Nuisance Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeC

Reaction score
There has been much talk on here concerning dogs, strays - belonging to neighbors, etc., harrassing/killing cattle and calves.

This is a fax from my attorney concerning the matter:

"Any person who keeps a dog that has been known to kill livestock shall be liable for double the value of all stock killed or injured by such dog. In addition, such dogs may be treated as a common nuisance by Alabama law and, as such, may be justifiably killed by the owner of the livestock. Ala. Code §3-1-1."

That's all well and great but it doesn't do much good since you have to actually catch (see) the dog(s) killing the animal and you have to be able to prove it for the owner to be liable. Then more then likely the dog won't be wearing any type of identification, whose to say that was their dog, all they have to say is that it must be a stray, cause if wasn't theirs. We've gone through that, as well as other people near here that had 2 high dollar alpaca's killed. The best part is "may be justifiably killed by the owner of the livestock" - that part I live by.

sidney411":2t8jbg10 said:
That's all well and great but it doesn't do much good since you have to actually catch (see) the dog(s) killing the animal and you have to be able to prove it for the owner to be liable. Then more then likely the dog won't be wearing any type of identification, whose to say that was their dog, all they have to say is that it must be a stray, cause if wasn't theirs. We've gone through that, as well as other people near here that had 2 high dollar alpaca's killed. The best part is "may be justifiably killed by the owner of the livestock" - that part I live by.

I agree with the "may be" part. I expect the "double the value" is just thrown in there to scare any dog owners when confronted with such a situation. Finding an owner is definitely a problem with strays. People "put dogs out" on a gravel road not too far from me. THEY are the ones who should be shot!

We also have that problem here in Oregon, however (per the sherriff) the dogs must only threaten the livestock and we can shoot them. Most neighbors are great after only a warning- with a few exceptions. The coyotes are even more of a problem here.

Hard to get Blood out of a Turnip. Best thing to do is just exterminate them. Half the time they've been dumped out here in the Country.Always keep a Rifle in the truck. Throw them in a hole.

MikeC":zna2fd1c said:
sidney411":zna2fd1c said:

I agree with the "may be" part. I expect the "double the value" is just thrown in there to scare any dog owners when confronted with such a situation. Finding an owner is definitely a problem with strays. People "put dogs out" on a gravel road not too far from me. THEY are the ones who should be shot!

It absolutely astounds and angers me at the level of irresponsibility and cruelty some people display by dumping unwanted animals along the county roads. It's cruel to the animals and unfair to guy adjoining the road who has to deal with the problem. I agree that anyone caught dumping animals should be dealt with harshly.

so let me get this straight. your saying if you dont see dogs kill a calf you wont kill him. once a calf is dead its open season on dogs. so i reckon you just let dogs run though your pastures . but not round here if a calf is killed . any stays caught in pasture will be killed. no questions. scott

bigbull338":31806s8h said:
so let me get this straight. your saying if you dont see dogs kill a calf you wont kill him. once a calf is dead its open season on dogs. so i reckon you just let dogs run though your pastures . but not round here if a calf is killed . any stays caught in pasture will be killed. no questions. scott

Nope. Read it again. I said the opposite.

I was agreeing with you and taking it a step further.

I don't mind dogs crossing through the field provided I don't see them chasing the cows. If I found a dead calf no I would not automatically start shooting all dogs that came onto my property. I have two chocolate labs and they will get right into the herd and try to play with the cattle just as if they were dogs. I know what they are doing but to someone else that doesn't I'm sure they would think they might be harassing the cattle. Sure would hate to think someone shot my dogs just because one of them was trying to kiss their cow.

Actually i learned the hard way...now anything that looks like a canine gets the magic bullet... nothing mentioned to anyone afterwards either.... ppl can still get killed for killin another man dogs around here.

jgn":22aed3st said:
I don't mind dogs crossing through the field provided I don't see them chasing the cows. If I found a dead calf no I would not automatically start shooting all dogs that came onto my property. I have two chocolate labs and they will get right into the herd and try to play with the cattle just as if they were dogs. I know what they are doing but to someone else that doesn't I'm sure they would think they might be harassing the cattle. Sure would hate to think someone shot my dogs just because one of them was trying to kiss their cow.

I kill every dog that I catch on my place. Dog owners need to keep their dogs at home.

I agree with WORanch.. we don't allow any dogs to run on the place either. Learned that lesson the hard way.

The owner needs to keep his dogs at home.

medic brings up a good point when he says people can get killed for killing another persons dog. I had a neighbor who was going out to milk one morning and a guy was hiding in the barn and cut his throat because the guy thought my neighbor had shot his dog. It is not a good thing to shoot someone's dog and have them even suspect that you did it. I now have llamas in almost every pasture and just today while I was checking cattle, a strange dog came in and the male llama took off after it and it barely escaped through the fence. After lots of dog problems in the past, I am trying llamas---so far it is promising. There has been lots of good advice in this thread, just remember, if people suspect you killed their dog, in some areas you can expect your hay or barn or house burned or your safety to be in danger. You might get some compensation for a calf, you might also be out a whole lot more misery if you press it---very touchy situation here

stocky":2fc7ujoo said:
medic brings up a good point when he says people can get killed for killing another persons dog. I had a neighbor who was going out to milk one morning and a guy was hiding in the barn and cut his throat because the guy thought my neighbor had shot his dog. It is not a good thing to shoot someone's dog and have them even suspect that you did it. I now have llamas in almost every pasture and just today while I was checking cattle, a strange dog came in and the male llama took off after it and it barely escaped through the fence. After lots of dog problems in the past, I am trying llamas---so far it is promising. There has been lots of good advice in this thread, just remember, if people suspect you killed their dog, in some areas you can expect your hay or barn or house burned or your safety to be in danger. You might get some compensation for a calf, you might also be out a whole lot more misery if you press it---very touchy situation here
==========
stocky,
You make an excellent point...but,if a Llama had killed that dog the revenge would most likely have been the same.

How many Llamas are you running with the cows?

milesvb":jep4rmr7 said:
bigbull338":jep4rmr7 said:
theres no question .any dog killing livestock is a dead dog. scott

Once a calf is dead it's too late. Why give them the benefit of the doubt?

Next time one of your cows gets out and is in the neighbors garden, guess he has the right to shoot your cow. Same logic here, just making sure this is what you mean. Your neighbors garden may have the same value to him as your cow does to you.

If a dog is harming your livestock or attempting to harm your livestock, then euthanize it. I agree and will do the same. Indiscriminate shooting of dogs or other animals I believe is criminal behavior and irresponsible. I have lots of dogs they roam the same pastures as my cows and calves. My dogs generally help keep other dogs out. If my neighbor shoots one of my dogs for crossing his pasture, me and that neighbor are going to have a problem. Anyone who has livestock has had them get out. If not, then you're new at this and you're going to have them get out.

WORANCH":27m2qpek said:
jgn":27m2qpek said:

I kill every dog that I catch on my place. Dog owners need to keep their dogs at home.

Live by the sword,die by the sword. Better make sure them cows never get out too. Hope your neighbors don't feel the same way about your cows.