Is this a nutrition issue?

Help Support CattleToday:

TTBHG

Reaction score
I have a lot of 28 weaned Brangus heifer calves. Three have this same issue on the tail. I pulled some fecal samples and nothing came back out of ordinary. One had a little cocci but I started her on corid. I'm probably going to start the entire lot on it. If one has it they'll probably all have it before long. Any thoughts or suggestions?

338D2B90-FF2D-498B-A269-E7C3F367E820.jpeg

Looks like normal feeding cattle. Have you increased their concentrates lately? What I would guess with the information given, is that they are just adjusting to a feed increase/change.

I've never understood why a cow wont lift its dang tail to relieve itself. Drives me crazy seeing a cow with poop tail.

I've got one that's famous for doing it while laying down.

Looks like normal feeding cattle. Have you increased their concentrates lately? What I would guess with the information given, is that they are just adjusting to a feed increase/change.
No feed changes. They're on an 18% protein growing ration with free choice hay.

I tried to get a picture of one of the others as they're worse but she wouldn't cooperate. It was really clumped up on her tail. Almost to the point that you cannot see her tail.

Sorry for the blurry picture but I had to take it from a good distance back and just zoom in. This is the bad one.

A0982AD4-9DFB-4AFE-923B-8C8686C2457E.jpeg

I tried to get a picture of one of the others as they're worse but she wouldn't cooperate. It was really clumped up on her tail. Almost to the point that you cannot see her tail.
I agree with Farmgirl. Your hay must have plenty of protein in it. When feeding hay to feeder cattle I try and give them straight grass hay. Low protein mostly just for scratch. That way I can have better control over balancing their ration in the feed bunk.

I'm also going with too much protein. Looks like my calves with "brome butt" when I first turn them out to graze the brome field. I keep a bale of plain old prairie hay available for roughage.

Getting too much protein I suspect. Change in feed causes that.

I agree with Farmgirl. Your hay must have plenty of protein in it. When feeding hay to feeder cattle I try and give them straight grass hay. Low protein mostly just for scratch. That way I can have better control over balancing their ration in the feed bunk.

I'm also going with too much protein. Looks like my calves with "brome butt" when I first turn them out to graze the brome field. I keep a bale of plain old prairie hay available for roughage.

How would you recommend that I fix it? Lower the protein level in the feed? Less feed each day and more reliance on hay while the grass isn't growing?

How would you recommend that I fix it? Lower the protein level in the feed? Less feed each day and more reliance on hay while the grass isn't growing?
You said "They're on an 18% protein growing ration". For me, that is a high protein feed. Maybe reduce down to a 14% feed. Maybe even 12%. How did you decide on 18%?
I might feed a little feed to developing heifers in the winter only. If I do, they get about 3 to 4 pounds of 12 to 14% commodity feed per day. Sometimes no feed depending on how much grass and quality of hay is available. Still plenty big and good BCS when they breed and when they calve. I live in the south where we have more mud than cold.

You said "They're on an 18% protein growing ration". For me, that is a high protein feed. Maybe reduce down to a 14% feed. Maybe even 12%. How did you decide on 18%?
I might feed a little feed to developing heifers in the winter only. If I do, they get about 3 to 4 pounds of 12 to 14% commodity feed per day. Sometimes no feed depending on how much grass and quality of hay is available. Still plenty big and good BCS when they breed and when they calve. I live in the south where we have more mud than cold.
We have a local nutritionist that set me up a ration and the local feed mill mixes and delivers it. He told me that's what's best for weaned calves. He called it the "growing ration". Once they hit breeding age they switch to a different ration and it's 14% protein as fed, I believe.

I've never understood why a cow wont lift its dang tail to relieve itself. Drives me crazy seeing a cow with poop tail.

I've got one that's famous for doing it while laying down.
I think a cows fanny is the filthiest place on earth. A bulls penis must push so much crap inside. They must have a good self cleaning mechanism.

Ken

@TTBHG my calves are raised on 20% protein cubes. I don't creep feed but feed my herd year 'round. Verrrrry little in the warm/summer months and every other day, but enough to keep 'em coming and, primarily, for the calves. So they're completely used to the high protein when they're weaned - and completely bunk broke. But again, I always have bland prairie hay available for roughage. Similar to when they first start grazing the lush, spring grass. There's gonna be a mess. Personally, I wouldn't worry about the clumps on the tails too much if they otherwise look and act healthy.

TTBHG what kinda hay are they being fed?

We have a local nutritionist that set me up a ration and the local feed mill mixes and delivers it. He told me that's what's best for weaned calves. He called it the "growing ration". Once they hit breeding age they switch to a different ration and it's 14% protein as fed, I believe.
Talk to your nutritionist about testing your hay. That would take the guess work out of what they are eating. Once you have the results you and your nutritionist can adjust their ration to be more balanced. It might save you some money long term.

Latest posts