Oats straw and alfalfa vs. lick tank?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
I have a lot of oats straw to feed this winter. Plan to feed some alfalfa/grass hay with it. I also could borrow a QLF lick tank. Is there any situation where the lick tank would be more economical than supplementing straw with 14% CP hay?

Stocker Steve":31tz1eyz said:
I have a lot of oats straw to feed this winter. Plan to feed some alfalfa/grass hay with it. I also could borrow a QLF lick tank. Is there any situation where the lick tank would be more economical than supplementing straw with 14% CP hay?
thers 2 ways to answer your q.if you have a big supply of oat straw.you can use the lick tank to put a fire in their belly to keep them eating it.but if i had penty of good hay id prolly put out like 3 oat to 2 good bales plus the lick tank.

Anything that is self limiting will cost you more money --- especially lick tanks << bad idea to me

Oat hay plus http://www.haymastersystems.com/ will be more cost effective

Stocker Steve":3nt6m6jq said:

JustSimmental":16n4icko said:
Anything that is self limiting will cost you more money --- especially lick tanks << bad idea to me

Stocker Steve":16n4icko said:

Are you selling this stuff? Sure as he!! seems like it as much as you are pushing it. Heck, buy wet brewer's grain is a TON more cost effective than that crap you are pushing. 10lbs/hd/day @ $50/ton sure feeds a lot of cows for little $$$ and it makes the hay last longer, which in turn saves $$$.

*edited to fix spelling

JustSimmental":1vnmxn5k said:

Stocker Steve":1vnmxn5k said:

:bs: You may be as dumb as you look! :shock:

Theres a chance if you count on any type of feed to be delivered -you may end up either not being able to afford it ... to not being able to get it thru the whole winter.
If you can stockpile your needs its probably a good year to make sure you have on hand what you need.

The height of Ignorance is condemnation before investigation I don't sell this "stuff" I Use it. its simple, its easy and it works well when combining CP and mineral together and it costs less, but it does depend on how many cows you are feeding --just a few then there are many options. Lick tanks are great for the part time guy that works in town.

greatgerts":1m65nzpq said:
JustSimmental":1m65nzpq said:

Stocker Steve":1m65nzpq said:

Are you selling this stuff? Sure as he!! seems like it as much as you are pushing it. Heck, buy wet brewer's grain is a TON more cost effective than that crap you are pushing. 10lbs/hd/day @ $50/ton sure feeds a lot of cows for little $$$ and it makes the hay last longer, which in turn saves $$$.

*edited to fix spelling

JustSimmental":ytotpmjb said:
The height of Ignorance is condemnation before investigation I don't sell this "stuff" I Use it. its simple, its easy and it works well when combining CP and mineral together and it costs less, but it does depend on how many cows you are feeding --just a few then there are many options. Lick tanks are great for the part time guy that works in town.

Please show me your cost calculations as well as the overall affect on crude protein by using this "slop". I want to "juice" one 1200 lb bale of hay...how many head of cattle are on it is not important. I want to know what the end result is for that bale of hay after treatment.....total cost and crude protein of the finished product. Forget minerals. There is not enough there to affect any numbers or give any benefit.

The Haymaster system does work for increasing consumption of poor quality hay. Managed to get cows to eat some pretty rank hay a few years back. Having said that though, I think many of their claims about the ease and cost of treating bales is pure BS.

If you can get a natuarl product for your animals I think you will be money ahead of the Haymaster system, If not, their system is something to consider.

houstoncutter":120eipy4 said:
The Haymaster system does work for increasing consumption of poor quality hay. Managed to get cows to eat some pretty rank hay a few years back. Having said that though, I think many of their claims about the ease and cost of treating bales is pure BS.

If you can get a natuarl product for your animals I think you will be money ahead of the Haymaster system, If not, their system is something to consider.
So will ribbon cane syrup. ;-) Applied per directions it will raise the cost of a ton of hay by the cost of the "juice"...it will increase the crude protein value of 8% hay to 8.053%. Gonna take a while for the system to even pay for the cost of the equipment let alone give any return on your investment. But as the old boy says "I ain't screwed unless I think I'm screwed". :cowboy:

It call to put less than one gallon of 20 percent liquid per bale. That would be less than two pounds of protein per bale.

It wouldn't evben show any boost in quality, what a joke

user1":1f795tho said:
It call to put less than one gallon of 20 percent liquid per bale. That would be less than two pounds of protein per bale.

Yessir...now spread that 1.8 lbs. of most NPN thru a 1000 lb. bale and becomes almost non-existant. I've seen low quality hay covered, sealed and treated with anhydrous ammonia and raised the crude protein considerably and cattle love it but that's probably not cost effective now either.

If you look they are charging almost 500 dollars for 60 gal. Figure that in dollars per gal. But it would be around 1500 for a ton of their liquid. Not only no but heck no on this proposition.
Who ever can sell this stuff could surely sell refigerators to eskimos

TexasBred":1554svbz said:
user1":1554svbz said:

Yessir...now spread that 1.8 lbs. of most NPN thru a 1000 lb. bale and becomes almost non-existant. I've seen low quality hay covered, sealed and treated with anhydrous ammonia and raised the crude protein considerably and cattle love it but that's probably not cost effective now either.

By their recommendation they are spending about ten bucks to hardly effect the nurition of a bale. I'd bet that you could make a significant difference in nutrition if you'd spend the ten bucks on NH3.
But to really do it right you might want to spend a little more. But if you spent even fifty bucks on the bale of their liquid it still would hardly show.

user1":28eio5b4 said:
If you look they are charging almost 500 dollars for 60 gal. Figure that in dollars per gal. But it would be around 1500 for a ton of their liquid. Not only no but heck no on this proposition.
Ok we buy us a ton of this stuff...now we gotta invest in the equipment. :lol2: :cry2: :lol2:

TexasBred":mrd5xgmv said:
user1":mrd5xgmv said:
Ok we buy us a ton of this stuff...now we gotta invest in the equipment. :lol2: :cry2: :lol2:

Ain't that the truth.

The only thing this stuff might do is make it palataable for the cows to eat it. It wouldn't raise the nutritional value and other things could be used to make feed more palatable for a lot less input.

Latest posts