No doubt ...it could be worse

Help Support CattleToday:

Wewild

Reaction score
Got a pasture full of black Lims that is over stocked and has been for a while. Got other pastures with red Lims that aren't. Grass is going down hard in the black pasture.

How do you make a 71 year old man with alzheimers who never liked to mix colors accept the fact that some of the blacks need to be moved.

Got talked to in a rough way tonight just talking about it.

Maybe I need to call RC.

You could sell the reds and move the blacks to the other pasture? Or just switch pastures if you have equal numbers of black and red.

Is there anyone he'll listen to? Or will he notice if you sneak a few to the sale barn?

Frankie":2xvlsyjc said:
You could sell the reds and move the blacks to the other pasture? Or just switch pastures if you have equal numbers of black and red.

Is there anyone he'll listen to? Or will he notice if you sneak a few to the sale barn?

Thanks for the reply. We can't do the pasture switching thing because it don't work out from the number stand point.

He usually Isn't to bad after what is done is done. We haven't crossed the integration barrier yet.

I would hate to sale when we have land to hold them. We definitely have got to down size on the black side.

We (at my mothers direction) have sold off his goats and some of his dogs and he just seem to be about as confused as if it was normal.

sometimes you just have to do it your way anyway. no worries, when it works he'll think its his idea.

Your mother is probably the answer. A good woman can often allow a man "come up with an idea" that will be the solution to the problem. This, in my opinion, is the true sign of a southern lady.

Wewild":34pga7mh said:
How do you make a 71 year old man with alzheimers who never liked to mix colors accept the fact that some of the blacks need to be moved.

Wewild - I'm not sure if it would work with your father, but I've learned that if I 'plant' ideas(accompanied by facts, benefits, etc.) in a conversational manner and tone - usually phrased as asking his opinion, then give Dad a few days to think about it - a lot of times, after he mulls it over for a while, it (or some variation) usually comes to pass. No, he hasn't been diagnosed with alzheimers, but I'm not so sure that he doesn't have a kissing cousin of it.

I take care of some cattle for an elderly man, not to far in my future. I think he is starting to have the same problem. I got tired of argueing with him and have taken to doing what ever is necessary. Afterward he always accepts what I have done and goes along with it as if that is what he would have done. I would not think it very easy to give up control of what you have always done. But I hope that one day there will be someone that will be willing to help me, for at least I will still be around the cattle.

Wewild":fde7f469 said:
Got a pasture full of black Lims that is over stocked and has been for a while. Got other pastures with red Lims that aren't. Grass is going down hard in the black pasture.

Maybe I need to call RC.

I lost a good friend to that horrible disease, it was really hard on the family. What I seen was they usually strike out at the ones they love the most. If your family is going through what I saw my friends go through may God have mercy and take him quick.
Not one cow is worth upsetting him or you.

Caustic Burno":1jkszv0x said:
Wewild":1jkszv0x said:

Maybe I need to call RC.

I lost a good friend to that horrible disease, it was really hard on the family. What I seen was they usually strike out at the ones they love the most. If your family is going through what I saw my friends go through may God have mercy and take him quick.
Not one cow is worth upsetting him or you.
its so sad.when you see ones mind go down to the point they know not family or freinds.i feel for you being pushed into that corner.you need to sale some cows.but doing so could trigger a bad reaction with your dad.so all i see you doing is feeding the cattle.or maybe culling the older cows off.your truely in a rock an a hard place with your dads illness.

Starting to have those kinds of issues with my dad and I am at a loss. There are times you just bust out crying about it for no reason. You pray for my dad, Wewild, and I'll pray for your's.

Thanks for the kind thoughts. I appreciate each and every post.

This is my third encounter with AZ in the family. My mother's dad and my dad's mother ... and now my dad. It is as some of you have said a cruel disease.

I don't know what this says for my future. I would rather be dead than put my family through it ... but hey it ain't their fault.

Life could be worse. We got a 50% cutting of hay off one place so far. Some folks around here ain't making that.

Life could be worse as I wouldn't have my girls.

Life could be worse as I wouldn't have my DAD.

Thank the Lord for my blessings.

We will make it .... we have too.

well put wewild, well put.

Alot of people when asked how its going, say 'oh it could be better.' I then say yeah well it could be worse too. Like my dad says, ' everyday above ground is a good day'

msscamp":1bni0tpa said:
Wewild - I'm not sure if it would work with your father, but I've learned that if I 'plant' ideas(accompanied by facts, benefits, etc.) in a conversational manner and tone - usually phrased as asking his opinion, then give Dad a few days to think about it - a lot of times, after he mulls it over for a while, it (or some variation) usually comes to pass. No, he hasn't been diagnosed with alzheimers, but I'm not so sure that he doesn't have a kissing cousin of it.

this works really well here too ;-) ;-)

I think that it allows him to maintain his feeling of control 8)

mdmdogs3":6r8iupqj said:
msscamp":6r8iupqj said:

I am all about this. I use the "this is how you taught me" statement and he really does know he don't have it all together. I avoid an arguement now at all cost eventhough he won't recall it the next day.

Wewild: You are carrying a heavy burden that I'm not sure I could deal with on a day to day basis. I will be thinking of, and praying for, you and your family.
I am fortunate in that Alzheimers doesn't run in my family. I did have one uncle by marriage that I was very close to who had it. Didn't know anyone, or even his own name, the last two years of his life. It's a terrible thing to see someone close end up like that. Wish I could do something for you.

Wish I could offer up some pearl of wisdom, but everyone else has come up with some good ideas.

The best I can offer to you are my prayers for you and your family. That's a tough situation.

Katherine

mdmdogs3":trpxrows said:
msscamp":trpxrows said:

mdm - I'm not sure what kind of control you're talking about here, but I know that with Dad it keeps his dignity, sense of pride, and knowing he's useful in tact.

Wewild, I wish there was something I could do. :(

My grandmother had dimensia and Alzheimer's fairly severe before she past. Definately not the same person. Sometimes you just have to do what's necessary and allow them to deal with it. We had to take my grandmother's guns away from her, I went out to check on her one night and she tried to shoot me for a burglar. You indeed have my sympathy, there are no easy answers.

cfpinz

Sorry about your situation, sounds tough but you've sure got a great attitude. God's given you some great things including your Dad, and you are smart enough to know it.

Latest posts