Nutrition = +Results

Help Support CattleToday:

Coosh71

Reaction score
Im not an expert on nutrition in cattle operations by any means. However, in doing a lot of research in our grasses, soil, vaccinations etc the past 2 years and a little tweaking with mineral and feed, I believe we have really gotten on top of preparing our cows for breeding. We began by giving our cattle and bulls multimin90 (as per label), began more aggressively rotational grazing, better minerals/salt for our cattle. As a result our calving season this year has began with a bang. We began 4 days ago with a single calf (1st day of calving from input of bulls last year), and of about 2 hours ago have had our 11th calf with our birth weights going up an avg of 10lbs. Calves are very vibrant and energetic (even in the 0 temps in the mornings). Everyone's goals and overall operations are a lil different I know, but for us I believe we have found what will move us up a notch overall. Tightening calving windows like this with natural breeding is well worth the additional money spent on mineral/vaccines.

Coosh71 said:
Im not an expert on nutrition in cattle operations by any means. However, in doing a lot of research in our grasses, soil, vaccinations etc the past 2 years and a little tweaking with mineral and feed, I believe we have really gotten on top of preparing our cows for breeding. We began by giving our cattle and bulls multimin90 (as per label), began more aggressively rotational grazing, better minerals/salt for our cattle. As a result our calving season this year has began with a bang. We began 4 days ago with a single calf (1st day of calving from input of bulls last year), and of about 2 hours ago have had our 11th calf with our birth weights going up an avg of 10lbs. Calves are very vibrant and energetic (even in the 0 temps in the mornings). Everyone's goals and overall operations are a lil different I know, but for us I believe we have found what will move us up a notch overall. Tightening calving windows like this with natural breeding is well worth the additional money spent on mineral/vaccines.

Congratulations. Just shows that the little things ARE very important. :clap: :clap:

It's always good to hear when hard work pays off. Too many times people try to starve a profit out of a cowherd. Sounds like you did your homework and moved the needle!!

Great job! Congratulations. Detail, detail - pays off.
For years, we had our mineral special made. Through the years, this got tweaked, that got tweaked, employees changed, products changed. All of a sudden, like in two years time, nothing was getting bred AI. Knew we had a Selenium problem in herd, so went to Multimin90 prior to breeding season and switched to a manufactured good mineral product. It was like night and day. Got everything bred AI.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:
For years, we had our mineral special made. Through the years, this got tweaked, that got tweaked, employees changed, products changed. All of a sudden, like in two years time, nothing was getting bred AI. Knew we had a Selenium problem in herd, so went to Multimin90 prior to breeding season and switched to a manufactured good mineral product. It was like night and day. Got everything bred AI.

Well like I said I'm no expert, just put some faith in some things and it has sure paid off. Several more calves since I posted this. It was 60 today and all those calves were running around and chasing after each other. So much more energetic than years past. We had a good laugh.

Jeanne - Simme Valley said:

Have two cow/calf operations that boasted how much they saved not doing a good mineral program. My husband told them to let him know how that works come calving/breeding season. :tiphat:

Latest posts