Non-chemical methods of fly control?

Help Support CattleToday:

cabinron

Reaction score
The flies on the cattle are already very BADDDDDDDDDD. Are there any non-chemical methods of control? I see the chemical applicators at Tractor Supply - the ones that deliver a chemical when the animal rubs on it. Is there an organic product that would work in that applicator? Any other methods of control???

Feeling sorry for the cows/calves!!

flyswatter.gif

cabinron, welcome to the boards.
Some people promote cedar trees in the pastures as natural cattle rubs. I assume because of the tendency of cedars to leak sap. I use the rag rubs, a hand sprayer with a oil base chemical available at the farm store. Probably the same thing your finding at TS.

We have one of those rubs that you hang across the barn door or wherever. The Longhorns loved it and and they were always rubbing on it, but they were big on rubbing trees, barns, each other... The calves I have now don't like it and seem afraid to go under it, even though I put their grain inside to where they have to go under to get to it. It is like watching then do the limbo. I hung it pretty low because they are short and I wanted them to get the full benefit.

To answer your question, I don't know of any organic product that would stick for long, especially if they were rained on. We sprayed ours for flies in addition to the blocks we have out. We also sprayed their barn down real well and cleaned out the litter. Flies are bad this year, I noticed. I bet there are organic products to put on the rubs, but mine don't use it much, so they wouldn't get much benefit out of it.

There are surely websites advertising stuff like that.

You'd have to check but there is a product called "Nature's Defence" and it is natural. Niece uses it on her horse. Says it will stop flies but not much good on mosquitoes.

Mike

Anyone seen the commercial for the larvae you put out ad in turn the critter that hatches eats all the flies?

Think it works?

RGV

rgv":1u445xfm said:
Anyone seen the commercial for the larvae you put out ad in turn the critter that hatches eats all the flies?

Think it works?

RGV

Seen it, thought about trying it, haven't yet. Called "Fly Predators", aren't they? I'd be curious to know if it works too.

This reminds me of a children's book about a king who had mice so to get rid of them he got cats. Then he was overrun by cats so he got dogs. Then he was overrun by dogs so he got lions. Then he was overrun by lions so he got elephants. Then he got tired of elephant poop, so he got mice again...

If you get the critter that eats the flies, would it infest the barn like the flies did?

Vicious cycle! :eek: :shock: :eek:

cabinron":28567765 said:
The flies on the cattle are already very BADDDDDDDDDD. Are there any non-chemical methods of control? I see the chemical applicators at Tractor Supply - the ones that deliver a chemical when the animal rubs on it. Is there an organic product that would work in that applicator? Any other methods of control???

Feeling sorry for the cows/calves!!
For Fly Predators you can call; Kunafin at 1-800-832-1113 in Quemado, Tx. It's not a 1 time deal tho. You have to put them out every month during fly season. But you still need to use other means too. Best means I've found to help, are the jugs with some hamburger that rots in them. Makes good fertilizer for your plants too.

Roadapple":2mpcrmfi said:
Best means I've found to help, are the jugs with some hamburger that rots in them. Makes good fertilizer for your plants too.

Roadapple
would you explain what kind of jugs you are talking about -

I'm using the fly parasites from Kinafin that roadapple mentions. Just started a month ago. I also feed DE and garlic power. Using the fly parasites noticed certain species of flys are gone.

rgv":xx3vooit said:

Think it works?

RGV

Fly predators? Yes, they do work - very well if you get them out before fly season gets bad.

Lammie":giz120kp said:
If you get the critter that eats the flies, would it infest the barn like the flies did?

Vicious cycle! :eek: :shock: :eek:

No, they don't infest anything. They are shipped in a dormant state, and their life cycle is about a month long or so. A few days after arrival, they start hatching and, when you see 8 or 10 of them moving around in the package, you distribute them in different areas where the manure is. They eat the larvae during their lifecycle, die, and a new package arrives. Chemical fly control cannot be sprayed in the areas where the predators are or it will kill the predators, too.

mdmdogs3":l1cpmdl7 said:
Roadapple":l1cpmdl7 said:
Best means I've found to help, are the jugs with some hamburger that rots in them. Makes good fertilizer for your plants too.

Roadapple
would you explain what kind of jugs you are talking about -
They are a plastic jug, about a gal. in size, with a cap on top, which the flies enter, but can't get out. Reusable. Don't even buy the liquid they recommend, as it takes to long to start working. Besides it's $5.00. You can also get a couple of caps that sit on a plastic milk jug. About $9.50 for 2. Big jugs are roughly $16.00. I also use the fly strips. They work good also.

We use sulphur/salt blocks here when the flys are bad--instead of the regular blue blocks--apparently the sulphur builds up in the body and the scent deters the fliesm (so my vet says). It may not solve the problem for you but since we have started using them we have had virtually no pinkeye--we think because the flies stay away from the cows.

It's a little delayed, but cedar trees don't do it in my opinion. We have a ton of them in one lot and I don't notice much difference. There is even one that grows side ways that they love to rub. Garlic yeah I have some tablets that I feed to a preg. mare that really seem to help and my dog, I have some for her too. One down fall though, Can't be good for the greenhouse effect (wheww). Definitely wouldn't want to be caught in the mix of a herd that were eating them.

"The Big Stinky Flytrap"

http://www.bigstinkyflytrap.com/

Interesting website too...not cheap, but a friend of ours swears by it for her barn areas. I think all of these things have to be used in conjunction with removing manure piles. We use the fly predators too, but with some chickens running loose, I wonder if they aren't eating the fly predators???? I'd like to try those wide flypaper sheets in the barn, but I'll probably catch a chicken on it.

We started using an organic fly spray from Crystal Creek (No-Fly). It is a mix of essential oils: Soybean Oil 2%, Essential Oils Of: Cedar 0.80%, Peppermint 0.80%, Cinnamon 0.80%, Geranium 0.80%, Geraniol 0.80%, Lemon Grass 0.30 %, Rosemary 0.25%, Thyme 0.25%

By golly, it seems to work, but time will tell. It comes in water and oil based. Can be wiped, sprayed and put on oilers. Smells pretty good too. Haven't figured out the dilution, they give a wide range from direct from bottle to 1:20. Expensive, $49 per gallon.

http://www.crystalcreeknatural.com/

Billy

We make our own fly spray and it seems to work pretty well.
1/3 water,1/3 cider vineger,1/3 dawn dish soap...

You'd think it would draw flies but it seem to work as well as any boughten fly spray..

Gale Seddon":36njjtxn said:
"The Big Stinky Flytrap"

http://www.bigstinkyflytrap.com/

Interesting website too...not cheap, but a friend of ours swears by it for her barn areas. I think all of these things have to be used in conjunction with removing manure piles. We use the fly predators too, but with some chickens running loose, I wonder if they aren't eating the fly predators???? I'd like to try those wide flypaper sheets in the barn, but I'll probably catch a chicken on it.

Yes, I caught one on sticky paper. It was a mess to get off her.

Latest posts