Not been around much

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
Husband had congestive heart failure & rheumatoid arthritis. He got progressively worse until all he could do was drive his utility vehicle and fill water tanks this summer. It tore him up that he had to get me to fold up a sickle bar mower he used in June. He parked it, and I didn't have the heart to take it out to clip pastures. He went to the hospital 3 weeks ago, and our son and I went against his desires and we started 2nd cutting hay. It was delayed due to rain but we're moving right along. The first field I cut, I went to the hospital and told him I did it. His first words, "what did you break", me -"nothing", second words, "how much did you leave?", me -"nothing", then I thought again and told him, "except the corners, you know I don't do good corners". I had to let him keep some pride in his ability to farm. And he proceeded to tell me how to swing the tractor and mower to get the corners, and I pretended to listen figuring I'd get it better with practice. I thought about taking the old sickle bar out and cleaning up some corners before he came home, but didn't have to.

In the end, we think the new arthritis medicine is what killed him. Xeljanz carries warnings about killing white blood cells, and his immune system was destroyed. Also warnings about working in dust, dirt, animal feces, our area of the states, etc. He felt better, until he got really ill. He passed away 2 weeks ago, July 27, very peacefully, like a tractor running out of gas, and that fast. pleaded with him to hang around just a few more minutes for our daughter to get there. She needed to say goodbye one more time. I like to think he heard her.

So things are going on like before, only different. We had set a path this spring to downsize a bit to what I could handle without his help, we just figured he'd still be around to enjoy it together. He was only 64.

So sorry for your loss. May God's peace be with you in this trying time and the coming days. It sounds like you and your son are carrying on the legacy he left behind on the farm.

I am so sorry to read about your loss. 64 is much too young. You are very brave to do all that you have done. I know your husband was really proud. Sorry your daughter did not get there to say goodbye. The same thing happened to my daughter when her grandmother passed away in May. She tried so hard to get there, as she had to fly into Atlanta from New York and then drive over three hours to get here. She missed her by a few minutes, but we believe Mama knew she was there.
I see you are from Ohio. My daughter did a clinical pharmacy residency at Cleveland Clinic in 2007- 2008. We sent up to Shaker Heights many times to see her. Ohio was a wonderful place to visit. I never shall forget how nice the people were. We have many happy memories of our visits to your state.
Again, let me say how sorry I am for your loss. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

My condolences for you and the rest of the the family, really sorry to hear it. It sounded peaceful at least. Hope you have the help you need to do what needs doing too.

My condolences to you and your family Chris. My mother passed away at 67 after battling diabetes for years. Had to amputate part of her leg a few years before that took a lot out of her.

Our thoughts and prayers go out to you.
I am sure that there is a legacy, and some great family stories, that will now pass down through the generations. I often take the hard road with that in mind.
All the best from Steve and Sue

I am so very sorry for your loss Chris. It is always hard to loose someone, but extra hard when they are so young.
My dad was also your husbands age when we lost him. They want to get out and work, but their bodies just won't let them.
I am glad that he went peacefully. I pray that you and your family will also have peace.

Latest posts