Off-Grid electricity

Help Support CattleToday:

Andrew

Reaction score
Hello,
I'm wondering is anyone is off the electric grid and making your own electricity.
My place is a few miles from the nearest lines and I need some eletricity for the farm house.

I'm going to have to generate my own electricity.

Is anyone else doing this already? I sure would appreciate any advice.

Thanks,
Andrew

I've heard those big wind mill looking things make a lot of energy, but I'm sure they cost a ton to put up. What about a generator?

If you always have wind - the the wind power models are a good options.
I don't know if the rebate programs are still available. But after i paid 10K to have Pg& E bring power to my place, i talked to a guy that said a wind powered unit would have cost me 20K with a 50% rebate from the state or feds, ( i forget which).

but you might want to check that out - will make the cost more in line with getting power "on the grid".

Alex

andrew,

The wind sounds promising based on what I have read. If your area has a high level of wind avg.(that data is available based on your longitude/latitude position)it may provide a good return on your investment. With some of the new composite materials used today they are much more efficent than before, I am led to believe.

I notice you are in Texas, don't forget passive solar, also. Check with your local electric provider...I think it is a green ...something...plan...whereby they will buy the excess from you...no matter how you produce it.

Thanks for the replies.

I have a generator that provides 120/230V - 30 amps and runs on gas. The problem is the noise and the fact that its not permanent nor renewable.
I've done some research on power generation and I think I will end up with a 7ft diam. wind generator going to a bank of 20- 12v industrial batteries. They're less than $1500.00 new w/o the pole. I get lots of wind as my property is on high ground. I think I will also need at least 45 watts of solar just in case the wind is less than 7mph.
I've found an 120/230 inverter that's over $3K.

The pricing I've gotten comes out to about $7K doing it all myself. I got a bid from as local reseller to do it all for $13K so I think I'll just do it myself.

The eletric coop gave me a bid of $25K to bring the line to my place but I have to get easements from at least 2 neighbors. That's the reason I'm looking into generating it myself.

I've experimented with a couple of batteries and a 12v 5watt solar panel. I get enough juice for a super-efficient 15watt light bulb for 3.5 hours with just one little 12v battery.

I was just wondering if anyone else has tried it and what problems they've run into.

Thanks,
Andrew

Depending on the size of the wind turbine you might want to go spend a few hours sitting around where there is one up and running. I've only hunted in areas with the turbines and could never get used to the contstant sound. I would also be concerned with the maintenance aspects. Seems like the ones that I was around spent about half the time down for maintenance /repair. At least there wa some one working on them, maybe just doing PM or killing time. Don't know for sure, never asked.

dun

Latest posts