now what?

Help Support CattleToday:

Skaredykat

Reaction score
Ok she was dehorned earlier today. But...the vet didnt answer any of my questions fully. Do i need to cover the wounds? is there any type of medicine i should apply to prevent infection? All he said was put pine tar on it to keep away the flies but none of the feed store around me or any home depot types store carry it. I just want to make sure im doing this the right way. I would of asked sooner but i was expecting the vet to answer my questions. Also should i wash off the blood or wait until its more healed so water wont get into the holes? Or should i just leave it alone because its will heal naturally. Ive never had a calf dehorned if you can tell, so i have no idea what to expect out of this. Any tips or advice would be aprecciated.Thanks in advance! Kim

First, I would call the vet back and ask him if he has any pine tar that you can have or some other kind offly repellent. Then start looking around for another vet for the next time that you need him.

Are the sinuses open (holes into skull)? If they are just a pinprick, I'd use a sterile instrument to break the fibrous tissue to create a bigger hole. If not, don't. I'll use alluspray to protect from infection, KRS for flies and maggots. Infection is treated systemically and topically. The blood will attract flies, but washing the head can create infection where there wasn't going to be one.

I've never heard of pine tar for dehorning, but heck, I've only been a vet for 18 or so years....

Good Luck
V

Skaredykat":vbgxckgj said:
Ok she was dehorned earlier today. But...the vet didnt answer any of my questions fully. Do i need to cover the wounds? is there any type of medicine i should apply to prevent infection? All he said was put pine tar on it to keep away the flies but none of the feed store around me or any home depot types store carry it. I just want to make sure im doing this the right way. I would of asked sooner but i was expecting the vet to answer my questions. Also should i wash off the blood or wait until its more healed so water wont get into the holes? Or should i just leave it alone because its will heal naturally. Ive never had a calf dehorned if you can tell, so i have no idea what to expect out of this. Any tips or advice would be aprecciated.Thanks in advance! Kim

Keep the wounds dry a few days there is a spray you can use. Used to spray the wounds on my sons show calves. If I can get in touch with him
( in USAF) I'll post the name. This was good stuff kept the flies off and helped the wounds to heal faster. The pine tar works also I would think your local Ace hardware would have it since your feed store doesn't carry it.

Vicki
You're probaly to young to know about pine tar.
It will keep the flies away. It stinks so much that the flies can't stand
the smell so they stay. We used it on castarated calves also. Lysol to disinfext and pine tar to keep the flies away. Never had any problems.