Newborn Calf...rough start

Help Support CattleToday:

LB2727

Reaction score
One of our older beef cows had a heifer calf early Tuesday morning. Calf is quite small and momma has some pretty large teats. Part way through the day we decided that calf hadn't nursed but she was exploring so we remained hopeful. We decided to bottle feed her some colostrum. She only got about 1 pint though. Kept checking and by Wednesday late afternoon decided to take calf from mom and bottle raise it...it was obvious she had not nursed yet and the cow is too protective to let us help (yes, our goal this year is to get a setup that allows us to use a chute or something if needed). Fed calf 2 pints of replacer and she sucked the bottle down great. During the night, gave her another 2 pints. Then another 2 pints Thursday morning. Now tonight (Thursday night) she won't drink from the bottle so we tubed her, 2 pints. She still looks like a normal calf...bright and alert. No fever, poop is good. Not dehydrated. Just not sucking and her tongue doesn't seem to know what to do when the nipple is in her mouth. Seems strange that she sucked a bottle good for two feeds then quit for the next feed. Is it just a sign of the beginning of the end? Not the idea start with inadequate colostrum.

Might want to try the Madigan Squeeze. Also, selenium and Vitamin B Complex.

She didn't want to suck Friday so we tubed 2 pints in her around 2pm. Plus gave her some vit shots. At 9pm that night she drank 2 pints like a normal calf! But now Sat morning she is back to not sucking. Going to try again in a bit before tubing her. Vet checked her out Fri and said she seems healthy, just was weak from not eating enough and to tube feed if she won't drink. This calf just confuses us.

Glad you took her to the vet - even though the result was healthy but weak. Have you tried anything like Nursemate ASAP or even just a little syrup or molasses for energy? Good luck! She'll probably figure it out pretty soon.

U stated the calf is quite small. Did the vet weigh it? Does it sleep alot?

Everything you are describing sounds like to me, is perfectly normal for a calf of your description.

But of coarse, I'm not there, and you are!

It USUALLY won't hurt a calf like that to skip a meal. Tubing is a very very last resort to me!

I hope to hear good news. And hope the lil fart comes right along for ya. I especially love the ones that don't ever hit that "wall"
The ones who take a bottle twice a day every day and never skip a beat at the beginning worry me to death! Most of them almost always hit that "wall" briefly. Sometimes for a day. Sometimes for 2 or 3 days. (Sporadically taking the bottle over those days) It can be aggravating for sure. Especially since you've already made the bottle and the ungrateful lil snot don't want it. Remember.... the lil calf has no regard for time. It don't care if your late for work, etc. 😀

I've also had very good luck refrigerating the bottle for 12 hrs. But I've NEVER re-heated a bottle more than once. If they won't take it the second time, about 12 hrs later, it gets dumped and a new one made for the following feeding. I usually re-heat in a sinkful of HOT water. Easy enough.

Good luck again! I know you'll get it going!

She didn't want to suck Friday so we tubed 2 pints in her around 2pm. Plus gave her some vit shots. At 9pm that night she drank 2 pints like a normal calf! But now Sat morning she is back to not sucking. Going to try again in a bit before tubing her. Vet checked her out Fri and said she seems healthy, just was weak from not eating enough and to tube feed if she won't drink. This calf just confuses us.
I'm out near Weatherford OK…I have a jersey nurse cow. We have used her as a foster mom for friends bottle calves when I don't have any. If you are in a pinch, she could raise your calf for 60 days to get a great start.

I meant to update the other day but now I'm glad I didn't cause things suddenly changed. Starting Sunday (so 3 days ago) she changed from not wanting to drink and looking a bit down, to getting up when she say us and looking for a meal! She took the bottle like a normal calf! We were feeding her 2 pints 3 times a day (like 8 hrs apart). Yesterday we started doing 3 pints for her early morning and last night bottle then just 2 for the mid day one. We would let her out and she would go running around while we were outside. Healthy looking calf. All was great every day until this afternoon. Fed her at 1pm today and then a few hours later she seemed a little sluggish getting up and not peppy. Went to feed her her bottle at 8pm and she was very lethargic. Had to pick her up but she can stand on her own. No desire to drink. Normal temp. Not scouring. We are stumped. The only thing we were iffy about the past few days was her stool...it was good consistancy but wasn't too sure about the color. Always a brown and seemed to be getting a bit darker today. Sunday it had some bloodish look in it but thought it could have been from the diet change or tubing side affect? That seemed to have gone away. So we just gave her LA200 cause thats all we had. Will call the vet in the morning if we think she isn't too far gone.

Well that ain't good but thanks for the reply!

2 pints isn't enough.
Did u mean 2 quarts??

I always feed 2 quarts, twice a day. Some feed 2 qts, 3 times a day!
Yeah, 2 pints 3x a day. Vet thought that was good to start and then said offer 3 pints which we just started the other day. Calf probably weighs 50lbs at most.

Well this morning she was back to her normal self! Bouncing around and hungry. Sucked the bottle great. Only gave her 2 pints instead of the 3 in case that was the cause for her not seeming well.

Holy cow she's cute as a button!!

If she seems thrifty, work her up to it.

Sometimes those lil bitty ones take some adjustment. I've got a lil 60lb calf will down a 2 qt bottle like it's nothing and will do it every time.

Your will get there. Don't let her eat much hay yet!

Holy cow she's cute as a button!!

If she seems thrifty, work her up to it.

Sometimes those lil bitty ones take some adjustment. I've got a lil 60lb calf will down a 2 qt bottle like it's nothing and will do it every time.

Your will get there. Don't let her eat much hay yet!
She sure is!

Thank you for your inputs and encouragement! I think we will hold off on offering her any solids until she goes a while without any more downs!

Sounds like she got her system overloaded a bit, KIMG5677.JPGKIMG5678.JPGanytime I have one with blood in their poop, I immediately give them a shot of ivermectin, for worm's. I currently have a baby calf that probably weighs 40-45 she was a twin, to a heifer. I'm feeding her, 1 Quart 4 time's a day, spread out over a 14 hour period every day.

Latest posts