No Winter Here

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
February will soon be over, and old man winter has decided not to visit my area so far. We had one little shot of snow in early January that lasted about a day. The rest has been mostly temperatures in the 50s, 60s, and 70s. After the harsh winters of 0 temperatures and multiple inches of snow of the past couple of years, I'm surprised to see such a total opposite winter this year. Most people probably think I'm crazy, but I actually enjoy a little true winter weather.

Our weather has been about the same. A few cold spells but short lived. Now high 60s low 70 but still no rain in over a month and a half.

We didn't either and I went through more hay than normal. So has everyone else in my circle that communicates on such matters. No one has actually figured out why

Caustic Burno":1o22vj4s said:
We didn't either and I went through more hay than normal. So has everyone else in my circle that communicates on such matters. No one has actually figured out why

That is puzzling. My hay consumption has been the same for December, January, and February. I would actually think it should be less since the ground hasn't been covered with snow half the time. I had to feed more prior to December due to drought.

I've enjoyed it to the fullest, and I've enjoyed the savings. The first. 2 weeks of January were wet and cold, and I fed a ton of hay. The cows have been leaving the hay rings on these pretty days and been out picking. I didn't pull my bulls last year, and my spring Calvert all moved up a few weeks. I've had 30 some odd calves already in 2017. If it'd been a bad winter, I'd have been in a bad spot. Luckily things worked out.

Caustic Burno":309e67iw said:
I was thinking the same the other day .. I have 7 rolls left in the barn .. I chalked it up to putting out more at one time since I try to hay depending on how many days I'm working ..but none of it was wasted it was all eaten .. kinda puzzling.

I started feeding hay about a month early and they have been going at it nonstop until recently. Chasing the little short green grazing now. Saw one tree with white blooms yesterday and a group of large trees budding out. Will be seeing bluebonnets soon I hope.

I'm ready for spring, neither the ryegrass or winter rye is doing much for me yet this year. And $140. a ton for good hay is taking it's toll, but I'm thankful for the hay and the cows are looking good. It's been a warm winter but nothing seems to be growing very well for some reason.

We have been lucky here. We will have alot of hay left over, weather has been alot more mild overall even with the cold rainy stuff we had back about a month ago. The up and down weather has been a little tough on the cows but we are getting through. Calving is due to start and I sure hope we don't go into "winter" again now. In fact had a surprise calf born, so guess the season has started. Cow must've gotten bred the day she went in with the bull and had the calf a few days early. Nice little heifer and is doing good. Got another due here soon, and there is a possibility that she is having twins. She's sure big enough. Let's hope for decent weather.
A little greening in the fields with the warmth, we could use some moisture too. The wind has been wicked for this area and this time of year.

Caustic Burno":3i57id3n said:

Put out 12 bales yesterday and they hardly touched it. Still have over 200 left over that I won't use this year. Trees are budding out and the hay fields are turning green again. Go figure.

Hey.... it's February. Still plenty of time for cold nasty weather.....but yeah, I planted the potatoes 2 weeks while we had some pretty weather.

JSCATTLE":3cf90i97 said:
Caustic Burno":3cf90i97 said:
I was thinking the same the other day .. I have 7 rolls left in the barn .. I chalked it up to putting out more at one time since I try to hay depending on how many days I'm working ..but none of it was wasted it was all eaten .. kinda puzzling.
I attributed it to such a dry fall and dry early winter.
I had plenty of ryegrass, but it's just now really coming on strong.

1982vett":n08vfzqr said:
Hey.... it's February. Still plenty of time for cold nasty weather.....but yeah, I planted the potatoes 2 weeks while we had some pretty weather.

Very true. It may surprise us and come a huge snow in March. One of the biggest snows I remember was in March.

TexasBred":2nxh6i1e said:
I started feeding hay about a month early and they have been going at it nonstop until recently. Chasing the little short green grazing now. Saw one tree with white blooms yesterday and a group of large trees budding out. Will be seeing bluebonnets soon I hope.

Same here. After that hard freeze we had to start feeding hay. They went at it with a vengeance. It has slowed with the green grass coming out now but they will still hit the bales. The Bermuda is green and growing.

It was 88 deg yesterday and in the 70s at 6am this morning. Hope we get a good shot of rain tonight to go along with the warmer temps.

Latest posts