Nitrogen application

Help Support CattleToday:

Bill Elliott

Reaction score
I'm leasing 8 acres of land next to my farm. I did the soil sample and came back pH 6.5..only recommendation was to add N (60lbs/acre). It is a grass pasture, Tifton 9. I thought I would add about 30 lbs now and 30 lbs later. I plan to use for grazing while I rejuvenate one of my pastures. When should I apply the first application of N? Located in SE Alabama, Grass is still dormant. Historically, our last freeze is about last week of March but in reality we have probably had our last freeze...only had 4 four freeze night this winter..nothing below 28 degrees. Any suggestions? Thanks and cheers, Bill

Bill,

I would hit it with the full 60 units of N in a couple of weeks to jump start the spring green up. If you cut hay or graze it close, I would hit it again later on with another 60 units of N.

This is what I will be doing in a couple of weeks.

I'm in NE Ala about an hour east of Bham toward Atlanta.

Nowland Farms":1swrb63o said:
Bill,

I would hit it with the full 60 units of N in a couple of weeks to jump start the spring green up. If you cut hay or graze it close, I would hit it again later on with another 60 units of N.

This is what I will be doing in a couple of weeks.

I'm in NE Ala about an hour east of Bham toward Atlanta.

You wouldn't be somewhere around Anniston would you?

The liquid truck is making the rounds now with the nitrogen down here.

Come on Spring!

Mike,

Almost in Anniston. Actually, I'm 1 exit west of the Anniston/Oxford exit on I20 in the community of Coldwater in northern Talladega county. About 4 miles the way the crow flies from Talladega Speedway and Anniston Army Depot.

Nowland Farms":3mp13ivw said:
Mike,

Almost in Anniston. Actually, I'm 1 exit west of the Anniston/Oxford exit on I20 in the community of Coldwater in northern Talladega county. About 4 miles the way the crow flies from Talladega Speedway and Anniston Army Depot.

Gotcha. Used to live up there.

Bout got those chemical weapons burned up yet? :lol:

They say about half of them has been burned. Expect to have the other half burned by 2009.

Nothing to worry here about burning those chemical weapons. I don't see where they have affected my 2 headed, 7 legged calves yet. I though my 3 eyed dog was affected once because he was acting funny, but I was wrong, I think,because I can't remember. ;-)

Nowland Farms":70br50ba said:
They say about half of them has been burned. Expect to have the other half burned by 2009.

Nothing to worry here about burning those chemical weapons. I don't see where they have affected my 2 headed, 7 legged calves yet. I though my 3 eyed dog was affected once because he was acting funny, but I was wrong, I think,because I can't remember. ;-)

Funny! "Bynum-ized" cattle. :lol:

Bill, i agree i would go ahead and hit it with the whole 60 lbs. even though ph level of 6.5 is fine it is alittle high, you will get your best out of the nitrogen if you add the whole 60lbs. but say if you had a ph of 4.1 - 5.0 then maybe splitting it up "might" of been an option. but you got ph and it'll turn 100lbs of nitrogen very good. i'm in the NW corner of our fair state and i wont be doing any spreading for maybe another month it's still cold and wet here.

Thanks for the advice...I'll apply 60lbs N/acre about 15 March or 200lbs of 34-0-0 per acre...think my math is right. Thanks again..cheers, Bill

LazyM, where are you located if you don't mind my asking? I'm in Walker county. Are we neighbors?

Bill, is the Tifton 9 everything it was promised to be? Do you think it surpasses the Pensacola variety?

J.T. I'm really not familar with the Pcola variety. I do like Tif-9. well adapted for our climate and soil in SE Alabama. Grows very well but I'll be able to tell you if I "really" like it in a couple of months. I'm discing under one of my pastures and starting over with Tif-9. Hopefully will have grass growing by end of May. We shall see!!!! Cheers, Bill

Bill Elliott":rdnh5xhp said:
Thanks for the advice...I'll apply 60lbs N/acre about 15 March or 200lbs of 34-0-0 per acre...think my math is right. Thanks again..cheers, Bill

If you are using Amonum Nitrate which is 33% N (33 Lbs N per 100 lbs of material) you would need:
60# / 33 = 1.93 or 193 lbs per acre
If you are using Urea @ 46% N (46 Lbs N per 100 lbs of material) then you would need:
60 # / 46 = 1.30 or 130 lbs per acre

I think it is too early to put out N for summer pasture. I am waiting till grouth starts whitch is mid April in middle east Alabama.
I do plan to plant field corn next week though. That will be the first full week in March. We will put out liquid N with the planters and then add the rest with the spreader when it comes up.

J. T.":1mf1v9u6 said:
LazyM, where are you located if you don't mind my asking? I'm in Walker county. Are we neighbors?

J.T. sorry i have'nt replyied i've been busy calving. i'm in lawerence county so yea i think we're neighbors, matter of fact i think we're nextdoor neighbors.

Latest posts