no cue what it is, I just need some information

Help Support CattleToday:

jofam

Reaction score
Thank for reading what is for me a tough situation. I've been looking forward to finding information for over a week about a very strange illness happening to one of my herds of about forty cows and I've come across this web page and I thought its dear members could help me. A month ago some of the cows began to weaken, in two days lay down and on the next day they were dead. It's been happening for a month or so. All of them were pregnant and calves of those that gave birth didn't have signs of any illness. So calves were o.k, but cows weren't. Nothing strange has been found in the food. Neither vets nor I have a cue. There are two separated herds in the same farm, and nothing happened to the other one. I`d appreciate any information or cue that anybody could give me. What may have been causing it? Autopsies have been carried out on several animals and nothing have dropped. Should we look for parasites or any other "bug". Therefore, It's been raining a lot for over two months and the enclosure where cows were have a dam for drinking, and weather weren't chilly at the time they incubated the illness. I`d be very grateful for your help.
I know my English is far from perfect, I'd appreciate your effort very much.

1982vett":37cy22j9 said:
Check the drinking water for toxins.

I think you may be onto something, botulism also springs to mind since the calves won't drink much if any water they won't be affected. Surely a necropsy would pick up on that though?

I'd check all the places they can drink for a dead animal, usually a rodent, as that is the most common cause of botulism here. Vaccinating against botulism with a booster 4 weeks later won't hurt anything and may very well help for the future.

. A month ago some of the cows began to weaken, in two days lay down and on the next day they were dead. It's been happening for a month or so. All of them were pregnant and calves of those that gave birth didn't have signs of any illness.
How many out of the herd of 40 have " weakened or layed down and died?"

Autopsies have been carried out on several animals and nothing have dropped. Should we look for parasites or any other "bug". Therefore, It's been raining a lot for over two months and the enclosure where cows were have a dam for drinking, and weather weren't chilly at the time they incubated the illness. I`d be very grateful for your help.
I know my English is far from perfect, I'd appreciate your effort very much.[/quote]

What part of the country are you located? Thanks in advance.

Latest posts