Not neccessarrily a cow question but..........

Help Support CattleToday:

rc

Reaction score
This is not entirely a cattle question but pertains a little I guess. Has any one had excessive problems with pollen and algae in thier stock ponds this year and what can you put in to help?

We use a blue/green dye called "Aquashade" (or equivalent) available from TSC & others. Also, use a swimming pool sceine and skim off floating algae by hand. Drain & wash out stock tanks about once a month if they get bad. Algae is like fireants...can't eliminate, just control it the best you can.

This came up a month or so back, maybe you could do a search and find it. Otherwise, Rye straw works I've been told, but I'm not sure how you go about spreading it or anything.

A few years back I used copper sulfate applied behind a trolling motor and john boat. I picked it up at a feed store. It worked well but I can't remember the application rate. Too much supposedly contaminates pond sediment and killing too much algae will deplete oxygen levels and kill fish. Your extension agent probably has information on pond management.

An "Old Timers" trick is put crushed walnut husks in a toesack. Tie a brick to it and sink it in the stock tank (pond). Be careful not to use too much because it also take the oxygen out of the water, and it will kill your catfish.

Our small tanks (approx 200'diameter) we used 1/4 of a sack of husks and still caught fish :)

Something my Dad used to do was to throw 1 or two bales of good Alfalfa hay into the pond. Believe it or not it worked well for him.

i just suck it up and buy some grass carp about every 12-15 years. they work really well for us. got dad some for father's day yesterday.

Any straw will work but I heard that barley straw works best , it also works best if you can keep it floating at or just below the surface of the water. I have a fellow that gets some from me and Igave him some plastic mesh cabbage bags to put in , he ties them off so they they dont sink to the bottom. he says it helps , he's been coming back about three years now, this just for a small fish pond in his backyard, I don't know how it would work or how much you would need in a big pond.

Buy a product called Cutrine Plus. This stuff works like magic. I applied the liquid to my 1/4 acre pond and within a week it was all gone :lol: !!

Yeah, I have the pond stocked with Channel and Blue Catfish. The product states that it's safe for all fish and livestock to drink. I hadn't had a problem with any of the fish ot cattle drinking out of this pond.

One thing I just remembered. If your pond is completely covered with Algae then I would use small doses of this product to kill some at time.
Dead algae falls to the bottom and decomposes. Too much of this can rob your fish of Oxygen.

TXFishing

In Florida we are only allowed to use triploid grass carp so that reproduction to muscle out native fish is not a problem. They are provided at no charge by the water hyacinth control folks to ponds that meet criteria of being able to contain the fish and keep them out of other waterways. One put in about 6 years ago is now about 40" long. Because carp eat less % of their body weight as they get bigger, every few years they drop a few more in the pond for us. They also do water testing for dissolved oxygen and general pond health every 6 months or so, all for no charge as part of their overall mandate. Great program. Carp have kept the algae and weeds well in check so we have a crystal clear pond despite cattle bathing. This has also made it a splendid fishing hole for bass and sunfish which we stocked in about 5 years ago once the pond crud cleared.

cmfiddler":3aqpapnh said:
In Florida we are only allowed to use triploid grass carp so that reproduction to muscle out native fish is not a problem. They are provided at no charge by the water hyacinth control folks to ponds that meet criteria of being able to contain the fish and keep them out of other waterways. One put in about 6 years ago is now about 40" long. Because carp eat less % of their body weight as they get bigger, every few years they drop a few more in the pond for us. They also do water testing for dissolved oxygen and general pond health every 6 months or so, all for no charge as part of their overall mandate. Great program. Carp have kept the algae and weeds well in check so we have a crystal clear pond despite cattle bathing. This has also made it a splendid fishing hole for bass and sunfish which we stocked in about 5 years ago once the pond crud cleared.
Will they work with Duck Weed also ?

txfishing":f7fx5ilj said:
Buy a product called Cutrine Plus. This stuff works like magic. I applied the liquid to my 1/4 acre pond and within a week it was all gone :lol: !!
My pond is coverd with what someone called Duck Weed is that the same Algae and where do you fine Cutrine Plus?

tg":22c55kst said:
txfishing":22c55kst said:
My pond is coverd with what someone called Duck Weed is that the same Algae and where do you fine Cutrine Plus?

Do a search for "cutrine weeds pond" and there will be a bunch of plaes that come up. We get ours from aguacide company. http://www.killlakeweeds.com/

dun

Latest posts