No Fit Shows

Help Support CattleToday:

And doubly as ridiculous here in the south. If you don't have a cooler it makes it hard to compete. And why would you want to grow hair on a calf that's environment is tropical? :cowboy:

TheBullLady":1p2ybt4h said:
And doubly as ridiculous here in the south. If you don't have a cooler it makes it hard to compete. And why would you want to grow hair on a calf that's environment is tropical? :cowboy:

Because our calves come from up north.

Well our fair was slick sheared this year and you wouldn't believe the number of compliments we've received about going slick. Even the showmanship judge raved about it. It takes as much work getting a slick sheared steer in show shape as a haired one. For one thing, it is so important to make sure that the skin is kept clean and healthy.

The steers were all comfortable and stayed clean.

chippie":3q1qydw5 said:
Well our fair was slick sheared this year and you wouldn't believe the number of compliments we've received about going slick. Even the showmanship judge raved about it. It takes as much work getting a slick sheared steer in show shape as a haired one. For one thing, it is so important to make sure that the skin is kept clean and healthy.

The steers were all comfortable and stayed clean.

For a small county show in the Texas, slick is not bad.

I would like to check one of these show out havnt been to many but the ones I do they have been fited shows like to see animals in a more natural look to them ....

Cowboy 2.0":2fsf36as said:

our couny fair had 48 steer exhibitors, 127 swine exhibitors, 100 goat exhibitors, 49 lamb exhibitors, 50 rabbit exhibitors, 41 roaster exhibitors, and 43 broiler exhibitors.

chippie":27v9edw8 said:
Cowboy 2.0":27v9edw8 said:

our couny fair had 48 steer exhibitors, 127 swine exhibitors, 100 goat exhibitors, 49 lamb exhibitors, 50 rabbit exhibitors, 41 roaster exhibitors, and 43 broiler exhibitors.

Smaller than ours and we're slick too.

Our county fair was considering going to a slick show "to even they playing field" even though it is currently blow and go, they even issue your soap when at the wash racks, you can not bring in your own soap or any other product.
Some of the concern with a slick show that were brought up was.
Do the cattle sun burn? Our barn is enclosed but the holding area is in the open and the ring is only covered by a shade cloth.
Did they really think that it would make an even playing field? The people that brought good haired cattle would bring good slick sheared cattle, they would still work the hair keep them in their cool box, the cattle would still be superior to the frame size 7 calve that weighed 1150 pounds.
Currently the kids that had cattle with no hair only clip the head and the long hairs just bellow tail head. Once they went to slick they would need to make sure that all the hair did not exceed the predetermined hair length. If you saw some of the clip jobs on their heads you would understand why this would be near impossible for them to accomplish.

I could go on and on about why it won't make a difference but you get the picture.

No fit shows are nice right before a big show like Tulsa, Denver, and the Oklahoma Youth Expo, because you get to save your hair but other than that they arent really very logical. No fit shows put me (and cowboy) out of business. even if you dont fit, your hair should be trained to stand up on its own. I feel the same way that cowboy does, calves that are taken care of PROPERLY look fit even if they are not.

I like no fit shows for 2 reasons. 1. I'm 51 and getting lazy. 2. When I put a calf on a halter she is good with hair or no hair.
With that said... If it is a fit show, I'll will call son #2 home from school and also out fit the other guy. After we are done I let son #2 unfit the mess we both made and clean up. So either way I have fun at it. I consider it a level playing field as long as everyone plays each game by the given set of rules.