OK this is what is happening

Help Support CattleToday:

Yup. Then she proceeded to beat the heck out of the calf once it was born. Started thinkin' - how the heck are we going to get that calf away from her without gettin' killed ourselves. Luckily she calmed down before she killed the calf. Now she's the best mother in the whole herd. Looks after her own and everyone else's too.

Farmhand":35pcvmnr said:
Yup. Then she proceeded to beat the heck out of the calf once it was born. Started thinkin' - how the heck are we going to get that calf away from her without gettin' killed ourselves. Luckily she calmed down before she killed the calf. Now she's the best mother in the whole herd. Looks after her own and everyone else's too.

That's where a pitchfork comes in handy in most cases.

msscamp":3bcplvpa said:
Wewild":3bcplvpa said:
Beefy":3bcplvpa said:
have you ever had one give out excruciating moos the whole time?

Yes.

What were the circumstances of the birth?

Don't know. I was sleeping and she woke me up. When I checked on her the next afternoon she had a calf at her side.

I've also been awaken when a calf was outside the fence from the same noise.

seen it twice. circumstances were normal. first calf heifer with an easy enough birth and a cow that had had two or three already with another uneventful birth. some are just overly dramatic i guess. screamers, if you will.

Wewild":1bnx1zj8 said:
msscamp":1bnx1zj8 said:
Wewild":1bnx1zj8 said:
Beefy":1bnx1zj8 said:
have you ever had one give out excruciating moos the whole time?

Yes.

What were the circumstances of the birth?

Don't know. I was sleeping and she woke me up. When I checked on her the next afternoon she had a calf at her side.

I've also been awaken when a calf was outside the fence from the same noise.

I'm all to familiar with the last statement! The calves tend to belly up to the bar so to speak, and one of them always ends up getting bunted through the feed bunk rails. The resulting noise from Mom can wake the dead!!

Latest posts