North Korea

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Imagine... millions of misguided, indoctrinated souls believing a mere mortal can change the weather :shock:

alisonb":fachtevh said:
Imagine... millions of misguided, indoctrinated souls believing a mere mortal can change the weather :shock:

alison, in my past life I spent some 18 months running high risk recon patrols along the DMZ. You would not believe half of the things that I saw and learned about what the NK's do to their own people. That was over 20 years ago and I know that some of it is still classified though I am not sure what has been released. To be on the safe side I will let folks do their own research on that. I have a special burning hatred in my heart for the NK government and a soft spot for the people under it's thumb. I hope that one of these days they will know what freedom is.

HOSS":a2n571yt said:
alisonb":a2n571yt said:

alison, in my past life I spent some 18 months running high risk recon patrols along the DMZ. You would not believe half of the things that I saw and learned about what the NK's do to their own people. That was over 20 years ago and I know that some of it is still classified though I am not sure what has been released. To be on the safe side I will let folks do their own research on that. I have a special burning hatred in my heart for the NK government and a soft spot for the people under it's thumb. I hope that one of these days they will know what freedom is.

What a small world Hoss. Done some of that recon stuff around PMJ back in the 60's.I know exactly what you saw just a little earlier in years.And by the way around the dmz it's gotta be the coldest place in the world in the winter. :nod:

Cal

Cal

Calman":16ykpmfy said:
HOSS":16ykpmfy said:
alisonb":16ykpmfy said:

What a small world Hoss. Done some of that recon stuff around PMJ back in the 60's.I know exactly what you saw just a little earlier in years.And by the way around the dmz it's gotta be the coldest place in the world in the winter. :nod:

Cal

Cal

Cal I knew a fella who was in that battle at some famous Reservoir during the Korean war and he told me he was so cold he prayed for someone to shoot him and let him go to he[[ just so he could warm up.

My grandfather was there too Cal. He didnt talk much about it but what he did say wasnt good. He got out early after eating the steering wheel of a jeep. They took fire and went off road trying to evade. He had a scar 4 inches either side of his mouth from that steering wheel

Calman":2fm0jex2 said:
HOSS":2fm0jex2 said:
alisonb":2fm0jex2 said:

Cal

It is the coldest in the winter and blazing hot in the summer. Dusty, muddy and it stinks to high heaven around those nasty kimche pots. Many of our missions were to locate and laser paint SAM launchers. Very dangerous work. Getting caught meant you were never heard from again. We had some close calls. The laser would mark the coordinates of the SAM sites and uplink them to satellite which would feed the computers on the friendly side re-aligning the artillery and rockets set up to counter the SAM's. The NK's would move the SAMs around to counter that and we had to go look for them all over again. We would paint targets of opportunity as well. Anything of military value. It sounds high tec but that was 20 years ago................................no telling what we have now.

Well Hoss and Cal, glad you are around to tell the tale. I wonder how many others have just disappeared :shock: .

Ryder":3izj5bz7 said:
alisonb":3izj5bz7 said:
Huh? :???:
Ryder - They are taught at an early age that their 'ruler' is God or God's son as in the case of the now deceased Kim Jong il. He was suppose ably able to change the weather with his moods. Quite obviously Christians are taboo and even having possession of a bible could mean a death sentence. As Hoss says he hopes one day the people will know freedom, let's hope so. It was pitiful watching millions of people sobbing and mourning the death of a tyrant.

alisonb":1i0b43q5 said:
Well Hoss and Cal, glad you are around to tell the tale. I wonder how many others have just disappeared :shock: .

Ryder":1i0b43q5 said:
alisonb":1i0b43q5 said:
Huh? :???:
Ryder - They are taught at an early age that their 'ruler' is God or God's son as in the case of the now deceased Kim Jong il. He was suppose ably able to change the weather with his moods. Quite obviously Christians are taboo and even having possession of a bible could mean a death sentence. As Hoss says he hopes one day the people will know freedom, let's hope so. It was pitiful watching millions of people sobbing and mourning the death of a tyrant.
Thanks for the explanation. I knew they put great store in "Dear Leader" but I didn't know they actually thought of him as diety.
How good we have got it in the USA. Of course we are not a Christian nation anymore. Our great leader said so.
:mad:

It is the coldest in the winter and blazing hot in the summer. Dusty, muddy and it stinks to high heaven around those nasty kimche pots. Many of our missions were to locate and laser paint SAM launchers. Very dangerous work. Getting caught meant you were never heard from again. We had some close calls. The laser would mark the coordinates of the SAM sites and uplink them to satellite which would feed the computers on the friendly side re-aligning the artillery and rockets set up to counter the SAM's. The NK's would move the SAMs around to counter that and we had to go look for them all over again. We would paint targets of opportunity as well. Anything of military value. It sounds high tec but that was 20 years ago................................no telling what we have now.[/quote]

We didn't even have the toys y'all had and I can only imagine what they got now.
I was there about 7 yrs after the korean conflict ended.Lot's of skirmishes went on on the dmz but none ever were reported to the news media,and I'd say there still happining. A round finding it's way across the dmz was a common thing.
And that kimshi pot smell was hard to take.I do remember though after being over there for the first month or so even slanted eyes started looking pretty good. :nod:

Cal

Calman":1e83rkqb said:
It is the coldest in the winter and blazing hot in the summer. Dusty, muddy and it stinks to high heaven around those nasty kimche pots. Many of our missions were to locate and laser paint SAM launchers. Very dangerous work. Getting caught meant you were never heard from again. We had some close calls. The laser would mark the coordinates of the SAM sites and uplink them to satellite which would feed the computers on the friendly side re-aligning the artillery and rockets set up to counter the SAM's. The NK's would move the SAMs around to counter that and we had to go look for them all over again. We would paint targets of opportunity as well. Anything of military value. It sounds high tec but that was 20 years ago................................no telling what we have now.

We didn't even have the toys y'all had and I can only imagine what they got now.
I was there about 7 yrs after the korean conflict ended.Lot's of skirmishes went on on the dmz but none ever were reported to the news media,and I'd say there still happining. A round finding it's way across the dmz was a common thing.
And that kimshi pot smell was hard to take.I do remember though after being over there for the first month or so even slanted eyes started looking pretty good. :nod:

Cal[/quote]

Cal,

I was there in 88 and 89 when Americans were still on the "Z" with active patrols. It was turned over to the ROK's completely in 91 I think. Yes small skirmishes and "snatches" were a common thing just not reported. I was told that since the Korean conflict truce began that 1,500 GI's had been killed along the DMZ. It happened while I was there. We found an infil tunnel that the NK's had built complete with electricity and a small rail car system. An American officer and a ROK officer were killed by an explosive device set by the NK's even though we warned them the tunnel was not secure. We exchanged fire with the NK's when we entered it from the southern end.

The PMJ is what we called the JSA (Joint Security Area). The last patrol I made was a long the 4k stretch leading up to it. Most of my patrols were with 8 man hunter / killer teams inside the Z and both sides regularly crossed the MLD which is where you are apt to dissapear. Getting snatched was a real threat. We did our share of snatching NK's when we caught them on our side of the MLD. We would turn them over to the ROK's for interrogation..............their methods make waterboarding feel like a Hawiian vacation. We mostly stayed in the more rural areas with the ROK's. We trained them on certain techniques and equipment when accompanying their patrols. The average leg troop in Korea on the Z pulled 15 missions in his deployment. We were a little different. One of our guys had 350+ missions. I had almost 100 in 18 months. The average guy spent a 75 day stint on the Z before rotating off.

Yes after a couple of months in-country those Korean girls began to look like super-models :mrgreen: As with most Asian women they are beautiful and still look 18 when they are 35 but all of a sudden they go from looking 18 to 65 overnight................I never understood how that happened. :eek:

In the mountains around the DMZ the tempetures would drop to 30 degrees below 0 and high winds.
Makes me cold right now just remembering it.
There we're 5300 reported frostbite casualties in the korean war.
Those poor men in the Korean war didn't have the facilities to get warm as we did in the 60's.

Cal

Latest posts