Newest Addition To The Herd

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus In Texas

Reaction score
This is a bred heifer we purchased a couple weeks ago from Dreamcatcher Ranch in San Marcos. Her sire is Rito 1I2 of 2536 6I6 and her Dam is a donor for Maddox Twin Lakes and Southern. Her dam is the $47,000 top selling female of the 2005 Dreamcatcher sale, DRMCTR 1407 Design 2B85. She is 1407 daughter out of a Precision daughter of G A R Ext 614. She is a January 2006 bred for a January 2008 calf by G A R New Design 5050 sexed as a bull.

DRMCTR_1I2_Rita_6217_jpeg.jpg

Her registration number is #15546131

Let me know what you think.

Angus In Texas":33lr9vht said:
This is a bred heifer we purchased a couple weeks ago from Dreamcatcher Ranch in San Marcos. Her sire is Rito 1I2 of 2536 6I6 and her Dam is a donor for Maddox Twin Lakes and Southern. Her dam is the $47,000 top selling female of the 2005 Dreamcatcher sale, DRMCTR 1407 Design 2B85. She is 1407 daughter out of a Precision daughter of G A R Ext 614. She is a January 2006 bred for a January 2008 calf by G A R New Design 5050 sexed as a bull.

DRMCTR_1I2_Rita_6217_jpeg.jpg

Her registration number is #15546131

Let me know what you think.

I think she's beautiful. Congratulations.

I think this is a beautiful heifer. Good legs, Long body and not too much condition. Too many people want to see animals with a BCS (Body Score Condition) of a 9 or even a 10 to think they look good. That is bull crap because you put that BCS 9 or 10 in the pasture and the grass will go on her body and not in the milk production. or they will not breed back. Great animal only negative would be heart gerth or depth of rib. Breed her to a bull that has a deep dody. :D

She was a little green when this picture was taken back in June.... she has really filled out nicely now and is a very well muscled female..... we are looking forward to her progeny in the future.

Very nice female, I agree will Dillar. Would be happy to own her as well.

My critical showring eye would like to see her a little smoother on the top of the shoulder. and a little more hip.
However that is not what you bought her for. As performance animals go she appears to be a neat package.
If those numbers hold up she'll be a star in the performance angus circles. (and yes thats where the money is) Ive got some "showy" cattle and some "performance" cattle. I would not hesitate one minute to own her if she were in my budget.
By the way my son is class of 07. Are you the 06 Aggie or is it a son or daughter. I thought I knew who you were but not so sure if you are the 06'er.

Avalon,

You are right on about the top of the shoulder. And the hip isn't as bad as this pic makes it look but she is not extremely wide hipped and not narrow either.

We actually lucked into a really good deal on her. The lot that sold before her was a choice lot where they sold you choice of 140A or 140B and the ranch kept the one that was left. The guy that bought the choice lot got it for $27,000 and when they asked which one he wanted he told them to give him either one that it didn't matter and so while the crowd was trying to figure out what the guy was doing they started selling this lot and we ended up getting a really good deal on her. The ranch owner was really shocked we got her for what we did and told us we got the deal of the sale.... we were second guessing ourselves after the sale seeing as how worse heifers brought almost double what we payed.

I am class of 2006 graduated with a BS in Agriclutural Systems Management in December of 2006

She will probably won't be flushed after this first calf because we are going to push to get her bred back for a calf in december to more closely match our other cows. We would rather push her a little than to hold her open for almost a year. However if we find someone that wants to buy some embryos we will probably go ahead and flush her then. Either way it is about generating some revenue.

But for the rebreeding I am looking at Mile High or possibly Predestined not sure yet though..... I really like the Mile High's that we have on the ground now. Good thick growthy calves.

Mile High would be fairly tight breeding since her dam is a full sister in blood to Mile High but any suggestions anyone has on some really good bulls that they have seen progeny out of is always welcome.

TNMasterBeefProducer":oa8ig18y said:
No offense but i cannot see why anyone would want to purchase embryos from a funnel butt angus heifer. Go figure. Granted she is not that bad over all but has that typical funnel butt Angus look.

I dont see why people pay so much for Wagyu ribeyes but they do.

Breeding her to Predestined would put 036 in the top and the bottom of the calves' pedigree too so that also is breeding a little close.

She's a pretty heifer with lots of heifer bulls in her pedigree. I'd look for something to add some thickness and keep frame from getting out of hand. Some EXT, 6807, Future Direction, 004-type bulls.

Probably the same as what I call hatchet butted. Wider toward the head but narrows down to razor thin through the tail or hind quarters. He's probably looking for something that looks like a simi or maine cross butt in every breed ( it just dont happen) . Sometimes we get close but when the breed moves more toward traits such as retail product and carcass weight, some of the pretty traits that I even like such as a big hip and bone will have to give way.

Angus In Texas":3v849t7l said:
She was a little green when this picture was taken back in June.... she has really filled out nicely now and is a very well muscled female..... we are looking forward to her progeny in the future.

Please don't take this as critique because I am not qualified to critique cattle . I think she is beautiful anyway. There is a little something special to her in the pictures that is maybe an intangible quality. She stands Proud and strong and I like that.

As she is filling out do you see her top line leveling out more ?

Her topline is more level than this picture shows however she still could be better in the area right behind the shoulders. But you will never find the perfect cow so we will just try to breed her to bulls that will help to improve that without hurting elsewhere.

She is anything but funnel butted. She has more then acceptable rear. However I would like to see a little more depth and spring. But she might gain that as she grows into her length.

Latest posts