Calf attacked by dogs

Help Support CattleToday:

We liked the llama ok, neat proud acting animal. It was so different than any other animal I had ever had that it seemed strange to me and was always a little nervous around him. They need there hooves trimmed and need shearing.
We had a male and female Great Pyrenees pair and raised a couple litters of pups. The pair of dogs that we had were pretty good around people but the female was a little standoffish. I kept a male pup out of their last litter and he was as gentle as a lamb with us and would stand for hours to be petted if we would. If anybody else came around it was like a switch turned on and he was a flat out monster, growling like a chainsaw and foaming at the mouth. He stayed the barn at night. He earned a reputation around and one night I heard a lot of barking from him and my Border Collie, that was just as temperamental as him. I figured they had a raccoon cornered in the barn. The next morning I found a big stick laying just inside the gate in front of the barn. I guessed that somebody tried to get in the barn and the dogs kept them out.
Sounds like some great guard dogs.

We used to keep my brother's pitbull every time the delivery man would come he would run to the end of his chain bark a little. The delivery man was hilarious he would throw the packages, take off running, and jump in his truck. 🤣😅 I wish I had it on video. I told him, he was a guard dog if he wasn't barking a little he wouldn't be worth a 🤬. The dog was a big baby but he let you know if somebody or animal around. Definitely understand the delivery man not knowing the dog. Plus he may have a fear for dogs with his job I could see that. I fear cats I'd run like that from a cat. 🏃🏽‍♀️😂

I'm going to try and find a donkey to prevent future problems and may install a gun rack on my tractor lol

True, we lost a calf due to the Jack last July. Have a post somewhere on here from then. The janny runs from EVERYTHING! Useless! Get a dog if you have issues.
Training a puppy at this time...

Have a neighbor who won't close his gate even though my son helped him build a fence to contain his dogs. My son sent him a video of a heifer who had her nostrils mangled, and who subsequently died. They were horrified and sad, but it didn't change their behavior. Lazy, relocated from the city pot-growers are clueless. Then one of their friends' dogs went after my grandson. That was it. My son made it clear that any dog on our property was going to be dead. They have taken him seriously it seems. They are actually pretty sweet dogs, but they are labs and they flush our cows through fences.

Latest posts