I have been lurking here for several months, and am impressed
with the vast knowledge on this forum.
I have had cows for several years and have decided it is
time to expand my herd. I saved a very nice heifer calf to
raise and breed, she had a calf April 29. My question is, she
just showed the first signs of heat this morning, from what I
have read normal return to heat is 30 to 60 days. Is this
something I should be concerned about since it has been 90+
days or is it normal for a first calf cow?

Thank you for your advice,
Toby

possumranch":1925750a said:
Hi everybody,

I have been lurking here for several months, and am impressed
with the vast knowledge on this forum.
I have had cows for several years and have decided it is
time to expand my herd. I saved a very nice heifer calf to
raise and breed, she had a calf April 29. My question is, she
just showed the first signs of heat this morning, from what I
have read normal return to heat is 30 to 60 days. Is this
something I should be concerned about since it has been 90+
days or is it normal for a first calf cow?

Thank you for your advice,
Toby

i have found that many times it takes a heifer a little longer to breed back... the condition she is in at calving is a significant factor for any cow especially heifers on how quick they breed back.

if she were mine, i wouldnt worry about it being 90 days.. that will still give you a calf in just over a year. what she does from then on will determine what you do with her.

jmo

jt

How is your mineral program? I've found that has a lot to do with a lot of things.

Thank you jt. If I understand you correctly, how she cycles
and breeds back after the second calf is a better measure
of a cow than this first time.
Hi certherbeef, I feed decent alfalfa/grass hay because my
pasture runs alittle short some times I also feed a little grain
6lbs/day per cow with beanmeal and trace minerals, they also
have access to salt block with trace mineral. Is there a lack
of something specific you had in mind?

Thank you both for your replies

possumranch":14nd1wfl said:
Thank you jt. If I understand you correctly, how she cycles
and breeds back after the second calf is a better measure
of a cow than this first time.
Hi certherbeef, I feed decent alfalfa/grass hay because my

thats my approach.. i have had heifers calve the 2nd time in 14 months but they moved up a month on each of their next 2 calves..

imo trace mineral blocks are not very good.. put out loose minerals. there is not much mineral in a trace mineral block.. it is about 97% or so salt.

good luck

jt

My mineral is high mag from just before calving till the last cow is bred. We are also selinium deficient in this area. I give BoSe shots to remidy that problem.

Did your heifer have any problems calving? Dystocia will cause them to come back in slower too. But Jt is right, sometimes heifers are a little slower. If she settles...no worries.

No trouble calving at all, has kept good body condition and
milks very well. 3 month old calf weighed 285 a week ago.
Thank you for your advice and putting first heifer jitters to
rest.

Thank you,
Toby

possumranch":1hv13trz said:
because my

I would call 6 pounds/day per cow a lot. Course I'm a tightwad. 3 months is not out of the question on a heifer. I'd perfer less.

I would think that with a good quality alfalfa/grass and mineral suppliment and six pounds of grain your cows would be getting pretty fat...I agree with the others, not to worry about a late cycle on a first calf heifer...what cycle is she on now or have you rebred her?
Dave Mc

I made a big mathmatical mistake. I don't know why I was
thinking six pounds, it is more like two pounds, just enough
to get them all to the barn every evening so I can look at them.
I don't " believe" they are fat I would guess they are between
BC five or six, but I'm far from being an expert judge.
Hi Susie David, She was bred yesterday, the bull has been in
with the cows for quite some time. I had read they would
start cycling again 30 to 60 days after calving and figured
I had missed her cycle for some reason or another. I was just
concerned about it being 90 days. I'm sure she was bred yes-
terday, the bull was on her when I got home from work and she was walking around after supper with her tail stuck almost straight out. Thank you for your reply.

Toby

Toby, the hardest cow to get to breed is a coming second calf heifer. You get this whipped and you will be doing great. One thing we do, if you keep your own replacements, is only give the heifers 60 days to breed (assuming you are giving them everything they need). Some guys do 45. We used to gve them longer than the cows, maybe 90 days, because we wanted to get as many bred as possible, but I like this better. What a fellow is trying to do is to select the heifers that not only are able to conceive, but are going to get it done quick. I really seems to come back and help out getting them to breed the next time. Don't cut it too much, you just want to eliminate a few of the stragglers at the end. Additionally, you might want to give those first calf heifers a little more time to breed. Up to you.

Dan Hanrahan

dph":2shihj91 said:
Toby, the hardest cow to get to breed is a coming second calf heifer. You get this whipped and you will be doing great. One thing we do, if you keep your own replacements, is only give the heifers 60 days to breed (assuming you are giving them everything they need). Some guys do 45. We used to gve them longer than the cows, maybe 90 days, because we wanted to get as many bred as possible, but I like this better. What a fellow is trying to do is to select the heifers that not only are able to conceive, but are going to get it done quick. I really seems to come back and help out getting them to breed the next time. Don't cut it too much, you just want to eliminate a few of the stragglers at the end. Additionally, you might want to give those first calf heifers a little more time to breed. Up to you.

Dan Hanrahan

Good suggestion Dan.
My heifers calve 2 months before the mature herd. 2 reasons: One, they calve first in their own pasture and I can watch them closer. Two, gives them that extra time they need to come in heat with the mature herd. Thus shortening my calving season.

Any heifers with calving problems or show up open get shipped. Have to ship a really good heifer tuesday because she is open. I really like her, but the rule is I don't winter open cows or heifers. They don't work for me they move on to eat someone elses hay for the winter. Especially when I know the bull is doing his job flawlessly.

Actually, certherbeef, you had a great one yourself. We also calve them before the rest of the herd. The other thing it does is give some of those calves out of the heifers a "head start" on the rest of the calves. I hear what you are saying on the "open cow" rule. Most of the time it isn't hard to bring them to the sale barn, but you sure hate to see a good cow or great looking heifer be among them. Nobody should eat for free, though.

thats the only place i see where set breeding kills you.heifers that milk good will put alot into raising their calf.therefore on a 60 day breeding season will come up open.i calve yr round here.if a cow misses having a calf.something is rong an they are culled.scott

Time will now tell....keep a close eye on her seventen days on...hohe that she settles, if not you have a decision to make.
Good luck.

Thank you all very much for the advice. This goes far beyond
what I could ever find in any book and I am soaking it ALL up.
I will keep a very close eye on her and hope she settles, she
has raised such a nice calf this time I would hate to get rid of
her but I very well understand the economics also. Any other
advice or wisdom is more than welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thank you again,
Toby

Well, its been 23 days since her last cycle and no signs of another cycle, I guess she's settled. I'll see how she does next time. Thank you all for your help.

Toby

Latest posts