as cheap as it used to be..

50 lb. bag of Reids yellow dent corn can be had for $75 dollars . Four bags should plant the four acres. Many years ago my dad and his brothers planted this variety. Made in the neighbor hood of 100 bushels per acre. That is in East Texas and not noted for large corn yields. So you should harvest around 375 to 400 bushels. Harvest in the shuck and store in crib a not problem with mold. So you are looking at about 25000 lb.s of ear corn. When they fed to hogs they only shucked the corn and tossed the ears in the hog pen. I would think that the expense would as an estimate run around $200 dollars an acre. So if you have the time and kid power to harvest by hand then I think it would be worth while effort. Plus if you like it the first time then you can save your seed and not have that expense each year.

hurleyjd":qrxloxub said:
Arkansas":qrxloxub said:
Anyone here grown any corn on there own for livestock feed chickens, pigs etc ? I was thinking of growing maybe 4 acres of corn and sticking it in a corn crib.. But from what I have read there is the drying out of it or what not to make sure it doesn't mold etc, any clues on how to make it work.. I seen online where some folks throw a whole shuck of corn to the chickens to peck clean.. I am reading that it's cheaper then buying corn by half any truth to this ?? Figuring on raising a few pigs and the chickens are moving up in numbers etc so looking for a cheaper route to go.. Buying in bulk just isn't as cheap as it used to be..

50 lb. bag of Reids yellow dent corn can be had for $75 dollars . Four bags should plant the four acres. Many years ago my dad and his brothers planted this variety. Made in the neighbor hood of 100 bushels per acre. That is in East Texas and not noted for large corn yields. So you should harvest around 375 to 400 bushels. Harvest in the shuck and store in crib a not problem with mold. So you are looking at about 25000 lb.s of ear corn. When they fed to hogs they only shucked the corn and tossed the ears in the hog pen. I would think that the expense would as an estimate run around $200 dollars an acre. So if you have the time and kid power to harvest by hand then I think it would be worth while effort. Plus if you like it the first time then you can save your seed and not have that expense each year.

That population would be pretty high. I have planted Reid's once. I had no way to check the yield. It made a short ear, but had decent circumference. I don't think it's a hybrid. I'm not sure. It was getting so late in the spring that I hated to plant the $300 a bag stuff.

Arkansas, what is your goal for butcher weight?
You shouldn't need to feed them for 7 to 8 months to get to a nice size. The pigs that we bought weigh about 50 and 80 pounds. The 80 pound one should be ready to harvest in about 3 to 4 months. I am not going to get both processed at the same time.

Another thing to consider, the longer you feed it, the more it is going to cost even if you feed it at minimal cost ( corn, scraps, milk and eggs).

chippie":21riezy1 said:
You shouldn't need to feed them for 7 to 8 months to get to a nice size. The pigs that we bought weigh about 50 and 80 pounds. The 80 pound one should be ready to harvest in about 3 to 4 months. I am not going to get both processed at the same time.

Another thing to consider, the longer you feed it, the more it is going to cost even if you feed it at minimal cost ( corn, scraps, milk and eggs).

Sorry just seen, anywhere from 250-325..

Arkansas":2u4u5vtb said:
chippie":2u4u5vtb said:

Sorry just seen, anywhere from 250-325..

Arky, on a high quality feed you can figure your pig will gain 2 lbs. per day. They have a very efficient digestive system and will do this on about 5=6 lb. of feed per day. Use the good stuff. I think you will save money and have much better "eating".

TexasBred":cz8zxkok said:
Arky, on a high quality feed you can figure your pig will gain 2 lbs. per day. They have a very efficient digestive system and will do this on about 5=6 lb. of feed per day. Use the good stuff. I think you will save money and have much better "eating".

1198133656_yrLte-Ti.jpg