Odd couple

Help Support CattleToday:

Black an Gus

Reaction score
So my neighbors speckle park bull got in with my cows for a few days. I wasn't sure if he bred anything until this calf was born.

A week later I got another surprise. A set of twins, one speckled, the other straight black. Is it possible that both my BA bull and the neighbors speckle park bull bred this cow? Or is this a kick back of some kind?

Speckled park can produce solid blacks so it's possible that the speckled park bull sired more than just two calves from your herd.

Awww - I love the speckled calves. I am going to own a Speckle Park one of these days. Actually I did own a 1/2 speckle park, but she did not work out all....needed a C-section, didn't want her calf, was kind of a snorty thing - maybe I'm a sucker but I still want to try another one though.

I believe you have a 50/50 chance for a solid black calf out of a Speckle bull and a solid black cow. So without DNA there is really no way of knowing which is the sire.
This website explains the color inheritance quite well. I don't for sure if it's exactly the same inheritance though when crossbreeding.
http://www.specklepark.ca/content/colour-pattern

Thanks for the link creekdrive! I thought they always threw speckled calves since they have shorthorn in them, and I know how long it takes to breed the chrome out of a shorthorn. If the speckle park heifers are replacement quality I may just keep them. The build is much the same as angus anyways. Or I could give you a good deal if you feel like driving to High Prairie. ;)

I like the first calf, she is cute. The twin is nuts though. I caught her to tag and such and when I let her go she ran through 3 fences and hid in the bush. Took 24 hours before I found her and got her back with her mom.

Black an Gus":3s15tzrk said:
So my neighbors speckle park bull got in with my cows for a few days. I wasn't sure if he bred anything until this calf was born.

A week later I got another surprise. A set of twins, one speckled, the other straight black. Is it possible that both my BA bull and the neighbors speckle park bull bred this cow? Or is this a kick back of some kind?

I think it could be possible.. evidently not if they were identical twins, but with non identical twins I think that is a possibility

I would keep the females and I think you'll like them as cows. There's usually 50% chance of getting solid calves anyways.

Latest posts