I want to learn more about nutrition

Help Support CattleToday:

You can buy 47.5% soybean meal for $450
No I can't. But I can buy 36% canola meal for $312 which is expensive because I'm sure I can get DDG's for a better price. Fairly irrelevant though since we were talking about licks. If they were using a mix wagon to feed it's a different story and licks would be an even worse investment.

No I can't. But I can buy 36% canola meal for $312 which is expensive because I'm sure I can get DDG's for a better price. Fairly irrelevant though since we were talking about licks. If they were using a mix wagon to feed it's a different story and licks would be an even worse investment.
Licks are always the most expensive way to supplement.

Has anyone used pea straw to supplement hay?
There are a lot of pea crops around here and is easy to find someone let you come behind them and bale it
A neighbour of mine swears by it for protein.
I was able to get a couple hundred of these this year for free and am trying it out. It seems to be going over well for now.
They go crazy for the remaining peas at the bottom.
They also seem to prefer it for bedding over the traditional wheat straw I normally use.

Is this feed daily?
I've been feeding it every second day, last winter I fed 3lbs a head a feeding this way. This winter I'm not feeding as much because I have better hay.

I did find it takes them longer to eat the 38% cubes then the 20% cubes and the cows would come to where I was putting hay out before finishing them. I adjusted a bit and would feed cubes before picking up hay to put out.

Has anyone used pea straw to supplement hay?
There are a lot of pea crops around here and is easy to find someone let you come behind them and bale it
A neighbour of mine swears by it for protein.
I was able to get a couple hundred of these this year for free and am trying it out. It seems to be going over well for now.
They go crazy for the remaining peas at the bottom.
They also seem to prefer it for bedding over the traditional wheat straw I normally use.
The only other time I've seen this mentioned is by saskdutchkid on youtube. They use it as part of their ration for their dairy...so there must be something to it.... if you go looking for it, check out his feeding videos.

Latest posts