Nuisance Dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

El_Putzo":3mworyx8 said:
I guess I will just have to agree to disagree with all of you guys with the itchy trigger fingers, and be thankful that I don't have neighbors like you. Our neighborhood has only had 1 incident with a pack of stray town mutts. To us, these were obviously mutts that no one fed or took care of. That had no collars and ran in a pack of 4. They were mixed breeds. They had been seen in the neighborhood a couple of times, but never bothered anything, until the day they were chasing one of the neighbors yearling calves. He is a full time dairy farmer and usually carries a rifle in the truck/tractor with him. I guess he was lucky he caught them in the act. No harm was done to the calf, and 3 of the 4 dogs did not make it back to town. The thing was, to him this was obviously a pack of stray mutts.

I'm all for controlling your dogs (as I said, I keep mine penned or tied most of the time), but I still maintain that there is a difference between a couple of hunting dogs with collars roaming through, and a pack of mixed breed mutts with no collars. That's just the rule we follow: a maintained dog with a collar gets a free pass and a phone call. A mutt looking dog with no collar might get one free pass, but not a second. Yote's do not get a free pass either, as we consider them worthless, even though I don't believe they bother the livestock. JMO.

Well said

WORANCH":1wllgoku said:
SF":1wllgoku said:
WORANCH":1wllgoku said:
jgn":1wllgoku said:
I don't mind dogs crossing through the field provided I don't see them chasing the cows. If I found a dead calf no I would not automatically start shooting all dogs that came onto my property. I have two chocolate labs and they will get right into the herd and try to play with the cattle just as if they were dogs. I know what they are doing but to someone else that doesn't I'm sure they would think they might be harassing the cattle. Sure would hate to think someone shot my dogs just because one of them was trying to kiss their cow.

I kill every dog that I catch on my place. Dog owners need to keep their dogs at home.

Live by the sword,die by the sword. Better make sure them cows never get out too. Hope your neighbors don't feel the same way about your cows.

My neighbors raise real cattle ( not dwarfs ) so we shoot all dogs .

LOL
It's okay WORANCH.
Those are miniature's not dwarf's. There is a difference. A huge one. Think what you may. I refuse to argue with ignorance.
Just darn glad we're not neighbors. Neighbors in my area respect one another. We all know each other, we know each others livestock, dogs, and family's. We don't shoot each others livestock, dogs, or family's. We actually look out for one another and help one another. If one of my dogs were to kill a neighbors calf, I'd have no problem paying for the calf and I'd euthanize the dog. My dogs don't kill anything. They have been known to get out a time or two, usually from me leaving the gate open.
Hope you have a great day.

I refuse to argue with ignorance.

Name calling ? Your starting to show your true self

Neighbors in my area respect one another

I respect my neighbors , so I keep my dogs at home . They do the same

We don't shoot each others livestock, dogs, or family's

Are you accusing me of killing livestock and people ? :roll:

If one of my dogs were to kill a neighbors calf, I'd have no problem paying for the calf and I'd euthanize the dog.

This is what the dog owner said to me before I told him his dogs had killed a calf .

My dogs don't kill anything

And this is what he said after I told him.

Have a nice day ,and respect your neighbors keep your dogs at home.

sidney411":3dv4lsg9 said:
Thats funny cert! We don't have any Amish around here, but I would love to learn more about their way of life. To me a horse is a whole different problem then a dog - not the same sort of threat. I bet that was sure nice having all those fresh vegies though.

It's the same principle though. I don't mean to single you out, Sidney, but you provided a golden opportunity. There are a lot of responsible dog owner's out there who try very hard to keep their dog's penned. No matter how hard one tries, dog's escape. Most of those dog's wouldn't hurt a fly, but just because they have escaped and their owner isn't aware of it, they will be shot for wandering onto someone else's property? Bullshit! There are other method's. We have a stray dog wandering around on our property, Dad puts a bullet into the ground under, or in close proximity thereof, their belly. That dog hightails it home and usually isn't seen again. Not all dogs are calf killers or cattle runners. I know it's a very fine line here, but I don't believe in killing dogs just because they are wandering the property.

WORANCH":2ta3yq0a said:
I refuse to argue with ignorance.

Name calling ? Your starting to show your true self

I wasn't name calling. Ignorance is when one lacks knowledge on a given topic. You were referring to my cattle as dwarf's. They are miniatures and there is a difference. Dwarfism is a genetic defect. Our miniatures are dwarfism free. I know you are an intelligent person and would never make a sarcastic comments, therefore you are simply ignorant on the subject of my cattle. Not an insult or name calling. If you were offended, I apologize.

Neighbors in my area respect one another

I respect my neighbors , so I keep my dogs at home . They do the same

I hope none of your dogs ever get loose and wander onto someone's property who would shoot them indescriminately.

We don't shoot each others livestock, dogs, or family's

Are you accusing me of killing livestock and people ? :roll:

Absolutely not. Don't know you. Wouldn't accuse you of anyting. I was referring to my neighbors and myself. You will note that I used the word "We".

If one of my dogs were to kill a neighbors calf, I'd have no problem paying for the calf and I'd euthanize the dog.

This is what the dog owner said to me before I told him his dogs had killed a calf .

Sorry you had a bad experience. It is always painful to experience a loss of any kind.

My dogs don't kill anything

And this is what he said after I told him.

Have a nice day ,and respect your neighbors keep your dogs at home.

Can't speak for the person you are referencing, but my dogs won't kill a calf or much of anything else. Four of my dogs range in size from 5 pounds to 25 pounds. One is a large Shepherd weighing about 110 pounds, however he has arthritis and just lays on the front step most of the time.

I enjoy your posts and your opinions Woranch. Sorry if I offended you. Not my intention. Looks like we just disagree on this subject and that is okay.

Have a nice evening

Greg