Number of replacements to keep

Help Support CattleToday:

It really depends.
For us with around 55-60 head we are trying to get the numbers up to 70-75 head.
We look at the number of calves we have, how many cows must be shipped and how large of an area we have to keep them in. Average culling is normally 3-4 cows a year.
Our general rule of thumb was keeping back just 10 heifers, but since we are increasing our numbers we increased it to 12, but with our loss this spring we are planning on keeping back 15 total. It takes two years before these replacements calve.

Need to figure possible death loss from sickness or other health problems such as not breeding, poor gain or injury.
In two years time it is also possible to loose 10 or more cows that is why we go with this replacement plan.

To maintain a herd the way it is the going rate is 10-15%. More if you're trying to increase your numbers or introduce new genetics in your cow herd. It also depends on your herd's age and how many low producers or other problems you want to replace.

Depends on how many heifers you need to replace whatever you're culling. When cow prices are high, we cull a little deeper. When heifers were high about two years ago, we didn't keep any heifers except a few for kids to show.

I read somewhere a while back that you should keep 25% of your total cow herd back (100 cows - keep 25 heifers). I thought it was high, but when you keep in mind that some of these won't be around for their second calf for a variety of reasons and also the assumption that your genetics improving with every generation resulting in a higher culling rate.

Herefordcross":3m81ni9e said:
Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to what percentage of heifers to keep as replacements to keep a herd going?

0% cheaper to buy replacement bred heavies or 3 n 1's.
Retaining heifers means up keep of two cows that added nothing to the bottom line for two years each thats three calfs. Its another year before the dam produces any income and two years on the heifer plus the additional 8 months upkeep on the heifer before she is ready to breed.

I hadn't thought about the dam not contributing to the bottom line when you keep her heifer. We buy replacements and always have but never thought about that particular angle. Thanks Caustic for the heads up.

Herefordcross":3gwhw6ul said:
Does anyone have a rule of thumb as to what percentage of heifers to keep as replacements to keep a herd going?
rule of thumb for keeping heifers is 10%.trying to increase your herd keep 15%.but its cheaper to buy pairs or 3 in 1s.you lose 2 calves raising the heifers vs buying bred cows or pairs or 3 in 1s.

We don't run registereds - just commercial cows, but I do alot of research into the bulls we buy. When I'm looking at bulls, I'm looking for beef production, weaning weights, caracass quality ect. - not so much maternal siring capability; so I keep very few replacements, we have found it's more cost effective to buy bred 2nd or 3rd calf heifers that to keep our own back. 2 reasons - I don't have to trade out bulls near as often, and I get the opportunity to purchase better genetics to improve the overall quality of our herd. I'm more likely to keep a heifer calf off of one of the bred replacements I bought than a heifer calf sired by my own bull, unless one is just an outstanding individual. We run between 350 & 380 cow/calf pairs and last fall I held back just 5 heifer calves of my own. We'll see this fall how many cows get shipped after weaning and then we'll start looking at the sale catalogs for replacements this winter.
I like to let somebody else deal with all the calving problems that first calf heifers are prone to, I have a couple every year but I wouldn't want to mess with a large number of them.

I've been retaining 100% of the heifers in my registered herd. I like to give them all a chance. I would sell the bottom end if I could tell which ones they were without calving them out. The heifer calves I would of sold often end up making the top cows.

I then sell bred cows I decide aren't measuring up for one reason or another. I always tell the customer why I'm selling each cow and it's usually a minor enough reason it doesn't bother them any. I feel I've made good progress improving the herd doing this. I try to always buy good maternal bulls and every year the heifers are from a better set of cows.The demand for my females is growing every year also. This is just another way of doing things.

It really just depends on the end product you're after....Beef for us, hiefers/cows for Ned - everyone has a different goal - so there is no set answer to the question.

Latest posts