No fit blow and show shows

Help Support CattleToday:

Rules vary. In Houston and San Antonio they do not allow any product that leaves a residual. In fact they towel them for even any trace of oil. But most of out small shows that are blow and go, Merely state no adheisives or coloring agents. If the show does not have a premium book I would assume the latter. Better to always check before you start getting them ready.

We had our first one ever yesterday and assumed we would just wash and dry and maybe spray a little oil. Several of our friends went in clean, without anything, as did we. Were we surprised to see some that obviously had more on them. It seemed to work for them-they seemed to place better. My daughters calf went up against one that was all decked out and the judge didn't even give my daughter's a glance. I'll be glad when we learn all of the in's and out's of this game!

Did the judge place the fitted calf? If so, that wasn't right.

There are a lot of blow and go shows here. No grooming products allowed.

The Blow 'n Go shows give an even bigger advantage to those calves with the best hair and daily hair work. A calf which has hair trained to natually "pop" can be moosed on the legs and tailhead, then have the body hair readied for show, and walk into the ring looking completely fit. The whinners who complain about
the "professional" fitters now have dug themsleves an even deeper hole for Show Day.

Serves 'em right!

I was at the show and yes some had been fitted etc. If I am guessing the ones you are talking about arent the greatest example. I am pretty sure that some of the cows had been filled up in a trailer before the show. The show went a little longer so the calf "pooped" out water!

AAOK":3c6qpf75 said:
The Blow 'n Go shows give an even bigger advantage to those calves with the best hair and daily hair work. A calf which has hair trained to natually "pop" can be moosed on the legs and tailhead, then have the body hair readied for show, and walk into the ring looking completely fit. The whinners who complain about
the "professional" fitters now have dug themsleves an even deeper hole for Show Day.

Serves 'em right!
:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I continue to be baffled as to why anyone would think that a livestock show has anything to do with actual livestock production.

I confess that they used to be a good venue for kids to learn stuff but that was in days gone by. Now the most they will learn is shortcuts and shysterism.

Judges never met a rule they could not bend anyway.

The shows around her are the same. no oil products, moosed up leggs, adhesives or color of any type.
How we get our cattle ready for a blow 'n go show is, every day 2x daily we blow out the cattle and apply a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol, 25% sullivan's Kleen Sheen and 25% Absorbine Veterinary Liniment. The Absorbine helps to straighten out the hair, rubbing alcohol is a great cleaner and will take out any dandruff,or dust from bedding and there is no need to wash the morning of show, only spot washing, takes hours out of prep time :D Kleen Sheen will give a glossy coat without the oils.
The night before showing wash with soap and water, dry with above mixture and bed down on clean shavings, next morning blow 'n go, using the mixture above to clean the animal, rember less is more. Don't spry the mixture on too heavy. My kids and I love these shows, we hate the whole thing with the adhesives and spray paint. We can't wait for the day all the cattle are clean shaven :shock:

Thank you so much for the info. We will definately try that. Would you use that formula before a regular show also? Do you use it throughout the show season? We have a big one coming up in 3 weeks and we have some hair that needs some work. Thanks.

showmomof2":y801lm4g said:
Thank you so much for the info. We will definately try that. Would you use that formula before a regular show also? Do you use it throughout the show season? We have a big one coming up in 3 weeks and we have some hair that needs some work. Thanks.
Every night the kids blow their animals out with the mixture. When we get ready for a show the kids work the coats 2x daily the week before (during the winter months). On school days and winter days they just use the mixture. Its just too cold to wash, they spot wash all winter long. Yesterday was the first sunny day we have had since the beginning of December so all of their cattle got the full treatment. During the summer we wet down the cattle with water and rinse them with a bucket of water and a quarter size squirt of Mane 'n Tail conditioner, they only use soap and water once a week. My kids put the squirt of cond. in the bucket first and use the hose presure to mix it together. It will look bubbly but dont worrie. Do not rinse, leave in, it will make the coat real soft and easier to pop as the weeks go by. We put the cond. in every rinse, every night all summer long, from May to Sept. Our routine looks like this in the summer- feed, rinse, blow dry, mixture, blow dry, all done in the cooler barn (morning). Feed rinse, comb, do not blow dry, let cattle out of cooler barn if temp is below 80. The kids do this all summer long. When we blow dry the routine looks like this- rinse, comb hair down, then forward, blow dry forward till dry. Then put mixture on, blow dry forward even the leggs are blown and combed this way. When the animal is fully dry comb the hair up , lightly mist with mixture and stand about 2-3 feet away from animal and "pop" the coat up. Its an art and takes a little getting use too but well worth the trouble. Good luck and I would be doing the mixture every day and if its warm enough rinse too. Remember less is more and if you water it ...it will grow :D
sorry about spelling :cry:
p.s. Allways blow out your cattle before you wash/rinse them :D

showmomof2":ycb1bywj said:
Feel free to pm me if you need help with anything, good luck and happy showing :D

Latest posts