Oklahoma Beef, Inc. sale

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie

Reaction score
The OBI spring All-Beed Perfromance Tested Bull sale will be 12 Noon, Thursday, March 31, 2005 at the OBI facility west of Stillwater, OK. Selling 178 Angus - 13 Hereford - 2 Braunvieh - 7 Red Angus - 5 Salers - 3 Simmental

Should be somthing there for everyone. Lunch will be served. You can call or email for a catalog or it's available at this link:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/exten/OBI/sales.htm

Frankie, my brother was telling me there were some real fast gaining bulls coming out of that test, including some in the high-five-low six pound per day vicinity.

greenwillowherefords":3pqdkdmt said:
Frankie, my brother was telling me there were some real fast gaining bulls coming out of that test, including some in the high-five-low six pound per day vicinity.

In looking at the catalog, I see one Hereford at over 5 lbs per day, actually 5.99. He belongs to DLR Polled Herefords, if you know them. I don't know if I've ever seen a 6 lb gainer in the Hereford test. At least one on a Brangus test, though.

We've had some 6 pound gainers in the Angus tests for several years. Not a lot of them, but we're starting to see them more often.

I was not just referring to Herefords. I looked at the website. If I am not mistaken, the Hereford is in the top two or three bulls on the test. I know of DLR. Looked at a bull out of a cow from there. It appeared to me that the Herefords had the second best average in the test. They certainly had the highest gaining non-Angus individual. Before you could call such a test conclusive proof, there would need to be a more even ratio than 13 Herefords versus 70 Angus. Congrats on your breed's performance, however.

greenwillowherefords":1c6meqz4 said:
I was not just referring to Herefords. I looked at the website. If I am not mistaken, the Hereford is in the top two or three bulls on the test. I know of DLR. Looked at a bull out of a cow from there. It appeared to me that the Herefords had the second best average in the test. They certainly had the highest gaining non-Angus individual. Before you could call such a test conclusive proof, there would need to be a more even ratio than 13 Herefords versus 70 Angus. Congrats on your breed's performance, however.

"13 Herefords versus 70 Angus" I'm not sure where you get those figures? But the actual number of Angus tested is much higher than any other breed. I agree that we'd be better off with more Herefords, or any other breed, testing alongside Angus. That's why I take every opportunity to encourage breeders to performance test their bulls, at OBI or in their state testing station.

I must have misread the 178. I wish more would enter bulls in the test as well. My brother may have one sired by my old 092 bull in it next time around....if he gets beyond talking about it. Take Care, Frankie.

We had to leave before the sale was over so I don't have the final average. I heard that Angus averaged about $3,000. That's up considerably from the last few years. But this had to be one of the best groups of Angus bulls you'll see anywhere. I heard more than one person say that you'd be getting a good bull no matter which one you bought.

Congratulations! If it was like that it will just get better next year.

Latest posts