Corn Gas

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
From Beef:
" … In the seven years since the policy was enacted, the RFS has failed to meet its goals of protecting the environment and reducing dependence on foreign oil. It has and is forcing Americans to pay more for fuel, and it has raised food prices around the world. And yet, ethanol lobbying groups continue to argue on behalf of the policy, armed with an array of invalid claims."

Folks can yammer all they want to about how corn-based ethanol is positive for agriculture, right after they convince me of, among other things, that:

•An industry propped up by government subsidies and double-taxation represents a market of any kind.

•National security is stronger with the nation's agriculture and energy policies wrapped together.

•Paying more for less energy returned per unit of input makes the nation more energy independent.

•The RFS hasn't played a major role in driving corn prices higher than they would be otherwise.

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/stoke-rfs- ... c4enews=42

It's all B.S. The government used agriculture to rip us off again. The sad thing about that is the corn farmers were happy to put the screwing to all of us. There is no telling how high gas and corn would be right now, if it wasn't for the oil companies. The oil companies figured how to get the oil out of the shale rock. Fracking has saved us at least a $1.00 a gallon. Hopefully corn will get back down to $2.50 a bu.
Might make paying for them new tractors a little harder, just like me spending $125.00 to fill my truck up with fuel.
Subsidies stink if your not on the receiving end.

It's a dang shame to blend all that alcohol with gasoline. I'm thinking we should also subsidize the barrel making industry.
Two words: Iowa Presidential Straw Poll. OK, four words.

highgrit":15u2kbue said:
It's all B.S. The government used agriculture to rip us off again. ......

Actually isn't it Ag that's using government to rip us off again?

Me on ddg again. You'd think that ddg would be cheaper than it is. The whole thing is subsidized up to its crotch. You can usually count on ddg being higher than corn, and both are produced locally. It what lop sided world is a by product more valuable than the original?

highgrit":qrqc8mwy said:
It's all B.S. The government used agriculture to rip us off again. The sad thing about that is the corn farmers were happy to put the screwing to all of us. There is no telling how high gas and corn would be right now, if it wasn't for the oil companies. The oil companies figured how to get the oil out of the shale rock. Fracking has saved us at least a $1.00 a gallon. Hopefully corn will get back down to $2.50 a bu.
Might make paying for them new tractors a little harder, just like me spending $125.00 to fill my truck up with fuel.
Subsidies stink if your not on the receiving end.

:shock: Blasphemy

the corn producer didn't net much more money pr acre from the high $$$ corn being sold because all the inputs went up as well
N fert doubled in price fuel doubled in price parts went up because freight went up
so don't try to say the farmers got rich at your expense

Archer-Daniels-Midland Co and Cargill Inc made the big money.

The government created the demand by mandating ethanol use. Now the supply of ethanol exceeds the demand and rumors are the government might raise the mandated usage. They are creating a derivatives market trading on usage credits. The only thing slowing this bigger mandate are the auto and small engine manufactures saying how harmful these high ethanol mixtures are to engines.

All this is another example of misguided government mandates creating unintended negative effects.

Basic government formula : Take from citizen taxpayers and funnel to crony campaign contributors equals elected ruling class. (T*C=E)

Farmers did nothing wrong. Quite the contrary, they filled a market need. Just like any good business man does.

Bigfoot":vwfcgrhy said:
Me on ddg again. You'd think that ddg would be cheaper than it is. The whole thing is subsidized up to its crotch. You can usually count on ddg being higher than corn, and both are produced locally. It what lop sided world is a by product more valuable than the original?

In this case yes. More protein, more fat, more energy and just as digestible AND serves a totally different purpose. You can't blame a company for making money off of anything they produce even if it is the residue of their primary product. About the ONLY reason I would encourage ethanol use at all is because of the DDG by-product.

highgrit":34e54brx said:
It's all B.S. The government used agriculture to rip us off again. The sad thing about that is the corn farmers were happy to put the screwing to all of us. There is no telling how high gas and corn would be right now,

Folks that made the big $ sold inputs including land. Cow/calf guys just got to pay more for hay...

I can not imagine what would cause the shut down the existing ethanol plants, but if it happened there would be another crisis for corn growers.

Brute 23":24j5u1vo said:
Im not real good at all this stuff but doesn't ethanol hurt the livestock people. Ethanol drives corn up which can drive livestock prices down, correct?

And reduces availability world wide. That just starves a few more people and all.

Sky, I can't believe you would put corn in the same class as God, and faith in our savior. And A.C. come on man get real. Why did the farmers tear up good pasture and hay fields to plant corn?? Why did the farmers lease up every piece of ground for a premium price and plant corn on it?? The ethanol mandate was great for the farmer, and bad for the consumer.

Bigfoot":30mrtcbo said:
Tb,

I've just got Ill will towards ethanol. Don't pay me no attention.

All is good....call the old boys over there at the "Jack Daniels" distillery. See if you can get some of the "Original" and higher quality DDG. ;-)

Brute 23":2vr5ualm said:
Im not real good at all this stuff but doesn't ethanol hurt the livestock people. Ethanol drives corn up which can drive livestock prices down, correct?

Demand, cost of production and inventories affect cost of about everything. The day of $1.80 a bu. corn are long gone and ethanol has little to do with it. It's just another market for the farmer.

highgrit":2whh7jna said:
Sky, I can't believe you would put corn in the same class as God, and faith in our savior. And A.C. come on man get real. Why did the farmers tear up good pasture and hay fields to plant corn?? Why did the farmers lease up every piece of ground for a premium price and plant corn on it?? The ethanol mandate was great for the farmer, and bad for the consumer.

high, It is blasphemy to me because corn crops have fed my family and kept them a float for a long time. That is something that is near and dear to my heart. I didn't post that to be offensive to god I posted that cause it is a Blasphemous thing to my ears.

highgrit":363xv62k said:

Are you saying that calf prices should fall so people do not pay higher pasture rent than you would like to see? When someone is in business and needs to expand to make more profit about 99.5% of them will expand whether they produce grain or livestock. Seems strange that the cattle people are the ones crying since there livestock can be grown without the use of corn. Your competition (pork and poultry) are virtually 100% dependent on grain. I would think that would give the beef producer a market advantage.

Latest posts