Next weeks 4 playoff teams, football

Help Support CattleToday:

It's decided. Penn State is out.

The College Football Playoff pairings are set.

After months of debate and 14 weeks of games, the committee came down with its final decision Sunday.

No. 1 Alabama will play No. 4 Washington in the Peach Bowl.

No. 2 Clemson and No. 3 Ohio State will face off in the Fiesta Bowl.

The decision, as with other years past, is sure to create controversy.

The Buckeyes are the first non-conference champion to make the playoff in the three years of the current system. The Huskies, while winners of the Pac-12, had a non-conference schedule of Rutgers, Idaho and Portland State.

Penn State at 11-2 was left out. The Nittany Lions won their last nine games, including defeats of Ohio State and Wisconsin, to win the Big Ten title. Michigan finished 10-2 and beat Penn State by 39 points.

Both will have to settle for other major bowls. Those pairings will come out later Sunday.

Committee Chairman's explanation:
http://www.foxsports.com/college-footba ... utt-120416

Yup, no surprises in the committee's selections or match ups. Should be a lot of fun to watch.
After beating Ohio State at Happy Valley, Penn State was a different team.
They played with confidence and belief in themselves from then on and it made all the difference in their season.

I would like to see
Penn State vs USC
and
Michigan vs Oklahoma
but
Michigan vs Western Michigan would be great to see, because you just know every Western Michigan player has a chip
on their shoulder about not being considered for a scholarship by Michigan.

greybeard":3p9muncv said:
Alan":3p9muncv said:
Son of Butch":3p9muncv said:
As I expected #8 Penn State upset #6 Wisconsin 38-31 on the neutral field in Indianapolis.
Making 9 wins in a row for them including beating Ohio State after starting the season 1-2.
Penn State started out flat (28-7) but made the adjustments at the half and dominated the game from then on.
Committee will take Clemson as they beat #23 Virginia Tech 42-35. Yes they will also put Ohio State in as the 2 seed.
It sux to be Michigan and Penn State as both are as good or better than Clemson.

Yup this could be bad. Penn St beats Ohio St and then wins their conference and may still be out because of the Buckeyes. Or it could suck to be Washington, they may get bump by Penn St because the Huskies had a very easy non conference schedule.

Bama is in as #1 seed, Clemson should be #2.... but The non conference winner, Buckeyes will be #2 putting Clemson at #3. I think Penn bumps the Huskies for the fourth spot. Should have to be a conference winner to get in. The bright side is it will probably push an eight team playoff quicker.

One of those teams has twice as many losses as the other.
"Ohio State lost once.

Penn State lost twice.

The Buckeyes beat three teams that are currently ranked in the top 10 of the College Football Playoff rankings, including two of them on the road.

The Nittany Lions defeated two teams that are currently ranked in the top 10 -- one at home and one at a neutral site.

If the CFP selection committee decides on Selection Day to include No. 2 Ohio State -- and not No. 7 Penn State -- among the four teams that will compete in the third edition of the playoff, its reasoning has to be as simple as that."

I can't really argue with you GB, I know of the 1loss Buckeyes and two loss Penn. it may go back to when Nebraska a non conference winner jumped Oregon and played Miami in the National Championship game. Oregon settled for Colorado and handled them, Miami throttled the Huskers. I just feel a team has to be a conference champion to be in the playoffs. There are 10 conferences, five power conferences..... one power five is out every year, this year two if both Ohio St and Penn St get in.

My Predictions
1 Alabama 40
4 Washington 24
Alabama crushes Washington, hope I'm wrong and it's not a boring runaway Peach Bowl

3 Ohio State 34
2 Clemson 31
This 3 seed upsetting the 2 doesn't really count as an upset at all to me

Alabama wins title game by 8 [roll tide]

Penn State and Mn Gophers uphold the Big 10's proud tradition of losing bowl games
Rose Bowl
#9 USC 30
#5 Penn St 24
An upset that brings USC season ending respect that it deserves

Holiday Bowl
Washington State 31
Minnesota 26

Orange Bowl
Michigan 30
Florida State 24
Gaters keep it close vs much better heart broken Michigan in what is almost a home game for the Gaters in Miami

Cotton Bowl
Wisconsin 31
Western Michigan 24

Sugar Bowl
Oklahoma 24
Auburn 20

note worthy news
1994 Heisman winner Colorado rb Rashann Salaam age 42 found dead in a Boulder Colorado park, autopsy pending.
He was the youngest player to rush for 1,000 yds in the NFL - 21 yrs 77 days old
Injuries, fumbles and marijuana use led to a short disappointing NFL career.

Son of Butch":3f1lo2t4 said:
#36 Miami (10-4) beat #14 West Virginia (10-4)
Miami 31
W. Vir 14

#49 Northwestern 31
#22 Pittsburgh 24

#27 Utah 26
#60 Indiana 24

#38 Kansas State (10-4) 33
#30 Texas A&M (8-6) 28
21 Tennessee (9-4) 38
28 Nebraska (9-4) 24

18 Stanford (10-3) 25
37 North Carolina (8-6) 23

11 Florida State (10-3) 33
6. Michigan (10-3) 32

35 Minnesota (9-4) 17
26 Washington State (8-6) 12

34 San Diego State (11-3) 34
24 Houston (9-4) 10

27 Western Kentucky (11-3) 51
46 Memphis (8-6) 31

53 Baylor (7-6) 31
25 Boise State (10-3) 12

55 Georgia (8-5) 31
54 TCU (6-7) 23

59 Wake Forest (7-6) 34
23 Temple (10-4) 26

47 BYU (9-4) 24
50 Wyoming (8-6) 21

42 Air Force (10-3) 45
84 South Alabama (6-7) 21

overtime
80 South Florida (11-2) 46
76 South Carolina (6-7) 39

Son of Butch":17lnm8o1 said:
My Predictions
1 Alabama 40
4 Washington 24

Alabama 24
Washington 7

3 Ohio State 34
2 Clemson 31
Clemson 31
Ohio State 0

Alabama wins title game by 8 [roll tide]
I'm changing to 7 to take advantage of 7.5 pt line
Alabama 30
Clemson 23

Penn State and Mn Gophers uphold the Big 10's proud tradition of losing bowl games
Rose Bowl
#9 USC 30
#5 Penn St 24
An upset that brings USC season ending respect that it deserves
USC 52
Penn St 49
101 points!
I think they broke the scoreboard

Holiday Bowl
Washington State 31
Minnesota 26
Minnesota 17
Washington St 12
I'm happy to be wrong on this pick

Orange Bowl
Michigan 30
Florida State 24
Gaters keep it close vs much better heart broken Michigan in what is almost a home game for the Gaters in Miami
Florida State 33
Michigan 32

Cotton Bowl
Wisconsin 31
Western Michigan 24
Wisconsin 24
Western Michigan 16
I kinda got one game right :)
I still think Michigan vs Western Michigan would have been more fun

Sugar Bowl
Oklahoma 24
Auburn 20

Oklahoma 35
Auburn 13

Oklahoma was a better team than I thought

It was a great year and a bunch of bad finishes for football in Washington. First Eastern Washington lost in the final seconds of the semi finals of the division IIA playoffs. Them Washington State lost to Minnesota. That was just embarrassing. And then UW makes it to the big dance but has to play Alabama. Next the Seahawks make the playoffs but I am afraid that will be one and done........ Maybe they will surprise me........ I might also win the lottery. The odds are about the same.

Dave":3uixtwtn said:
It was a great year and a bunch of bad finishes for football in Washington.
First Eastern Washington lost in the final seconds of the semi finals of the division IIA playoffs.
Washington State lost to Minnesota. That was just embarrassing. Yup... LOL :banana:
Next the Seahawks make the playoffs but I am afraid that will be one and done....
Seattle 27
Detroit 20

Losing at home to Detroit would be really embarrassing...
but Stafford and the Lions lead the NFL in 4th quarter come from behind victories.

Latest posts