Nutrition software

Help Support CattleToday:

fargus

Reaction score
Hey all,
Just wondering if anybody uses ration balancing software that they like? I have used Cowbytes, and like the detail, but there is no "least cost ration" button that will auto-balance for you. It is a lot of trial and error. The other issue is I don't have a full version so I can only use so many ingredients, I can't justify the full version at this point in time. Anybody using something different (and preferably a bit cheaper) that they are happy with?

TIA,
Fargus

fargus there are several "free downloads" out there but none are really very good. A good feed formulation program will cost from $4000 to $20,000 especially if it all includes a ration balancing program in addition to the simple least cost formulation program.

I have an old DOS program out of Michigan State that I like fairly well. It's called Spartan and cost $100, Ithink it would do what you want. They were gonna come up with a windows based version, but last time I checked they didn't have it yet.

Larry

Check this link.

http://www.acsdrs.com/drs1st.html#rations

There are other reasonably priced programs that do least cost formulation out there too. This one is $995 for professional nutritionists and $195 for dairy farmers. I don't know if they sell it to beef guys, but I know some dairy guys who use it.

Hey TxBred, what programs are you looking at that cost $4-20,000? It's not my area of expertise, so I was kinda shocked to see prices that high.

Thanks.

JRGidaho`":1dws9qx4 said:
Check this link.

http://www.acsdrs.com/drs1st.html#rations

There are other reasonably priced programs that do least cost formulation out there too. This one is $995 for professional nutritionists and $195 for dairy farmers. I don't know if they sell it to beef guys, but I know some dairy guys who use it.

Hey TxBred, what programs are you looking at that cost $4-20,000? It's not my area of expertise, so I was kinda shocked to see prices that high.

Thanks.

JRG..I certainly don't have the $20,000 model but they are out there. Some companies will actually give them to nutritionist so they can promote them for the company. I use the Feed Management Program. Allows you to have almost unlimited ingredients, cost adjustments, very extenisve nutrient profile for each ingredient and will both least cost a single "mix" and do ration balancing for TMR's. If you have a need for it, it will also generate feed tags like those used by feed companies but I don't have that add-on. Can't remember exactly what it cost but was in the neighborhood of $7000 a couple of years ago. I did get it for about half that much.

Thanks for the replies. I'm doing my homework in advance. We have lots of hay for this winter, but I'm looking at purchasing more feed for the cows. From the digging I've done I can buy feed for cows in their second trimester cheaper than I can bale good hay for them. If I'm going to do that I may as well do a good job crunching numbers. Thanks again.

TX. Thanks for the clarification. JRG

TexasBred":7pkd2g2g said:
JRGidaho`":7pkd2g2g said:
Check this link.

JRG..I certainly don't have the $20,000 model but they are out there. Some companies will actually give them to nutritionist so they can promote them for the company. I use the Feed Management Program. Allows you to have almost unlimited ingredients, cost adjustments, very extenisve nutrient profile for each ingredient and will both least cost a single "mix" and do ration balancing for TMR's. If you have a need for it, it will also generate feed tags like those used by feed companies but I don't have that add-on. Can't remember exactly what it cost but was in the neighborhood of $7000 a couple of years ago. I did get it for about half that much.

I have some software from Oklahoma State, haven't played around with it at all but if you are intersted I can email it to you.

Latest posts