No Winter Here

Help Support CattleToday:

This has been the worst winter on record. Usually we get 12 inches of snow for the winter, this year we got that in a week. I think we ended with about 2 feet. We had two weeks stayed below 29 degrees, got to -10 at one point. Its finally thawed out enough to start melting and it's almost gone. Wife's been a champ feeding and watering through it all while I've been parked with foot surgery.

Our local weather guru says we are in for some actual winter weather late Feb, and early March.

Bigfoot":2vgwrbzp said:
Our local weather guru says we are in for some actual winter weather late Feb, and early March.
One of the weather guys out of Bowling Green is saying that also. My cows seem to be going thru more hay than normal, not sure why. We did have a terrible wet spell for a while in January but only a few days of really cold weather.

Bestoutwest":c88wtjc3 said:
This has been the worst winter on record. Usually we get 12 inches of snow for the winter, this year we got that in a week. I think we ended with about 2 feet. We had two weeks stayed below 29 degrees, got to -10 at one point. Its finally thawed out enough to start melting and it's almost gone. Wife's been a champ feeding and watering through it all while I've been parked with foot surgery.
Hopefully during this time you'll also get her to fix a little fence, clean the pens and service the tractors. :lol: :lol: :hide:

herofan":caj5lciq said:
1982vett":caj5lciq said:
Hey.... it's February. Still plenty of time for cold nasty weather.....but yeah, I planted the potatoes 2 weeks while we had some pretty weather.

Very true. It may surprise us and come a huge snow in March. One of the biggest snows I remember was in March.

It has done it before.In '76 or so, I sunburned my arms plowing in a short sleeve shirt in late Feb.First or second Tues. in March,we had 6" of snow.

TexasBred":na4sguvt said:
Bestoutwest":na4sguvt said:
Hopefully during this time you'll also get her to fix a little fence, clean the pens and service the tractors. :lol: :lol: :hide:

Reloading today in the man cave raining steady. So far we haven't got the nasty stuff that went through San Antonio. Still time

TexasBred":3cydfjp9 said:
Bestoutwest":3cydfjp9 said:

She did have to fix some fence!

We've been having 50's-70's consistently for the last month or so. Had a cold snap here or there but no longer than 3 days. I'm sure not complaining but our calves seem to do better when we get a good long freeze, kills off some of extra bacteria.

In Indiana, it's "sectional snow". The "sectional" is the first round of the Indiana basketball tournament. More than once it has snowed feet on the sectionals. It's big wet snow. which melts in a couple days.

iII

Caustic Burno":fzx4kaes said:
dun":fzx4kaes said:
Redbuds are blooming here the most unusual thing though is lady bugs by the millions
We're over run with the lady bugs too. Red buds are starting to swell but that's all so far. Naked Ladys have been up for 2 weeks already.

Caustic Burno":33hpbywf said:
dun":33hpbywf said:
Redbuds are blooming here the most unusual thing though is lady bugs by the millions
CB I was burning a dead tree Saturday and noticed the lady bugs were everywhere in the grass. Haven't seen that many up around the house though, just in the pasture.

Red buds and dogwoods blooming now. I saw some lightning bugs in the woods last night.
(We've been badly over run with those lady bugs for about 2 months now--crawling all over the railings on the porch and up under the eaves of the roof)