oh no

Help Support CattleToday:

cattleluvr18

Reaction score
ok so i moved my market heifer for this years fair from the heifer lot to the one with our other market animals so we can start breaking them. shes the one with the nub i posted about and now my dad noticed the other day that she has a little blueish spot right in the middle of her left eye. what is it and what does it mean? is she gonna go blind in that eye? can we take her to the vet to have something done about it? and if it does go blind would it be ok to halter break and show a calf that is blind in one eye? any suggestions shall help me cause shes the best heifer we got!

Sounds like pink eye. Very treatable. Do a search here on the boards....lots of good information (especially on the Health Board)...

Good luck and hope it clears up.

Ryan

You will probably want to take her to the vet and have her eye checked out. It could be a blind spot developing or just a small bruise.

My 3 y/o QH filly has the same thing and she can see fine; she had just poked herself in the eye with a small branch.

If it is a blind spot, she will probably adapt to it. Sooner or later, you will be able to halter break her.

It also depends what eye she has the spot in. You may need to do things differently on the side that she has the spot. She will get used to having it there and won't be worried about it.

Hope this helps and I hope she is fine.
-Angus Girl

Is it draining? If not, could be an old pink eye, have they been vaccinated with a respiratory vaccine recently? Reason I ask is we had a calf this year that had a reaction to the vaccine in the eye and it got huge, stuck out and solid white within a day, just goes away on its own, just a couple different possibilities.

it's not pink eye it is blue eye and yes if it is not treated the calf can go blind if left for over a year. you can take her to the vet he can fix it but all he is going to do is give her pennicillan and charge you. we just do it our selves now to our 500+ herd. now with the eye ball take a syringe with a small gauge needle and put 3cc of penicillen in the syringe and lift the eyelid up and put the needle right above the eye(not in the eye) and just let the penicillen run over the eye then just put 10-15 cc in the neck should clear up in awhile and even it it goes on for over a year and the calf goes blind then the blue spot turns yellow and then vet can take it off and the calf can see again. also make sure the calf is in a headgate any more questions just ask

thanx for the replys. my dad is goin to go talk to the vet tomarrow. she used to be in with 14 other heifers. do you think any of them might have this too? could the steer shes with get it? pobibly just gonna have to wait and see what the vet says.

cattleluvr18":2ewzstij said:
thanx for the replys. my dad is goin to go talk to the vet tomarrow. she used to be in with 14 other heifers. do you think any of them might have this too? could the steer shes with get it? pobibly just gonna have to wait and see what the vet says.
it is kindad contagious but it aint very easy to pass on

vet said its pink eye. gotta spray some stuff in her eye for a couple of days and hope that it gets better. if it dont we gotta try sometin else. i hope it just gets better.

pinkeye is contagious. I'd try to keep her separated to prevent spread and make her more accessible to treat. Make sure you wash your hands because you can get it too.

the two times we've had pinkeye our vet gave us some spray stuff, and an ointment. Lot easier and safer than using a syringe in and around the calves eyes. cleared up real fast both times, too.

Ryan":288yxtdc said:
the two times we've had pinkeye our vet gave us some spray stuff, and an ointment. Lot easier and safer than using a syringe in and around the calves eyes. cleared up real fast both times, too.
Ryan, did you take the needle off the syringe? I also squirt LA200 directly in the eye at the first sign of pinkeye or when giving shots of LA200 for pinkeye. I use a pistol grip syringe, set the dosage for 1 cc, and quite often can treat a calf without catching it, if no shot is needed. For best results you have to take the needle off if you're squirting it in the eye.

Chris H":qji5x128 said:
Ryan":qji5x128 said:
Ryan, did you take the needle off the syringe? I also squirt LA200 directly in the eye at the first sign of pinkeye or when giving shots of LA200 for pinkeye. I use a pistol grip syringe, set the dosage for 1 cc, and quite often can treat a calf without catching it, if no shot is needed. For best results you have to take the needle off if you're squirting it in the eye.

I never used a syringe....vet did once on the first one, i think. but after that and on later cases just used the spray and ointment. If I did need to "squirt" something in the eye, personally i would remove the needle. no telling when a calf might jerk its head to the side or something like that

well i sprayed it a couple of times and it seems to be getting better. there is no way i would try the whole needle over the eye thing. i know my luck and she'd jerk while i was doin it. thanks for the replys guys. you helped.

Latest posts