Grass and hay ONLY!
I suspect they OD on the minerals.
SL

Sir Loin":2db4thwl said:
angus9259

Re:
THAT'S ALL THEY ARE ON - AND MINERAL.

Hello! HI!!! HOW ARE YOU??

Take them off the minerals!!! WHY? IF THEY WERE OFF THE MINERAL (WHICH THEY ARE ALWAYS ON) THEN YOU'D COMPLAIN I DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD MINERAL PROGRAM!!

Grass and hay ONLY!
I suspect they OD on the minerals.
SL

angus9259
Re:
Take them off the minerals!!! WHY? IF THEY WERE OFF THE MINERAL (WHICH THEY ARE ALWAYS ON) THEN YOU'D COMPLAIN I DIDN'T HAVE A GOOD MINERAL PROGRAM!!
Not me! You must have me confused with that slick mineral salesman who is making a fortune off of you while you kill your own cattle.

Read what you have stated.
Skin and bones. And it happened fast.
I have a good (at least expensive) mineral program.
good mineral program
they would lie around the water trough and had a crusty snot on their noses.

With those clues and the fact that, other then grass and hay, minerals are the only thing they are getting should tell you something.
Why do you think they "lie around the water trough "?

How long have you been on this "expensive mineral program"?

How are you feeding the minerals?
Granulated or blocks?
SL

Sir Loin":341siy66 said:
angus9259
Re:
Not me! You must have me confused with that slick mineral salesman who is making a fortune off of you while you kill your own cattle.

Read what you have stated.
Skin and bones. And it happened fast.
I have a good (at least expensive) mineral program.
good mineral program
they would lie around the water trough and had a crusty snot on their noses.

With those clues and the fact that, other then grass and hay, minerals are the only thing they are getting should tell you something.
Why do you think they "lie around the water trough "?

How long have you been on this "expensive mineral program"?

How are you feeding the minerals?
Granulated or blocks?
SL

i wrote that not angus9259

Angus, maybe besides the fecal sample you should get a blood sample done too just to see if SL is indeed correct on his hunch, or if there's something else going around that is causing you animals to go down so fast.

At first I was thinking Johnes or even BVD but my gut tells me it's not either...

IluvABbeef":u8r2hud0 said:
Angus, maybe besides the fecal sample you should get a blood sample done too just to see if SL is indeed correct on his hunch, or if there's something else going around that is causing you animals to go down so fast.

At first I was thinking Johnes or even BVD but my gut tells me it's not either...

Johnes - my entire herd has been Johnes tested free under a Michigan State program. I drew blood on the cow for a second look at Johnes on her - but, as I said, in the meantime, off pasture, the diarrhea's cleared up.

BVD - always possible - everything's been double vaccinated - but that's no guarantee. Everything tested BVD PI free (MI State ear notch).

The cow's diarrhea cleared up (in about 3 days) when I took her off pasture and put her on hay - same mineral on pasture or hay. Her calf is looking better now too though she's still thin. She's the only cow that's gone gaunt. I have 3 bulls out of 13 that have gone gaunt. The bulls were in a field with acorns and lots of grass. They're off that field now (wondering if acorns were the issue) and on pasture and soft 3rd cutting grass/alfalfa. They're looking better now as well.

Vet's opinion - "there's a lot of crazy stuff happening in pastures right now as a result of our weather, dryness then rain, growth spurts, etc . . . so some may just be getting slugs of different things including toxic weeds, acorns, and just general stress of weather conditions and calving and some are just "off" at the moment - stuff that day in day out may not bother them is. Keep an eye on it - watch for regression" How Dunn would say "benign neglect".

Appreciate all the thoughts though.

cross_7":36t8m3cn said:
i know you stated no diseae, so no chance of bvd ?

Always a chance. The fact that it's hitting a couple might suggest that - except that the cow that went down hill and the bulls that went down hill are pastures apart. All double vaccinated, but that's no guarantee.

Mineral - mineralyx ADE tubs by crystalyx. I move them to ionolyx containing bovatec in the fall as their calves come on and the pasture thins - I've had coccidiosis problems in the past. I fully assumed that's what it was again, but nothing in the stool (per vet) and no blood in the diarrhea.

Not to take sides but I did have a 500 lb. steer calf that mysteriously lost condition and had runny diahrea. I tried a number of treatments for any and all conditions that would/could be causing one or both of these problems. I took him completley off of pellets and mineral and all of a sudden his energy perks up as well as his appetite. The following week I eased him back onto 1 lb. cracked corn in morning and eveing along with 3cc of ProBiotics in the morning ration. It has been a month to 6 week ordeal but I am thinking about returning him to the pasture with the other weaned steers. Good luck!

Latest posts