Nitrogen loss

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence":1g2ca5eb said:
Tbrake":1g2ca5eb said:
If you are going to work it in, why spend the money on agrotain? Unless there is no moisture whatsoever in the ground, I see no need for that.
Drilling is always better than broadcasting.
We plant 1200-1500 acres of wheat every fall to harvest. We both drill and broadcast to get I've the acres quicker. The drilled almost always has a better stand and a little better yield. Some years when you get the perfect weather there is not much difference.
We spread the wheat on loose ground, this hit it with a heavy pass of field cultivatior with points, not sweeps (always put the anydrous on this pass)
Then hit it again with a 60' 16 bar harrow.

I really consider the agrotain cheap insurance. We've had approximately 11 inches of rain this year. The majority months ago...it's pretty dry.
Thanks for your response.
Supa Dexta":1g2ca5eb said:
What isnt

Sorry... going back in October- December
The only thing worse than the deer are the hunters.

I cover Urea immediately....defined: As soon as I can get the broadcast spreader off the field and get the disc + spike tooth (trailing it) harrows back out there. On depth, root zone is where the fertilizer needs to be. Agree that unless you are putting some ridiculous amount of N out (which I can't afford) I never worried about burning seedlings. In my Soil, most of my seeding is done in the ¾" area based upon personal down on your hands and knees inspection after the fact.

On where is the root zone, I just rolled over my summer crop of SS and the per plant root structure was about 4" across and 2" deep. This is on SS that was still putting out as I mentioned earlier, starting to make it's 4th (miserable) cutting with 100F and no rain.

Since retiring I go with Ammonium Sulphate boosted with Urea to get the N up. The sulphur from the Sulphate seems to be good for mid PH Acid tilting, clay soils.

Latest posts