OK this is what is happening

Help Support CattleToday:

lancemart

Reaction score
My bred Heiffer Olivia's teats are starting to bet much bigger and they are lower. Her bag has not really dropped yet and I am waiting for that. How long approximately is it till she gives birth? I did not keep good records. I will in the future. I am nervous this is the first time for her and the first time for me. What should I be loolking for? I want to be ther when she has her calf.

Hey Lance I know how ya feel I take off from work when my girls are about to give birth Man it is a tough guess but I would gues if they are filling and not dropped 1 week to 10 days Please keep me posted on the actual time Im sure there are some pros here that may give you more of a scientific answer Godd Luck.Also I read and it has come to pass for me "That if the heifer is late it is 90% chance a bull calf" That is if ya know when she is do.

lancemart":wknh8dog said:
My bred Heiffer Olivia's teats are starting to bet much bigger and they are lower. Her bag has not really dropped yet and I am waiting for that. How long approximately is it till she gives birth? I did not keep good records. I will in the future. I am nervous this is the first time for her and the first time for me. What should I be loolking for? I want to be ther when she has her calf.

The bag is not one of the more reliable indicators of time to calving. You need to be watching her backside. The area around her vagina, to be exact. As her cervix gets bigger (dilating), the tissue around her vaginal area will become loose and floppy. This loose and floppiness combined with her bagging up is a pretty reliable way to tell how close she is getting to calving. Your instinct will also kick in to some degree, depending on how long you have been doing this. When she starts getting close, since she is a first time heifer, I would put her in as clean and dry of an area, (preferably near the calving set-up in case of problems) that is also small enough for you to be able to see her, but not so small as to cause her to freak out, as you have and start watching her around the clock. I generally check the heifers about every 2-3 hours unless they are restless, don't seem quite right, etc - at which point I check them every 1-1.5 hours. Once labor has started, I check them every 30 minutes. Word of caution, however, some heifers don't dilate.

Give her your cell phone, and show her how to dial it, so she can call you and tell you when her water breaks... should give you enuff time to get out there and help deliver her lil baby if she needs it. :lol: :cboy:

Medic24":cu8khmto said:
Give her your cell phone, and show her how to dial it, so she can call you and tell you when her water breaks... should give you enuff time to get out there and help deliver her lil baby if she needs it. :lol: :cboy:

LMAO Good one Medic!! Thats the true way to know LOL

Medic24":155a0ojn said:

I have free calling after 9PM until 7AM I hope it happens between those hours. I told her not to use the phone unless it is free. We keeping going over our minutes.
My bull Pasqualle continues calling all his girlfriends, he likes to wine and dine them, buys a bottle of Lancers Rose also. He is past the Boones Strawberry.

lancemart":tsqbr73i said:
Medic24":tsqbr73i said:

I have free calling after 9PM until 7AM I hope it happens between those hours. I told her not to use the phone unless it is free. We keeping going over our minutes.
My bull Pasqualle continues calling all his girlfriends, he likes to wine and dine them, buys a bottle of Lancers Rose also. He is past the Boones Strawberry.

If she is like most first time calvers, that will work out perfectly! ;-) :) Sounds like Pacqualle has refined taste!

Unless you pen her, she'll wander off into some private area and let Mom Nature take its course. One thing certain, she will have the calf. Relax it'll get here soon enough.

Bez

Bez is right.. with or without us.... she is gonna do it to it.... just pray for no complications if you happen NOT to be there.

If she turns up missing from the main herd, start looking in out of the way places that may be wooded, or lots of brush.....and there my friend you will likely find her. :cboy:

Maybe the cell phone is not such a good idea, after all, you never ever give a phone to a woman carte blanche! You think your over your minutes now .......... ;-)

Good luck with your heifer...our cows usually drop the udder about six weeks before calving the heifers one to two weeks. The space between the tailhead and the pin bones will sink in and the vulva will enlarge and become conjested about a week or less before calving...when she starts to kick at her belly you know that labor has started....don't help her along unless she's beef in labor for what seems like a long time and nothing is happening then you need to glove-up and check her out.
Two feet followed by a head is always a sight that makes you know why you stay on the farm.
Post a pic of the new addition when it arrives

Susie David":32gfmx7m said:
...when she starts to kick at her belly you know that labor has started....

Hmmmmmm, that's interesting. In all the time I have been watching cattle calve, not a one of them kicked at their belly unless they were in trouble.

I've seen it. More so in the 1st - 2nd calvers. More common here is they lick their sides a lot.

Farmhand":w22cgffv said:
I've seen it. More so in the 1st - 2nd calvers. More common here is they lick their sides a lot.

I've never seen our's do that, either. Interesting! :?

ours stick their tail up funny and smell the ground a lot. then they lay down and a bunch of stuff comes out.

That's pretty much what our's do, too. The heifer's calving generally involves a lot of getting up, and laying down and stomping around in circles, along with the stuff being expelled.

Never, although we have had a pet or two that did a whole lot of moaning during the calving process. Beat anything I've ever heard of! The whole time they had their head's in someone's lap! :???: Actually, I shouldn't say 'never', I should have said not that I can remember.

Latest posts