"Offset" vs "tandem" disk?

Help Support CattleToday:

OklaBrangusBreeder

Reaction score
So I have an old JD box drill that I use to seed wheat in my pasture each Fall. Since my drill is not a "no-till" drill, I usually run a disk pass ahead of drilling. I've been using an 8' JD tandem disk I had before I got my larger tractor which has cutout blades on the front and smooth blades on back. I am looking to get a larger disk in the 11'/12' range sometime in the next few weeks with a similar blade set-up.

So for doing what I've described above, would you suggest getting an "offset" disk or a "tandem" type disk?

I may be off base but I think the OP is referring to some harrows that have two gangs of discs that are offset but they don't function completely like an offset harrow. I hope I'm making sense. These harrows generally cut better than a tandem harrow but don't cut as much as an offset harrow and they don't level as well as a tandem harrow. For your particular goal I would reccomend a tandem harrow that you can adjust the gangs on if you want to change the pitch a little bit to make it throw a little more or little less dirt.

OklaBrangusBreeder":4am595xn said:
So I have an old JD box drill that I use to seed wheat in my pasture each Fall. Since my drill is not a "no-till" drill, I usually run a disk pass ahead of drilling. I've been using an 8' JD tandem disk I had before I got my larger tractor which has cutout blades on the front and smooth blades on back. I am looking to get a larger disk in the 11'/12' range sometime in the next few weeks with a similar blade set-up.

So for doing what I've described above, would you suggest getting an "offset" disk or a "tandem" type disk?

I have had good results with just the drill. Adjust the disk to have as much tension as possible on them. The seeds do not need to be planted very deep about a quarter to a half inch.

hurleyjd":1rwat4c9 said:
OklaBrangusBreeder":1rwat4c9 said:

I have had good results with just the drill. Adjust the disk to have as much tension as possible on them. The seeds do not need to be planted very deep about a quarter to a half inch.

Same here. A single disk drill works best . Short sod and moist but not sticky soil. Like Hurley said. Set on deepest setting, let most of the air out of the tires and the seed box full.
Works very well for ryegrass.
As far as the disc I'd go with tandem.

I see these guys up here around Jourdanton plant with their disks.They come in with 2 pretty good size tractors with tandom disks, seed boxes built on, and drags. They make one pass and plant oats. Comes up beautiful with rain. They cover a lot of country like that.

3LEGGED1":3pae06uu said:
What is it, a seeder on a disk. Please teach

3 Legged1, by the photo it's just simply a single gang harrow out in front of the drill, followed up by another single gang harrow slightly angled, covering the seed. Judging from the photo, it looks like the angled harrow might toss too much dirt over the seed. But maybe not. Proof is in the pudding, right? :nod:

Latest posts