Normande Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus

Reaction score
Anyone still running these normande cattle nowadays? How you feels about crossbreeding them to a black simmental bull?

The "dairy" Normande are popular in parts of Wisconsin. Seem to make a good cross on Jersey based herds.
There is a guy north of Hutchinson who sells "beef" Normande bulls. Claims they make a black baldy when crossed with BA.
What are you trying to do?

Stocker Steve":10l871yq said:
The "dairy" Normande are popular in parts of Wisconsin. Seem to make a good cross on Jersey based herds.
There is a guy north of Hutchinson who sells "beef" Normande bulls. Claims they make a black baldy when crossed with BA.
What are you trying to do?
We raised beef type Normande in the past when I was young kid and would like to go back to them for old sakes. I was assuming that if you bred these cows to a solid black bull, he should knock off most spots in the calves.

The Normande is considered a dual purpose animal. In France they even have thier own beef label for Normande Beef.

They do have their own registry, the North American Normande Association. They do not do any performance testing or EPDs, but they are some nice cattle.

We know of another person that has a bull that they are crossing on beef cattle and getting some real nice calves. I think that the thing to watch for would be some bulls that are not real high on milk and a person should get along OK.

If you go to our website, and to the bull listing page we have a link there to some a Normande breeder. She has sold some bulls that have gone into beef herds. http://www.dairycattleregistry.com

Stocker Steve":2lvfpj8a said:
Simi x Normande sounds like too much milk unless you have a grass based no grain dairy.
Maybe a SimAngus or just regular Angus? I am try to avoid dairy type ones at all costs. There's not much data on Normande cattle at all.

Several Normande bulls in the Genex 'Added Attractions' catalog- at least two might fit the beef or dual purpose category.

Taurus":38l6ndg3 said:
We raised beef type Normande in the past when I was young kid and would like to go back to them for old sakes. I was assuming that if you bred these cows to a solid black bull, he should knock off most spots in the calves.

Not sure that you would get spots with a angus x Normande F1.

I had a small herd of Normande Cows 25 years ago about 20 head. They were good milking motherly cows and were very gentle except for one, and wow she was bad. I used a Black Angus bull and still got some spots but they grew faster than any other combo of cattle I have had since. I was very impressed but it was a fluke to find them as they are rare at least in my part of the country. I had a colorful herd for a few years, would love to have a few now just for old times sake.

Flatbroke":2qyjgc7v said:
I had a small herd of Normande Cows 25 years ago about 20 head. They were good milking motherly cows and were very gentle except for one, and wow she was bad. I used a Black Angus bull and still got some spots but they grew faster than any other combo of cattle I have had since.

How well did the cows winter?

Stocker Steve":1w7xn627 said:
Flatbroke":1w7xn627 said:
I had a small herd of Normande Cows 25 years ago about 20 head. They were good milking motherly cows and were very gentle except for one, and wow she was bad. I used a Black Angus bull and still got some spots but they grew faster than any other combo of cattle I have had since.

How well did the cows winter?
Its been so long time ago when I had them, but they're no different than an average beef cow when it comes to winters.

redcowsrule33":1zy9p12v said:
The North American Normande Breeders association is based in Wisconsin and has quite a few breeders in MN & WI.

http://www.normandeassociation.com/index.html

I know one of the guys on the board of directors quite well, he is right near the MN/WI border and has raised the beef Normandes for years. Always enjoyed working with his cows.
I'm actually surprised that there are few breeders near me. Time to checking out their stock and see if they have ones that can meet my criteria.

Latest posts