Nitrogen loss

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence

Keyboard cowboy
Reaction score
Im gonna gamble a little and try to get some oats in. Actually it's not really that early. Just very hot and dry. I'm wanting to put down 30-10-0 which includes a fair amount of urea. I almost always use agrotain and will on this application.
But due to the hot and dry condition and shaky rain chance. I'm planning to go ahead and disc it in. The field is already chiseled and disc to pretty dam good.
How deep should I try to get the fertilizer in before drilling. Or sling it out and let the drill.work it in?

M-5":2mdwyjmc said:
If it were me I would drill then come back with fert after its germinated and you got a good stand.
I agree with 5 here

M-5":1dvv96uo said:
If it were me I would drill then come back with fert after its germinated and you got a good stand.

I ain't doing it that way five. It's kinda like your pallet fences. I got my reasons. How deep you reckon I oughta set the disc.??

callmefence":f25hsfse said:
M-5":f25hsfse said:

I ain't doing it that way five. It's kinda like your pallet fences. I got my reasons. How deep you reckon I oughta set the disc.??

Its your money , put Fert at least 5 ot 6" in and seed no more than 1"

Unless your getting plum crazy with the fertilizer stir it in a little and drill. Your not putting it all in the drill row so I wouldn't worry too much about it.

You must see something I don't see in the forecast. Is agrotain what they put on the fertilizer so it doesn't evaporate as bad if we don't get enough rain?

5S Cattle":1ho9qlkl said:
You must see something I don't see in the forecast. Is agrotain what they put on the fertilizer so it doesn't evaporate as bad if we don't get enough rain?

Sometimes things have to be done when you can. Instead of when it's best. Yes agrotain is a nitrogen stabilizer.
Fwiw you don't want much rain. A quarter to a inch is about right to incorporate granular.

Check your radar.

We used to throw it out and cut it in as deep as the disc would cut. Essentially it was the third pass at the time. First being the chisel plow Juneish. Second with a disc somewhere late July to control cropgrass and weeds. Throw out fertilizer about this time of year and disc it in. Would start planting early September with or without rain.

Short answer, throw it out and disc it in.

I'd have the oats mixed - blended with the fertilizer and turn it all in together, just add a third more oats and it's better than drilling. I do this whenever I work the ground up and always get a better stand then when I no - till drill.

I like broadcasting and discing things in rarely use the drill but oats are cheap so not a big difference probably in prices and thicker stands but grass seed is laced with platinum so I have opted to use a drill on grass seed.

I'm with you on this one Fence. I like incorporating the fertilizer. And if you incorporate it (harrowing, disking) you won't have to worry about N loss. 30 units of N isn't that much so it's not gonna hurt the young seedlings. I also like Grits suggestion of blending a little extra seed and fertilizer and then harrowing it in. One pass to spread. One to cover it up. I use this method a lot if I'm not no tilling.

And I also understand well the need to do some things when you can even if it's not ideal. We have no control over the weather but I try to make sure I have enough moisture to germinate the seed when I plant. If you plant it and then only get a 1/10th or two it's liable to germinate and then die from lack of moisture. But sometimes you gotta take a chance and do what you gotta do.

I want to plant some oats and rye but it would die bc it's still too hot here and the armyworms would still be a threat. Not to mention it's pretty dry here. Always is this time of year it seems.

Can you not get something other than urea? It cost more but here you can calcium or sulpher coated. Might be worth the extra cost

If you are going to work it in, why spend the money on agrotain? Unless there is no moisture whatsoever in the ground, I see no need for that.
Drilling is always better than broadcasting.
We plant 1200-1500 acres of wheat every fall to harvest. We both drill and broadcast to get I've the acres quicker. The drilled almost always has a better stand and a little better yield. Some years when you get the perfect weather there is not much difference.
We spread the wheat on loose ground, this hit it with a heavy pass of field cultivatior with points, not sweeps (always put the anydrous on this pass)
Then hit it again with a 60' 16 bar harrow.

There's enough fertility in the soil for basic germination. Why not just wait until its started and you're for sure going to get rain and then put it on?

Could sit there a month waiting on rain, and you'll never get it all covered.

Supa Dexta":a5fe04jq said:
There's enough fertility in the soil for basic germination. Why not just wait until its started and you're for sure going to get rain and then put it on?

Could sit there a month waiting on rain, and you'll never get it all covered.

That's not possible

Tbrake":1f3j9vtc said:
If you are going to work it in, why spend the money on agrotain? Unless there is no moisture whatsoever in the ground, I see no need for that.
Drilling is always better than broadcasting.
We plant 1200-1500 acres of wheat every fall to harvest. We both drill and broadcast to get I've the acres quicker. The drilled almost always has a better stand and a little better yield. Some years when you get the perfect weather there is not much difference.
We spread the wheat on loose ground, this hit it with a heavy pass of field cultivatior with points, not sweeps (always put the anydrous on this pass)
Then hit it again with a 60' 16 bar harrow.

I really consider the agrotain cheap insurance. We've had approximately 11 inches of rain this year. The majority months ago...it's pretty dry.
Thanks for your response.
Supa Dexta":1f3j9vtc said:
What isnt

Sorry... going back in October- December

Latest posts